Bizarro Fiction discussion

Pax Titanus
This topic is about Pax Titanus
FEBRUARY NBAS MONTH > Tom Lucas' PAX TITANUS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 140 (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 299 comments Mod
Here's the thread for Pax Titanus...let's make this book our bitch and show the 2014 NBAS class how much love we have for them!!!

message 2: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Don't forget to bring an extra pair of pants!

Victor O. | 8 comments Reading this now and loving it! The gladiatorial action is just starting to get serious. I totally dug the old school D&D nod in Titanus' first match up!

Rick (rwestbrock) | 143 comments Looking forward to starting this one on Sunday!

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Here's my 'reading schedule' for Pax Titanus ( even though I've already read it, and I'll probably read it again in one sitting, I still NEED a damn schedule to stay on track). Anyone participating who happens to be an OCD procrastinator like me can join in with the schedule. Here it is:
Pax Titanus:
Sunday Feb 1st-Wed. Feb 4th: beginning through page 59
Wed. Feb 4th- Sat Feb 7th: page 59 through the end

And please remember...NO SPOILERS!!!! Label anything specific so those that haven't gotten as far don't get the book, well, spoiled for them! ;-)

~Teresa~

Rick (rwestbrock) | 143 comments Sweet! Don't forget the spoiler tag people! I olan on blasting through this one, too.

message 7: by Teresa (new)

I think you'll really enjoy it, Rick. I could be wrong, but I think I know your tastes enough to chance a guess. It's a blast!

Matthew Vaughn (mcvaughn138) | 41 comments I'm looking forward to cracking this bad boy open!

message 9: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments It's gonna be a party!

message 10: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Victor wrote: "Reading this now and loving it! The gladiatorial action is just starting to get serious. I totally dug the old school D&D nod in Titanus' first match up!"

:) :) :)

message 11: by Teresa (new)

Matthew, I believe yohr copy should be there by Saturday at the latest. The estimate is for tomorrow, but you know how the USPS is ...

Matthew Vaughn (mcvaughn138) | 41 comments Sounds awesome Teresa! Thanks again, your the best!

Matthew Vaughn (mcvaughn138) | 41 comments Wow, I think my tablet auto-corrected you're to your, that was lame.

Victor O. | 8 comments I'm new to these reading parties. What sort of comments are we supposed to put, if we're not to include spoilers...?

message 15: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Good question. Teresa, how do you typically manage the read-alongs?

message 16: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick (rwestbrock) | 143 comments I will throw in my two cents: you can post about the writing style, maybe something about the setting in general without giving away the plot. I am relatively new to this particular group but it I would guess that it works pretty much the same way in most groups.

I would suggest reading a couple of existing threads to get a feel for how to post early without using spoilers.

message 17: by Teresa (new)

Rick is right on...we usually discuss general plot points, characters we like, etc. And if yoy want to talk about something very specific that's vital to the plot, or, say, a certain scene in the book, you can either hide it using the HTML spoiler code (which I personally never do), or just put up a warning.

For example, let's say I'm on page 50 and you're only on page 20 and I write a post all about what's happened in the first 50 pages...that kinda ruins it for you, because then you'll know what's coming up. So, in the example, I would do something like this:

****WARNING: this post contains elements of the story up to page 50...don't read any further if you want to avoid spoilers!****

Then I'd type my comment! I usually hit the return button a few times to kinda 'seperate' it from whatever other, more general stuff I'm talking about. Then, once I finish posting my spoiler-ish comment, I'll put something like this:
***SPOILER OVER***
That way, people can skip over the spoilery part quite easily and then read it later, once they've caught up.

THEN, once the first week or so is up and we're ready to move from Pax to SuperGhost, we can have a free for all, discussing the book in its entirety, spoilers and all. Of course, you don't HAVE to post anything. But usually something, someone, or someplace in the book will impact you enough to mention it to the rest of the group. Some readers choose to avoid the group read threads altogether until they are completely done with the book just so they don't get spoilers (the spoiler thing is obviously much more obnoxious when you have major surprises and twist endings...there's nothing worse than someone being all like 'I can't believe our protagonist dies on the last page!' ARG! That drives me nuts!).

So post as much or little as you like, in whatever time frame you feel comfortable with. This is a laid back group (despite what my OCD might make you think), so just go with the flow and post whatever feels right. It's great having you join us! I hope you join us for more reads in the future! The more you do, the easier and more comfortable it becomes! ;-) If you've got any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! And have fun with Pax!!!

~Teresa~

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Oh, and don't sweat it Matthew! It's a trade remember? So we'll be even steven! I'm just glad we could get one more person wrangled up! <3
.~Teresa~

message 19: by Teresa (last edited Jan 28, 2015 04:51AM) (new)

Victor wrote: "I'm new to these reading parties. What sort of comments are we supposed to put, if we're not to include spoilers...?"

