Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SIA Rules & Announcements > Introductions - Retired

Comments Showing 1-50 of 3,078 (3078 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 61 62

message 1: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
I see you guys don't really have a place for new people to introduce themselves. Well, I'd like to set that up, and be the first person on it then.
Name's Joseph Long, but I write under the pen name Riley Amos Westbrook. I'm an ex-cna too hurt to do his job who's turned to writing to pass the time. I look forward to getting to know you all, and hope you all look forward to getting to know me.

message 2: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Ann Andrews (annliviandrews) | 687 comments Mod
Welcome Joseph! It's nice to meet you!

Joseph wrote: "I see you guys don't really have a place for new people to introduce themselves. Well, I'd like to set that up, and be the first person on it then.
Name's Joseph Long, but I write under the pen nam..."

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 161 comments Hi, Joseph and Ann (and anyone else who reads this feed). I'm Victoria, or Vicki, either will do. I'm an accounting clerk, looking to retire at the end of the year. I just released my fifth novel, and have released 2 audio books. I'm looking forward to being able to commit more time to writing in 2016.

message 4: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Nice to meet you Vicki, here's hoping you get more time to write in 2016!

message 5: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Hello Vicki! Welcome!

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 161 comments Thanks Riley and Ann

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wren-Wilson | 2 comments Hi I'm Jessica Wren. I released my first paranormal crime thriller, Ice, last September. I also run a book club where my co-sponsor and I feature two books a month. Let me know if you are interested in joining. And thank you, Ann, for starting this group. Anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

message 8: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Welcome, welcome.

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 30 comments I'm Phillip T. Stephens, with three eBooks out including Cigerets, Guns & Beer which finally got reviewed on Amazon. I wouldn't mention it, except that the reviewer connected with the book in exactly the way I wanted readers to connect. So I feel like I did my job, and if I connect with more readers in the same way, I don't really care if I make money.

I'm a member of Jessica's book club and it's lots of fun. You should join.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Prough (deprough) | 4 comments I'm Dawn Prough. I have one book published under that name and should have more published this year. My published book is City of Promise. While that was with a small press, the rest of my books will be indie. I'm here to learn and network with others.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm Sandrine.
I write mostly thriller and horror. I've published a collection of horror short stories called Not to Be Read at Night.
I'll be publishing a thriller novella called Red-Hot Ruby in March.
I also write articles and flash fiction for my website and for a student magazine at the university where I study.

message 12: by J. (new)

J. Kay | 3 comments Hey guys,

I'm John, a stay-at-home dad with my two boys. I write medieval fantasy and have two books set for release this spring with a small press. I'm currently working on the third book of the series. It's called The King's Elite. Looking forward to being a part of the group.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wren-Wilson | 2 comments I'm with Phillip (to whom i am very appreciative of the shout-out BTW). I love the whole process: putting my words on paper, editing, creating my characters, etc. The feeling of waiting for my cover to come in feels like Christmas. Most importantly, I have met many, many wonderful people since publishing, and the friendships I have made are more important than money (I never expected to make a living off of writing anyways, so any money I make is just icing on the cake).

message 14: by Max (new)

Max Carlson | 6 comments Hi, I'm Max, a retired Lawyer and Judge. I've published three books (self-published) and I'm here to learn from all of you. My latest is a mystery novel titled The Bible Guy. The Bible Guy It was just published so I'm taking a break before starting on my next. Looking forward to being part of the group.

message 15: by Karin (new)

Karin Boutall (goodreadscomkarinb) | 24 comments Hello. I'm Karin and I love to write contemporary fiction with a hint of mystery and a whisper of romance. I have self-published two books in a series and am currently working on the third. I recently completed the audio version of Community Gardens and hope to have it released next month. I look forward to being a member of this group.

message 16: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments Hello. My name is Tasha Mann (my pen name). I'm looking into Indie Publishing. I would love to hear your experiences in being an Indie Author.

I write in many genres. I have one self-published book (part mystery/part family saga). I have another novel finished (another mystery/dysfunctional family/sci-fi story) and I'm shopping that around, hoping to find an agent or publisher. I also have a novella close to done (literary fiction).

I have just started a blog. I'm interested in looking into blog tours. Also, I'd like to see other blogs, perhaps it might spark an idea for me.

