Bizarro Fiction discussion

SuperGhost
This topic is about SuperGhost
FEBRUARY NBAS MONTH > Scott Cole's SUPERGHOST

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 299 comments Mod
And here's where SuperGhost will be discussed. This is an AWESOME class of NBAS authors; let's really show the love for what they do!!!

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Don't forget the ice cream!

Here's my reading schedule for SuperGhost. Feel free to join me and stay on track at the same time! Obviously, you can read at your own pace, just label spoilers (or better yet, avoid them altogether until we've finished reading). I find having a set schedule keeps me on, uh...schedule. ;-)

SuperGhost:
Sunday Feb 8th- Wed Feb 11th: beginning through page 52
Wed. Feb 11th through Sat Feb 14th: page 52 through end

~Teresa~

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments I just read half of Super Ghost already. It's so much fun! Can't put it down!

Rodney | 81 comments I have my copy and I will be starting in the next day or so. The Pax Titanus thread was a lot of fun, I hope that this thread is just as active. It really makes a difference when so many are involved!

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments I started reading SuperGhost last night. I was half asleep, so I may decide to reread, but the first four chapters went fast, and I'm hooked. I was really enjoying it. I already feel for Darren, and I sometimes have to wonder at my own density. How could I not have connected a super ghost made out of limbs to... phantom limb syndrome?

One of these days I am going to stop taking words for granted, lol.

Great first 4 chapters, I'm going to have to pace myself if I don't' want to read the whole book today.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments Glad to hear a few of you have already started SuperGhost - and even better, have been enjoying it! Can't wait to hear what you all think as the story progresses.

By the way, if any of you are interested, I'll be the guest on author Kevin Strange's vidcast STRANGE THE WORLD tonight. It'll be a 2-hour live streaming video interview. Tune in! The magic starts at 8pm EST, 7pm CST, etc. http://www.kevinthestrange.com/

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Omg, I almost forgot about that Scott!!! I will be there!

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments Excellent!

Rodney | 81 comments I will be definitely be checking out the vidcast. Thanks for posting!

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Scott, I learned so much about you tonight. You are a really chill, laid back kinda guy and I really loved your interview. I think it's fantastic that you managed to do it THIS WEEK.

I can't wait to get back into SuperGhost, maybe tonight before I hit the bed, if not then definitely tomorrow. Much like with Pax, I was really surprised at how quickly it grabbed me.

I'm sure I'll have more squishy praise for you before the next 24 hours is out.

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments Thanks for tuning in, Katherine - and keep that squishy praise coming! Haha :)

Nicholaus Patnaude | 105 comments Spoilers

Just read the first few paragraphs of the prologue. I am already intrigued by the opening. Someone, or something, is being asked to "bite down on this". I presume this same creature or person is what the scientist is happy to add to his collection. I was immeadiately reminded of the killer b-movie Hideous! for some reason.

Just finished chapter 4

Obviously, I was misled in my previous comment. I am curious about what this Phantom Zapper can do. I loved the Dr.'s other name for the machine: Ghostacular Ghost Grabber. Will this machine restore limbs? Or provide ghostly equivalents? Or will it merely remove the feeling of the phantom limbs? In the intro, Spike Marlowe says this novella reminds him of Ghostbusters; this leads me to theorize that perhaps there are many siwrling ghosts present where the limbs used to be, tormenting and torturing the poor victims of limb loss.

I'm in chapter 6 and just had to comment on the fact that the good doctor talks about a handcart to transport elephant parts while building an Elephant Train. He then talks about a Neverending Mango invention to "rid the world of famine." I like where this is going with these odd inventions, yet I remain curious about what the Phantom Zapper is capable of.

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments The inventions are so awesome lol! I love the characters different personalities as well, especially Michelle's.

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments The inventions are so awesome lol! I love the characters different personalities as well, especially Michelle's.

Donald Armfield | 157 comments Mod
Plan on turning a few pages of this tomorrow. Should I Beware??