And just for a teeny, obsessive bit more information, Victor...your initial comment is the perfect example of what we want. You mentioned a cool part that you enjoyed, but you didn't mention whether Pax won or lost his first fight, you didn't elaborate on all the other fighters and you didn't explain in great detail why Pax is fighting in a gladiator arena in the first place. So, you opened dialogue about a scene you really enjoyed without giving too much away (actually, you gave nothing away). You're a pro at avoiding spoilers, and you haven't even had any experience with them! You're a natural! A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself if your post would potentially give any vital pieces of info away, and if it so, re-write it or mark them.

You're doing great, and it's a pleasure having you! You're a bit ahead, but once everyone else starts, we'll have plenty of back and forth blabbing ;-)

~Teresa~

message 20: by Teresa (new)

Tom wrote: "Good question. Teresa, how do you typically manage the read-alongs?"

OMFG!!! I'm haven't slept in so fucking long I think I'm literally starting to lose it. But I was wondering if perchance you'd wanna post a link for us to sign-up for your newsletter/blog thingy, in which you get the free story? I have a feeling most people are gonna rip through this story because of the non-stop action, so maybe we can discuss that story as well?

And Tom also has another book out, Leather to the Corinthians. If a few people love Pax Titanus enough to read more of Tom's work, we could do a buddy read for Leather. I know I plan on reading it this year!

Thanks, Tom! <3

~Teresa~

message 21: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments First off -- get some sleep :)
You've earned it.

For those that would like to sign up for my mailing list (I send out something about once a month, fear no spam) follow this link: http://eepurl.com/3LQ4b

You'll get a free story and infrequent updates regarding things Tom Lucas.

And thanks for mentioning my first book, Leather to the Corinthians. I do hope that the bizarro crowd discovers this book in time because I think they'll love the world I have created within it. If a buddy read comes together, I'll be more than happy to do an AMA or participate in any way that best supports the group.

Rock and roll.

Tom

message 22: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick (rwestbrock) | 143 comments I'm a little punchy at work today myself. I should have mentioned that if you use the spoiler tags then someone reading in the GR app (iOS or Android) will just see "spoiler removed" and can't click to read it at all. I think that's a shortcoming of the apps but at least you don't have to worry about getting spoiled that way.

message 23: by Teresa (new)

That's why I never use the HTML code, either. I use Goodreads almost exclusively on my phone and I hate it when I'm all caught up and can't see the spoiler because there's nowhere to click. I love Goodreads, but they could certainly make the app more user friendly...

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments Just read the first 3 chapters, loving it so far! Anyone else start Pax Titanus?

message 25: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Yeah! The KLAXONBOT calls! GAME ON!

Rodney | 81 comments I picked up my copy today, and will be starting tomorrow.

message 27: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Glad you are here Rodney!

Matthew Vaughn (mcvaughn138) | 41 comments I finally got a moment to read a bit today. I read the first 13 pages, I'm digging it. I like Tom's writing, wish I had more time tonight.

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments I am going to start re-reading, with a highlighter, tomorrow. Also, I should be getting LthC in the next month or two in e-book. I'd prefer to get the hard copy, but one step at a time and I really want to read it!

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Okay, I decided to read a page or two while I was eating my son's birthday cake in bed- I know there is something wrong with that statement but that's not why I am here.

I got out of my nice, comfy, warm bed just to ask.... doe anyone else imagine Craxx as Violator from Spawn? Please, please tell me I am not the only one that sees this. Especially when he rubs his "big, blue belly".

I am going back to bed now, probably to dream of the Violator and infant clowns on stilts....

*Shudders* The renfest isn't all fun folks!

message 31: by Teresa (new)

I, too, planned on starting to re-read today. But that didn't happen...a bunch of other stuff did happen, though, and that's why I had no reading time (yet...I'm getting ready to curl up with the book now). I read this book pretty closely the first time, but I didn't catch the Spawn thing...maybe 'cause I've only seen that movie once, and that was about a year after it came out, so it's been a LONG time!

I'm sooooo exvited and happy to see this kind of discussion on the very first day of our NBAS month! You guys all kick ass, and so do you, Tom! <3

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Teresa, I saw the movie the first time my senior year in high school (so..... 12 years ago), and have only seen it once since, but it was the first I had ever seen like it and it really stuck with me.

And I hate clowns with a passion. A fearful passion. That might have made it stick too.

Can't wait to read more today.

Victor O. | 8 comments It is an effort to pace myself on this book. VERY easy to move from one chapter to the next, and then to find you've stayed up too late. Titanus is a fabulous character, a thoughtful brute. Although the book is clearly written for the FUN factor, it will be interesting to look back and sort out Titanus' ethical worldview at the end of it all! Hope you all are enjoying it as much as I am.