More than anything, I want to meet readers and authors. I am interested in many of your books listed here. I will have to stroll through

message 17: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Being an indie author is A LOT of work to get started, but it's awesome to meet new people constantly as you try to promote yourself. Hell, I've only been at it six months, and have made some awesome connections already. But don't wait to start your self promotion, you need to start it months in advance!

message 18: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments Hello there, Riley. I've been researching self-promotion. I'm in the author program here and have a brand-spanking, new blog. Is there anything else you would recommend?

message 19: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments Nice to meet you, Susie.

message 20: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Copromote.com, get on Twitter, try to find as many book bloggers as you can and either have interviews or a review done. Don't pay for reviews, there are a ton of people willing to fit you in for free if you can find them. Biggest point, your selling yourself as well as your books so remember that.

message 21: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments I'm slightly terrified of Twitter. I can't be pithy and funny! I'm goggling Copromote. . .

message 22: by Karin (last edited Jan 31, 2015 12:18PM) (new)

Karin Boutall (goodreadscomkarinb) | 24 comments Tasha wrote: "Hello. My name is Tasha Mann (my pen name). I'm looking into Indie Publishing. I would love to hear your experiences in being an Indie Author.

I write in many genres. I have one self-published boo..."

Congrats on your writing. Its a bit of a core to get started, unless your a whiz with social media; blogging, twitter and facebook. Nevertheless, I love the freedom of being an indie author because, I get to chose who I market too! The smiles I put on my first several readers made it all worth doing.
Good luck to you and if you don't mind, I will send you a friend request. Can't wait to read your books.

message 23: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments Susie wrote: "That is really good advice Riley. I'm only just learning how much will power and perseverance this requires."

I agree. This is good information, indeed.

message 24: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments Karin wrote: "Tasha wrote: "Hello. My name is Tasha Mann (my pen name). I'm looking into Indie Publishing. I would love to hear your experiences in being an Indie Author.

I write in many genres. I have one self..."

It's nice to meet you Karin. I shall look into your book!

message 25: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Hey Everyone, Virginia here. I just released my debut novel Blade's Edge by Virginia McClain last week, and I have one collection of short stories Rain on a Summer's Afternoon: A Collection of Short Stories that is available for free here on goodreads from now until the 4th of February.

I write fantasy, science fiction, action/adventure, and anything featuring a strong female lead kicking some butt. :-) I spend most of my time writing novels these days, but I do enjoy writing short stories as well, and I'm currently the featured author over on short story connect if anyone is interested in checking out the discussion thread over there and asking some questions.

Also, I have a blog that I've been running for a while if people who are new to blogging would like to check that out: virginiamcclain.com

Nice to meet you all! I've already found this group to be a great place to find support, swap reviews and generally engage with lovely people.

message 26: by Max (new)

Max Carlson | 6 comments What exactly is copromote.com?

message 27: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Sure, Susie, I'd be delighted. :-) Nice to meet you as well.

message 28: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (last edited Jan 31, 2015 12:29PM) (new)

Copromote.com, you agree to share across your twitter/tumblr/facebook other peoples ads in return to have yours shared across others social media platforms. My last campaign reached over 250k new people for free, but they offer to help promote you if you pay. It only covers posts you put up on twitter/facebook/tumblr, but every little bit helps when you're disabled and unable to work, and therefore poor, like I am.

message 29: by Karin (last edited Jan 31, 2015 12:30PM) (new)

Karin Boutall (goodreadscomkarinb) | 24 comments Congrats on the debut novel Blade's Edge. I am currently reading Rain on a Summer's Afternoon and look forward to reviewing your blog virginiamcclain.com Thanks for sharing.

message 30: by Max (new)

Max Carlson | 6 comments Thanks Riley.

message 31: by Karin (new)

Karin Boutall (goodreadscomkarinb) | 24 comments Tasha wrote: "Susie wrote: "That is really good advice Riley. I'm only just learning how much will power and perseverance this requires."

I agree. This is good information, indeed."

Tip: if you get frustrated; google - how do authors use Twitter or..... There is a ton of advice on line. Or even ask someone on this site.

message 32: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Karin wrote: "Congrats on the debut novel Blade's Edge. I am currently reading Rain on a Summer's Afternoon and look forward to reviewing your blog virginiamcclain.com Thanks for sharing."

Thanks, Karin! Your suspense book sounds interesting! I will add it to my to read list. (Have a large stack going at the moment so it may be a while before I get to it, but it'll be there.) Thanks for the support!

message 33: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Wow! This group is busy today! Welcome everyone! We're glad to have you!

If you are new to the group, and you haven't already, check out the "Submit your Book to Ann" discussion to see how to get your book featured on my blog.

And if you want to hear a little bit about why I started this group, check out my blog: http://www.annliviandrews.com/ramblin...-

message 34: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments Riley wrote: "Copromote.com, you agree to share across your twitter/tumblr/facebook other peoples ads in return to have yours shared across others social media platforms. My last campaign reached over 250k new p..."