Rodney | 81 comments I am just starting ch. 3. I cannot help but feel like I am right there with Darren. The descriptions of what he and the others with similar issues go through are quite vivid and well done.

Rodney | 81 comments Oops, I meant Ch.4

Rodney | 81 comments The doctor's plan is crazy! Kudos to Scott for coming up with the ideas in this book.

Just finished ch. 7

The description of the phantom legs was delightfully strange. I could picture the Olympian's ghost legs jostling around in that glass case with ease, though I wish he did stick to the term "ghost glue." I wonder what the side-effects will be when (if) they are stuck to one of the patients. This scene reminded me of the flick Frankenhooker. Has anyone ever seen that film? I'm feeling the vibe of that film more than Ghostbusters (as mentioned in the intro) at this point.

message 23: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments Loving all the comments so far, everyone! It's so much fun to see your reactions in increments, as the book is being read. Keep 'em coming!

message 24: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments Oh, and if you didn't manage to catch the Strange The World vidcast from the other night, it's now available on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I95s9...

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments I finished it already, I couldn't put it down! What a genius idea for a story. I have to watch the vidcast still, hope it has some background in the influence for this one. And, I have to say I adore Sexy the sextopus.

Sorry to keep everybody waiting, but a newspaper box.....

just kidding. I had to finish Suipsalms by John Edward Lawson. If you like poetry then you should get a copy of that book.

My mom had a three-legged cat that we named Peg-leg (well my mom called her Peggy.) but she had a phantom limb and sometimes it would reach for something....it was funny to watch.

ok....back to Superghost

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments Excuse me, Sexy the sexOpus.

Once again, I'd read this one early! Trying to keep the spoilers away! But I'm LOVING how active this group is!!!! <3

Rodney | 81 comments The vidcast was good. Lots of info about Scott and great pointers for aspiring writers.

Just finished chapter 14

I am intrigued by this Sexy the Sexopus. Who is she? But, more importanly, WHAT is she? Is she some sort of weird mutant sex doll the insane Rains ceated (whose name, btw, may be a ref. to Claude Rains who starred in the original Invisible Man film?). I also must've missed that he had four limbs, but find that to cool Troma-esque detail. The scene with Rains drugging Darren was creepy. I still wonder what it is exactly that Rains is doing to these poor limbless folk. The pain goes away, sure, but how contingent is this cure on the insane limbs hopping around in Rains' lab?

Just finished chapter 18

The scene with the monstrosities with Darren and Michelle sneaking into Rains' lab was a memorable one. I particularly dug the legs walking around with the limb on top, likened to Stonehenge. Rains has also increasingly become a more nefarious villain, such as when he blew yellow powder at the guy at the convention. Still, they did not encounter Sexy the Sexopus yet...unless she was the octopus monstrosity; however, I did not find that description particularly sexy so I'm holding out, wishing for a vision of this Sexy the Sexopus. The starfish creature floating around in Rains' lab was fairly hallucinogenic. Also, the reveal that Rains was actually STEALING phantom limbs was an unexpected twist; I had guessed earlier that the limbs Rains had were actually stealing away the phantom limb sensation.

Kevin Strange (kevinstrange) | 24 comments Nicholaus wrote: "Spoilers

Just finished chapter 18

The scene with the monstrosities with Darren and Michelle sneaking into Rains' lab was a memorable one. I particularly dug the legs walking around with the limb ..."

I love that Rains keeps melting people. I'm a big melty goo movie fan. Street Trash, The Stuff, The Blob. Love it!

Nicholaus Patnaude | 105 comments Kevin wrote: "Nicholaus wrote: "Spoilers

Just finished chapter 18

The scene with the monstrosities with Darren and Michelle sneaking into Rains' lab was a memorable one. I particularly dug the legs walking aro..."

I adore all those films, Kevin. I'm also getting a Hideous! vibe. Have you seen it? B-movie gold: evil playboy mutant collector's, a random hot blonde assistant who prefers being topless, bad mutant effects, endless casualties, and all while failing to be ironic (though obviously trying) and so no rising above the b movie murk but gloriously drowning its slime poison

message 34: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments Sounds like I need to see Hideous!

