CVHS Honors English discussion

Animal Farm Question 7

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_crowley) | 15 comments Mod
(after chapter 9): What is your response to the pigs using propaganda and manipulating the facts and figures to show the other animals they are producing much more than before? What are some ways we have seen this in real life?

message 2: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Star | 14 comments I believe it was smart to show they had more because if the others think they have less, they'll have a reason to overthrow the pigs just like when Mr. Jones was in control, and they were low on food, the animals rebelled. In real life, we see this with some businesses who are going bankrupt, who make people believe they're doing well so they invest and stuff.

message 3: by Scottie (new)

Scottie Poulsen | 11 comments Michelle wrote: "(after chapter 9): What is your response to the pigs using propaganda and manipulating the facts and figures to show the other animals they are producing much more than before? What are some ways w..."

I think it was smart to show how they were dominant enough to change animals minds and get what they want. We see this in our world today with any kind of propaganda. We don't know if it's 100% true but we chose to believe it anyways and have it affect decisions.

message 4: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Murrell | 15 comments I feel that it was selfish because the pigs were being manipulative in order to get to the highest social class when their entire purpose of the revolution was to become equal. I have to admit, they were very smart in the way that they manipulated the other animals, because even when the others suspected that the pigs were changing things, they made reasons that seemed very logical.

message 5: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Murrell | 15 comments Jerry wrote: "I believe it was smart to show they had more because if the others think they have less, they'll have a reason to overthrow the pigs just like when Mr. Jones was in control, and they were low on fo..."
I agree with Jerry in that the pigs were very intelligent, but it was still wrong of them to try to be above the rest of the farm.

message 6: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Murrell | 15 comments Scottie wrote: "Michelle wrote: "(after chapter 9): What is your response to the pigs using propaganda and manipulating the facts and figures to show the other animals they are producing much more than before? Wha..."
"Animal Farm" does show similar aspects of propaganda and manipulation of today's society.

message 7: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Skousen | 12 comments I think that it was wrong of the pigs to use propaganda to manipulate the other animals about production rates, but i think in order to keep the power they claimed they made the best decision.

message 8: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Skousen | 12 comments Scottie wrote: "Michelle wrote: "(after chapter 9): What is your response to the pigs using propaganda and manipulating the facts and figures to show the other animals they are producing much more than before? Wha..."

I agree with Scottie propaganda influences what we wear and what we eat. So it was smart of the pigs to use propaganda.

message 9: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Skousen | 12 comments Sydney wrote: "I feel that it was selfish because the pigs were being manipulative in order to get to the highest social class when their entire purpose of the revolution was to become equal. I have to admit, the..."

I agree with Sydney it was very selfish of the pigs to manipulate the other animals but i think it was required to keep the peoples support.

message 10: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Buer | 21 comments I felt that the pigs lying in order maintain their position in the farm was completely wrong, however, that was the only way they would have been able to stay in power.

message 11: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Buer | 21 comments Sydney wrote: "I feel that it was selfish because the pigs were being manipulative in order to get to the highest social class when their entire purpose of the revolution was to become equal. I have to admit, the..."

I agree because the pigs had to be very clever in order come up with reasons for them getting special treatment that the other animals would go along with

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Buer | 21 comments Jerry wrote: "I believe it was smart to show they had more because if the others think they have less, they'll have a reason to overthrow the pigs just like when Mr. Jones was in control, and they were low on fo..."

I agree because the whole reason the rebellion started was because the animals were underfed, by using propaganda, the pigs were able to stay in control despite the fact that rations were lower than when Jones ran the farm

message 13: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Skousen | 18 comments I think that it was a wise decision for the pigs to portray themselves as equal to the others. By doing this the pigs were able to seem good to the animals they were able to gain even more power over the animals.

message 14: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Skousen | 18 comments Jerry wrote: "I believe it was smart to show they had more because if the others think they have less, they'll have a reason to overthrow the pigs just like when Mr. Jones was in control, and they were low on fo..."

I agree with Jerry because the pigs eventually gained complete control of the farm

message 15: by Felicity (new)

Felicity Newman | 11 comments I knew this was going to happen because they can't always lie about certain food being "scientifically proven" to give the health to protect the others, therfore they had to come up with a new tactic. I feel like its very character compromising to do something like that to those of your own kind. However, we as humans or Americans do the same to each other. We use those types of strategies to steal money or to keep power in our hands. I feel mole this is a terrible thing to adapt to doing because sooner it later you'll get caught.