Riley, when I've worked up the courage and get a Twitter account, I will hit you up to be a follower.

message 35: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

No problem@donttouchmyshi1 I follow everyone back.

message 36: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Tasha wrote: "I'm slightly terrified of Twitter. I can't be pithy and funny! I'm goggling Copromote. . ."

Also, for people who are looking to spread the word about their books, I highly recommend running a goodreads giveaway. I know it's a bit of upfront money, (it's free to run the giveaway, but you have to send print copies to the winners) but it can get hundreds of people to add your book to their shelves. Hopefully, even some of the people who don't win will wind up buying a copy after the giveaway is done, and in the meantime, the people who do win are expected to post an honest review when they finish the book.

(Sadly, this is only available for print books right now, but Goodreads is hinting that it will eventually add ebooks, which would be great because then the cost for running a giveaway would drop to absolutely zero.)

message 37: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments How do you go about running a giveaway? I'm sure there is a FAQ on it, I just thought I'd be social and ask you. :)

message 38: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

You buy copies of your book, people ask for said copies, you mail it to them. That's essentially what it is, which is why I need to sell books, so I can do it too >.>

message 39: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Tasha wrote: "How do you go about running a giveaway? I'm sure there is a FAQ on it, I just thought I'd be social and ask you. :)"

On your author page (author dashboard specifically) scroll down until you see the "Your Giveaways" section. Click on list a giveaway. Then add the details of your particular book. You can customize how long you'd like to run the giveaway, and how many copies you'd like to offer as well as which countries you'd like to include.

I have a giveaway listed now if you'd like to see an example: Blade's Edge Giveaway

I chose to run mine for one month and offer up three copies to people in Canada and the US. (I reduced it to those areas in order to keep shipping costs low, and shipping times reasonable.) Depending on how it goes I might run another one when it's over.

message 40: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments Riley wrote: "You buy copies of your book, people ask for said copies, you mail it to them. That's essentially what it is, which is why I need to sell books, so I can do it too >.>"

Thanks. :)

message 41: by Lewis N. (new)

Lewis N. Clark | 4 comments hi
I decided to publish a few young adult books (because my other books seem too racy for kids)--I published them under a pen name, Icy Rivers--one is "Sochi Wild Dogs," which is the most ambitious--I am proud of this book and very disappointed by lack of sales--I am kind of stressed out because I did an audio book, and now the company is also disappointed due to lack of sales--I think I am going to start selling apples on street corners

message 42: by Lewis N. (new)

Lewis N. Clark | 4 comments Max wrote: "Hi, I'm Max, a retired Lawyer and Judge. I've published three books (self-published) and I'm here to learn from all of you. My latest is a mystery novel titled The Bible Guy. [book:The Bible Guy|24..."

I will check out the book and let you know if I have any objections---just kidding--no, but I will check it out

message 43: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

And that's another advantage to being Indie, no one to disappoint except yourself!

message 44: by Max (new)

Max Carlson | 6 comments All objections are summarily overruled Lewis. Ha! Please do check it out.

message 45: by Karin (new)

Karin Boutall (goodreadscomkarinb) | 24 comments Lewis did u create your audio book through acx. Com?

message 46: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments Lewis N. wrote: "hi
I decided to publish a few young adult books (because my other books seem too racy for kids)--I published them under a pen name, Icy Rivers--one is "Sochi Wild Dogs," which is the most ambitious..."

What are the young adult books about?

message 47: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Barton (stacybarton) | 1 comments Hey all...my name is Stacy Barton and I've published with indy publishing houses since 2007 - a poetry collection with Finishing Line Press last June and then through WordFarm I have a short story collection from 2007 and a novella about to be released in April. In 2004 I published a children's picture book through a slightly more mainstream publisher.

Happy to offer thoughts on working as a writer in exchange for any ideas on how to actually use Goodreads to get the word out about my work! I got on here back in 2007 but then sort of dropped the ball.

message 48: by Max (new)

Max Carlson | 6 comments Good to hear from you.

message 49: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Welcome!

Stacy wrote: "Hey all...my name is Stacy Barton and I've published with indy publishing houses since 2007 - a poetry collection with Finishing Line Press last June and then through WordFarm I hav..."

message 50: by Karin (new)

Karin Boutall (goodreadscomkarinb) | 24 comments Hello Susie nice to meet you. I'm new to social media You mentioned that u figured out how to post without your author name. Can you advise how to do that if you get time? thanks

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 61 62
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.