Chapter 22.

The monster has been released.....

Frankenstein-ish Fantastic. Mad scientist romp of laughter. Really enjoying this.

Just finished chapter 21

Okay, now I see the Ghostbusters comparisons, bur only now. It's bit misleading and unfair to compare the book too closely to the film since it only bears the faintest resemblance and it could just as easily be compared to Godzilla. The imagery of the Superghost was vivid and original. The mad doctor Rains became comically evil with his own severed limb animating the Superghost.

Nicholaus Patnaude | 105 comments Scott wrote: "Sounds like I need to see Hideous!"

Yes, Scott. Not that it contains elements of your book but shares the same outrageous b-movie vibe, although I would say your characters are more well-drawn.

Just finished Superghost. The final action scene was enjoyable, vivid, and humorous (i.e. the do not freeze gag). The imagery of the green phantom legs restored was also haunting, albeit the tone became quite lighthearted by the tale's end. 

*Spoiler end of Chapter 21

"A single gunshot pierced the scene. Dr. Rains stood perfectly still for a moment at the top of the concrete pile, trapped forever in mid-sentence.by a hole in his forehead and red dribble that came from it. Then he dropped dead in a heap."

I finished the other day. check out my review. This book was a go down in history read. Great book.

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments To my great chagrin-- I haven't gotten any reading done this week! Tonight, I'm going to read everything form the end of chapter 4 on! I'll get back to you when I'm all caught up!

message 42: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments Nicholaus wrote: "Scott wrote: "Sounds like I need to see Hideous!"

Yes, Scott. Not that it contains elements of your book but shares the same outrageous b-movie vibe, although I would say your characters are more ..."

Thanks, Nicholaus. Oh, and I just tracked down a copy of Hideous!, so I'll be checking that out soon.

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments Donald wrote: "I finished the other day. check out my review. This book was a go down in history read. Great book."

Glad you enjoyed it, Donald - and thanks so much for the review!

message 44: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pop in and scream THANK YOU to each and every one of you who gave SuperGhost a chance. It means the world to me that you dropped some of your hard-earned dollars on a relatively unknown thing.

To piggyback on what Tom said last week in the Pax thread, I've got some giveaways for those of you who took part in the discussion here. So either get in touch with me to claim your prize, or I'll drop you a line soon to make arrangements.

In the meantime, if you enjoyed SuperGhost, by all means feel free to friend me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter (or both!) to keep up with my shenanigans.

And, of course, I'd be extra-thrilled if you took a moment to review SuperGhost on Amazon, here on Goodreads, on your blog, Facebook page, or any combination of these. The Amazon page, I think, is particularly key, since positive reviews could potentially persuade a random browser to give the book a shot. Just like the other NBAS authors, I'm new to the world of publishing, and trying to spread word about the book, build a readership, and so on.

Anyway, thanks again, everyone - This was a lot of fun! Hopefully now you're all reading Deep Blue.

Scott

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments I finished! I finished! I am sorry I ran so far behind, a review will be up today. I really enjoyed the book, it was a lot of fun.

I mean, it was good enough that it invaded my dreams for an entire night. And I'll fully admit tht when Dr. Rains' card was mentioned, I flipped back to the cover to stare at the illustration for a few minutes.

I had a lot of fun, and wish I could have participated in a more real time manner with the discussion, but I didn't want to spoil the book when I finally got the chance to sit down and devour it.

I read about your dream on Facebook! ;-)

message 47: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments I LOVE the fact that you had a SuperGhost dream, Katherine. I didn't even have SuperGhost dreams when I was writing it...

Just saw your incredible review too - thanks so much!

message 48: by Scott (new)

Scott Cole | 12 comments I LOVE the fact that you had a SuperGhost dream, Katherine. I didn't even have SuperGhost dreams when I was writing it...

Just saw your incredible review too - thanks so much!

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments The vividness of my dreams is sometimes startling, lol, i really need to learn not to read right before bed.

I am glad you liked the review, I only told the truth.