Bizarro Fiction discussion

FEBRUARY NBAS MONTH > Brian Auspice's DEEP BLUE

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 299 comments Mod
Here's where we'll discuss DEEP BLUE. Let's welcome Brian with open arms! It doesn't matter which order we read these books, but I'd suggest one a week, that way we have a week at the end for questions!

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Don't forget your jacket!

message 3: by Teresa (last edited Jan 27, 2015 02:37AM) (new)

And, last but not the least, here's my schedule for Deep Blue. Once again, no spoilers, please. And once again, feel free to read the book however you want. This one's the shortest, so even though I went full anal (hee-hee) and made this schedule, I'll probably end up reading it all in one sitting. But whatevs. The schedule will keep me from procrastinating and starting late. So yeah. Yada, yada, yada...repeat the same thing in three threads, blah blah blah, I'll quit boring you now!

Deep Blue:
Sunday Feb 15th through Wed Feb 18th: beginning through page 40
Wed Feb 18th through Sat. Feb 21st: page 40 through end

~Teresa~

message 4: by Donald (new)

Donald Armfield | 157 comments Mod
"That reminds me, my step-mother is having surgery. On Tuesday to remove her Siamese Starfish."

message 5: by Donald (new)

Train ride anyone?

message 6: by Donald (new)

here is my review...I will wait for what other people think before I rant anymore this awesome trippy book.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Donald wrote: "here is my review...I will wait for what other people think before I rant anymore this awesome trippy book.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

You caught the memo that the book reading order got switched, right? I mean, it doesn't matter one little iota which order you read them in, but this week, most everyone else is reading Pax Titanus. If ya did get confused, at least you're one book ahead of everyone else! ;-)

message 8: by Donald (new)

lol I guess I am...I'll jump in.

message 9: by Rodney (new)

Rodney | 81 comments I am starting Deep Blue today.

message 10: by Teresa (new)

I'll be with ya Rodney. This is the only one I have left to read. See ya on this thread later, then! :-)

message 11: by Rodney (new)

Rodney | 81 comments I just finished and, wow what an odd little story. I couldn't help but love it.

message 12: by Nicholaus (new)

Nicholaus Patnaude | 105 comments I'll be rereading Deep Blue this week. I read it a few months ago and absolutely loved its macabre vibe. It's one of my favorite bizarro pieces. Haunting. Fragmented. Darkly surreal. It follows a twisted dream logic. You travel through it and are deposited out its other side (the end) wondering where you travelled to in its weird little world.

message 13: by Donald (new)

This is my overall favorite of the three.

message 14: by Nicholaus (new)

Nicholaus Patnaude | 105 comments Spoilers

Just finished chapter 1 of my reread.

Love the eerie vibe this on establishes from the get go: gloomy apartment, talking demon in the fridge, surreal visual of the tiny business man plucked by tweezers, and time being circumvented as if cursed (Tuesday is now Thursday). Hopefully, Mr. Auspice will be joining this thread as I'm curious about some of his influences.

message 15: by KATHERINE (new)

KATHERINE PARKER (katjparker) | 37 comments I read through chapter 3 last night. I really enjoy the way the book was written, and some of teh elements I am reading into it. It is a colorful book, and vivid in its imagery.

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian Auspice | 3 comments I greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to read my book. I hope it was an enjoyable experience. If anyone has any questions they'd like to ask about the work, please feel free to ask.

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom Lucas (readtomlucas) | 85 comments Thanks for writing a fantastic book, Brian!

message 18: by Nicholaus (new)

Nicholaus Patnaude | 105 comments Brian wrote: "I greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to read my book. I hope it was an enjoyable experience. If anyone has any questions they'd like to ask about the work, please feel free to ask."

Brian, I'm curious about some of your influences--either long-term or specifically during the process of writing this book. Music, film, literature. Also: did you outline Deep Blue? How many drafts did it go through? Where did the ideas come from?

message 19: by Brian (new)

Brian Auspice | 3 comments Tom wrote: "Thanks for writing a fantastic book, Brian!"

Thank you very much, Mr. Lucas. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian Auspice | 3 comments Nicholaus wrote: "Brian, I'm curious about some of your influences--either long-term or specifically during the process of writing this book. Music, film, literature. Also: did you outline Deep Blue? How many drafts did it go through? Where did the ideas come from?"

The book that changed the trajectory of my writing from horror/sci-fi/fantasy to Bizarro/irreal/surreal/absurd was "They Had Goat Heads" by D. Harlan Wilson. I must've read Wilson's book a dozen times over the course of six months prior to starting work on "Deep Blue." So, I would have to cite him as my sole influence, at least in regards to literature, while I wrote "Deep Blue." I had watched "Eraserhead" for the first time, which I think also influenced "Deep Blue" somewhat. My music selection at the time didn't really change. REM and Empire of the Sun come to mind. I also happened upon a song entitled "Deep Blue" by Arcade Fire that I listened to a few times.

"Deep Blue" was written over the course of two months during the summer of 2012. There was no outline. The first and only draft was composed mostly on my cellphone. (Although, I did do a once or twice over for grammar, spelling mistakes, etc.) My editor also ran the manuscript through a few edits, but nothing that changed the scenes, plot/subplots, characters, etc.