Bizarro Fiction discussion

FEBRUARY NBAS MONTH > General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 299 comments Mod
This is kinda like the 'dump.' Anything that doesn't relate directly to one of the books and isn't an AMA question can go here. My plan is as follows: first week of February: Deep Blue. Second week: SuperGhost, and third week Pax Titanus (alphabetical order...that OCD loves me). Anyone down for reading on my schedule?

Oh, and pretty, pretty please: NO SPOILERS!!!! Or at least, let us know a spoiler is headed our way so we can avoid it! Thanks!!!!

message 2: by Rodney (new)

Rodney | 81 comments Your schedule sounds good to me

message 3: by Teresa (new)

I'm crazy stupid anal and OCD and I always prefer having a schedule so everyone's kinda on the same page (no pun intended) when we discuss certain parts. That way there's no spoilers and whatnot. I'll make a 'real' schedule for each week and all the anal people can follow me if they want. All the spontaneous, fun loving people can wing it, though. Too many syllabi in my life causes me to need that damn schedule to stay on track, though! ;-)

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Actually, I kinda fuckered up the schedule. Brian is going t be out of town until the 13th. So now, I'm going reverse alphabetical order. Here's my schedule so I don't get off track:
Pax Titanus:
Sunday Feb 1st-Wed. Feb 4th: beginning through page 59
Wed. Feb 4th- Sat Feb 7th: page 59 through the end

SuperGhost:
Sunday Feb 8th- Wed Feb 11th: beginning through page 52
Wed. Feb 11th through Sat Feb 14th: page 52 through end

Deep Blue:
Sunday Feb 15th through Wed Feb 18th: beginning through page 40
Wed Feb 18th through Sat. Feb 21st: page 40 through end

Then that leaves a week to do the AMA. Although NBAS books are usually so good I end up reading them in one sitting. I fucking need this schedule, though, so I have no reason whatsoever for falling behind. This month should be better than last month, because I've vowed to the stars above to sacrifice much more time to try and keep this thing going! So February is going to be awesome, so long as all you guys will join in! I know all three of these titles are available for the Kindle, so they won't set ya back that much. And if someone is really, really, really interested in participating, but doesn't have the funds, I can donate a Kindle version of at least one of these books. I want as many peoples as we can get!!! We have to show this new class how welcoming we are! <3 <3 <3

message 5: by Rodney (new)

Rodney | 81 comments I did the same Kris. I will be able to pick up Pax Titanus on the 30th though and be back on track.

message 6: by Teresa (new)

I'm so sorry, guys. I have all three on Kindle, so if anyone needs to borrow one, I'd be happy to share!!!

message 7: by Rodney (new)

Rodney | 81 comments No worries...Totally understandable.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Thanks for doing this Teresa. I know that I speak for all of the N-BAStards when I say that we really appreciate you putting this together and we're excited to hear what everyone thinks.

Greetings all. Thanks for reading!

message 9: by Teresa (new)

You are just too cool for school, Tom! Well, wait...you teach school, so you better tone down the awesomeness before they throw you out for being too awesome!!! <3

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments But my awesome goes to 11!

message 11: by KATHERINE (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments I have Pax Titanus (on my desk, constantly being re-read in parts), but I can not afford to get the other two books. Otherwise, I would LOVE to participate. They are all on my current to-read list. Being new to Bizarro as a genre, it's my goal to start with the newer authors first and then move into the more established.

I don't know why . . but it makes sense to me!

message 12: by KATHERINE (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Tom.... your Awesome is over 9000.......

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Katherine wrote: "I have Pax Titanus (on my desk, constantly being re-read in parts), but I can not afford to get the other two books. Otherwise, I would LOVE to participate. They are all on my current to-read lis..."
All the NBAS authors are new, so we gotta show them some love! Do you have a Kindle? I'd be more than happy to let you borrow the other two...and if you don't have a Kindle, but really wanna participate, I'm sure we can make some magic happen that'll end up with you holding at least one of those books in your hand! Brian is going to send me a copy of Deep Blue once he gets some, and I can donate my non-signed one to you. Hopefully, it'll all happen before we start reading, though! ;-)

~Teresa~

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Katherine,

You are too kind! Glad to have you in the group. I know you'll add much to the discussion :)

Tom

message 15: by KATHERINE (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Theresa- I do not currently have a kindle. The NBAS is absolutely the ones I want to read first, and are top of this years reading list for me. I am hoping I can purchase at least one early in the month (as we are reading Pax Titanus), because I'd love to be reading them with everyone else.