Matthew Vaughn (mcvaughn138) | 41 comments I agree, I could easily sit and read this book from beginning to end. I've managed a few more pages on my breaks at work today. So far I've read the first three chapters. It seems to be getting ready to get to the good stuff!

Rodney | 81 comments I just finished chapter three and I really like it so far. There's a nice mix of many elements. I will also be pacing myself.

message 36: by Teresa (new)

You guys don't have to pace yourselves! I STILL haven't started re-reading! I told ya, I'm a procrastinator and I'll end up reading it all on the very last day. I'm kinda trying to stay away from the thread til I've finished, cause I don't wanna accidentally drop spoilers. Its been a minute since I read it, and I don't wanna get my characters and scenes mixed up. This time, I WILL write a review, though!

message 37: by Donald (last edited Feb 02, 2015 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Donald Armfield | 157 comments Mod
Thinking BIG

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments I'm up to chapter 11. Enjoying all the many different creatures and their eccentricities. Think I might have a crush on big 'ol Titanus. He definitely reminds me of someone I know.

Victor O. | 8 comments Agreed, Stephanie. Funny how a creature with his physical description comes across as sexy! Same goes for his wife!

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments Ok, so I finished the book last night. I couldn't stop!!! Such a fucking amazing story, I loved it on so many levels.

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Victor- The great thing about Pax is that it is written int eh spirit of fun, but the heart of the story holds value and depth. While Tits himself is fairly straightforward, and honestly so are a lot of the characters around him (to the readers, they can be elusive to other characters) the book itself is multi-layered.

The fun is that you get the first real blast of entertainment strictly from a surface read, but if you are looking for more, there's a lot of meat to chew on beneath that sugary coating. It's like the Tootsie Pop of books. How many licks you care to give it is how much closer you're going to get to that chewy center. Or that gooey center, depending on how you want to look at it.

Theresa- I haven't gotten more than two pages in again yet, things have just been nuts, so I'll be probably breezing through late int he week.

Stephanie- I definitely have a crush on Titanus. He's just my kinda man <3. I've also got a kind of perverse girl crush on Tiffany.

message 42: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Stephanie wrote: "Ok, so I finished the book last night. I couldn't stop!!! Such a fucking amazing story, I loved it on so many levels."

Thank you!

Rodney | 81 comments I am about to start Ch. 8 and I am fascinated with Heidiiee and the way she communicates with Pax. To be a male on the receiving end of those emotions would be awesome in a relationship.

Matthew Vaughn (mcvaughn138) | 41 comments I just started chapter 8, this book flows very nicely. I like the humor, well placed

message 45: by Nicholaus (new) - added it

Nicholaus Patnaude | 105 comments Spoilers

I'm about 7% in.

The opening had a great hook (eventually, the two best friends would put their hands on each other's cocks, ha, ha). Their conversations are refreshingly crass for a sci fi novel. Most sci fi I've read lacks the sense of humor of this one (except for PKD, who is the best IMO). Craxx's sensual obsession with his sister is also funny and irreverent.

message 46: by Nicholaus (new) - added it

Just finished chapter 1.

That was a memorable scene: Pax enlarging himself while saving Craxx with his monstrous member as they landed on the planet's wailing diva and splattered the crowd with his love juices. Crude yet imaginative as the best of bizarro always seems to manage.

I read in the intro that this book was originally a short story. I wonder what it looked like in that form and if it was ever published anywhere.

Donald Armfield | 157 comments Mod
I'll be reading this starting tomorrow.

message 48: by Nicholaus (new) - added it

Just finished chapter 3.

A vivid and mysterious call to adventure and a well-argued refusal of the call; however, the adventure must be undertaken if it means saving Pax's family. The descruction of the journalists was funny and unpredictable and I found Pax's relations with his squid wife and her secretions a bit eerie as she mustive smelled his musk through her beak. Can he just not say her name or can they also not speak?

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments Nicholaus, I do not believe Tom has published the short story anywhere because it was selected to become the novel. Also, I believe that the issue is that Heideii's full name is literally unpronounceable due to the sounds that form it.

I'm picking the book back up tonight in my free time. So excited.

message 50: by Tom (last edited Feb 03, 2015 05:43PM) (new) - added it

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Hi Nicholaus,

Glad you're digging in. The short story this novel was based on was written in a bizarro writing workshop that Rose O'Keefe hosted on LitReactor last April. It was one of three stories I wrote that month. For the most part, it was a version of the final fight in the book.

Katherine, you are correct. Her name is a secretion and cannot be properly pronounced. In order to get around that, and to give the characters a more personal way to reference her, I named her...for Heidi Klum.

« previous 1 3