Authors vs. Goodreads Authors vs. Goodreads discussion

GR ratings and reviews

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Duane (new)

Duane It seems to me it would be best to ignore this book that's not really a book, it's a review-fake review of GR readers and their ratings/reviews. It's an opinion, one persons opinion, and by reading, rating, and reviewing it, you are making her point for her.

There are some faults with the ratings/review system on GR. I am a reader, not a writer, not a professional reviewer, so my reviews are just my thoughts and opinions on the books I read. That's probably the case with most of the reader/members. Nevertheless they are honest reviews and ratings and when taken accumlatively they give a fair assessment of the book. But there are some readers that write good, even excellent reviews, that can be compared
with any professional reviewer. There are some readers though that are aggressively negative, trollish, that entertain themselves by giving one star ratings and negative reviews. In many instances they haven't even read the book. As a reader I ignore those and authors should do the same.

There are millions of members on Goodreads, but most of us work within a small sample of a few dozen or a few hundred "friends" that we read and share opinions with, and our experience is nothing like what Zoe Desh describes. So ignore this book, read it, fine, just remember, it's one persons opinion.

message 2: by McGee Magoo (last edited Jan 24, 2015 07:50AM) (new) - added it

McGee Magoo Trolls are on every social media outlet. It's just the way it is, unfortunately. But the readers on here who are serious about using the ratings and reviews can spot trolls.

The problem with this rant is that she's under the impression that Goodreads should be for authors. Goodreads is for readers. And not necessarily bloggers or semi-professional reviewers, but any and all readers.

She's petulant and wants to control how people view the work, but once something is published it's then fair game for public consumption and criticism.

Even with its issues, Goodreads is excellent for it's purpose--as a tool for READERS. Isn't the tagline something like, "Find your next great read"? Not "Get your ego stroked by readers".

message 3: by Bee'sBooks (new)

Bee'sBooks Shannon wrote: "Trolls are on every social media outlet. It's just the way it is, unfortunately. But the readers on here who are serious about using the ratings and reviews can spot trolls.

The problem with this ..."

Whoo, you tell her Shannon!

message 4: by John (new)

John She's a he, btw. Zoe Desh is a pseudonym. Wonder if Anne Rice knows about this?