If you can donate a book, I would be beyond over the moon.Everyone I have spoken to in the Bizarro community has just been stellar, and I'm really happy to have discovered it all through Tom.

Tom- Thank you. I'm glad to be in the group.

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Rock and roll!

message 17: by Teresa (new)

Okay, thanks to the awesomeness that is Tom Lucas, I've got a signed copy headed my way. Which also means I have an UNsigned copy up for grabs. Who needs a copy of Pax Titanus? And please, if you win the book, do yhe the right thing and write a review. I'm pretty generpus donating my duplicate copies, but I don't wanna give them to people that won't write reviews! Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine!

message 18: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments (wheezes) neeeeeed...reviewsssss....

message 19: by KATHERINE (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Not only is it not difficult to write reviews, it's a lot of fun. Especially on Bizarro pieces.

message 20: by Teresa (new)

I got a PM from an inpassioned reader that writes tons of reviews, so I'll send it to them tomorrow, and we'll have yet another participant! YAY!

message 21: by KATHERINE (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Awesome!

message 22: by The Grim Reader (new)

The Grim Reader | 2 comments I haven't read Deep Blue but Pax Titanus and Superghost are both excellent reads, and I highly recommend them.

message 23: by Rick (new)

Rick (rwestbrock) | 143 comments I bought Pax over the weekend so I am in for that one (at least).

message 24: by Teresa (new)

I really hope we get a lot of people for Deep Blue! Out of the whole 2014 NBAS class, everyone seems to be buying Pax and SuperGhost because Tom and Scott are a bit more outgoing and promote their books more than Brian does. So can that be a deal, Katherine? Since you only have Pax, I can donate Deep Blue so I know I won't be reading it alone? I may have to wait til Friday for payday, though...

message 25: by Teresa (new)

Or actually, I can just send you my UNsigned copy! Brian will sell me a signed copy when he gets some in, and if he doesn't getvthem in before we're scheduled for his book, well, I'll just read it on the Kindle! All the NBAS books come with a free Kindle Matchbook, so I've got them all in hard copy and Kindle version. So Deep Blue is for you, Katherine my dear. PM me your addy and I'll get it out to you tomorrow! <3

message 26: by KATHERINE (last edited Jan 27, 2015 03:36AM) (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Thank you Teresa. I will def read with you, and I'll write a review for amazon, Goodreads, and my blog like I did for Pax... actually, I'm doing that for anything I read from now on.

You rock my socks!

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments The enthusiasm in this group is infectious. Can't wait for next week!

message 28: by KATHERINE (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments I am writing up a blog post to plug the discussion and authors/books. I've linked to the amazon pages for each of the books, and to Tom's blog and giveaway, but do either of the other two authors have blogs that I can link to?

I'd love to link out to everyone, and I won't be posting up until tomorrow morning.

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get reading.

message 29: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments That is so cool of you Katherine! Thank you! Brian has a blog but there is only one post on it. Scott however, maintains a website. I don't have the link handy, can anyone help?

message 30: by KATHERINE (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Hah! Through some facebook magic, I've found Scott's website. I also went ahead and pinched pennies and purchased his book, so I will definitely be able to participate in all three readings this month. And, hopefully, I'll have one other related piece of good news before the night is out. We shall see.

message 31: by Teresa (new)

Katherine, I sent your copy of Deep Blue out today. Estimate for delivery is Friday, but don't hold your breath. ESPECIALLY with this blizzard shit going on! But it IS on the way! <3

message 32: by KATHERINE (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Sweet! I'm not expecting SuperGhost until Tuesday, but any which way, they'll all be here in time for readings.

Thank you again, my appreciation is endless.

message 33: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments And that's why this is the best group on GR.

message 34: by Teresa (new)

No prob, Katherine! I LOVE spreading the joy!!! :-)

And thanks, Tom! You know this is THE bestest group EVER! ;-)