A Good Thriller discussion

Film and Television > Favourite John Wayne Films

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9519 comments Mod
Okay I know, many might say he cannot act, but I think he gave some great performances in some films and was a great American Institute.

Some of my favourites were

Rio Bravo
Red River
The Sands of Iwo Jima
The Searchers

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) He was an acquired taste for me, but now I love the Duke.

Favorites:

True Grit
The Searchers
The Cowboys

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall true grit - the only john wayne movie I could watch and not cringe

message 4: by Freda (new)

Freda Malone | 421 comments Sharon wrote: "true grit - the only john wayne movie I could watch and not cringe"

I know what you mean! My step father (a Marine) was a fan of his. Everything you could possibly think of was on the walls, related to John Wayne. Whenever my step-dad would bring out his movies, all us kids would suddenly be busy or gone. Phew...out the door! *laughing* I cringed when he insisted on talking about him. I like him, watched some of his movies, but nahhh. Not anymore. My mother said to me one day "I'm glad you're deaf, you can't hear your father imitating John Wayne." Okaaaay...."Howdy Pilgrim" "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do".

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) The Quiet Man
The Shootist
True Grit

message 6: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 183 comments I'm with Sharon on True Grit and for the same reason. John Wayne was my dad's hero when we were growing up so I have dire memories of being forced to watch all his films - we only had three tv channels at the time, so there was no escape from him in a 1970s house with no central heating. My dad always dreamed that one day John Wayne would appear on the doorstep and claim him as his long lost son. However, seeing as Hitler sent his mistress to live in our town during the war, and rumour had it that she had Hitler's baby, we always countered it with "nah, your Hitler's!"

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments True Grit was one of my husband's favorite movies; he loved John Wayne and he also liked the Quiet Ma.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I still have a lot out there I haven't seen of his. Not sure, but I'm guessing on True Grit for right now.

message 9: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Feb 20, 2015 01:46AM) (new)

Yes The Quite Man was a great film.

With the great legend Maureen O Hara who is 94 years old !!

Now lives near her family in Montana, after many years in Southern Ireland

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Sean; they made a wonderful couple.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments :)

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul  Elias | 17 comments The searchers

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments I never saw that.

message 14: by Sean, Moderator (new)

He made more good films that many forget.

Some of his westerns are regarded as the best made

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Yes, I would have to agree with you, my husband adored him. I also love Clint Eastwood's avant garde westerners.

message 16: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Charles Bronson turned down all Clint Eastwood early 60's westerns.

message 17: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Yes Very true !

A very dramatic serious performance.

message 18: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Gear (wmichaelgear) | 9 comments My favorite John Wayne film is The Shootist. Wayne's ability, as he got older, to convey true tragedy just got better and better. Not only that, Miles Swathout's screenplay of his father's novel was just excellent.

message 19: by Sean, Moderator (new)

A great cast, great final performance, as he was unwell in real life.

Great film

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Big Jake and his role in THE LONGEST DAY

message 21: by Sean, Moderator (new)

The Longest Day, what a cast !!

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Yeah. I'm surprised Christopher Lee wasn't in it.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) Kathleen wrote: "My favorite John Wayne film is The Shootist. Wayne's ability, as he got older, to convey true tragedy just got better and better. Not only that, Miles Swathout's screenplay of his father's novel ..."

I agree that John Wayne became a better actor with each movie. He never stopped improving. There's plenty of "John Wayne' in every one of his characters, but each individual role has certain nuances that make them stand on their own.

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Good point.

message 25: by E. (new)

E. | 693 comments I've seen several Wayne films, but I had the pleasure of seeing my first one, Rooster Cogburn, as a new release in the theater in 1974(?). I was 13, and I still remember most of the dialogue pretty vividly. I thought it was pretty funny.

Rooster- How old are you?
Eula -Shall we say..it has already struck midnight
&
Eula - Just to whom do you think you are talking, Mr. Marshall?
Rooster - You is to whom I think I am talking, Ma'am.

I've seen a few since (tv or video) but that one left an impression.

message 26: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Amber that is funny.

As 92 year old Christopher Lee had made over 250 films as has John Wayne.

Both appearring in many low budgets !

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale I was perfectly serious, especially considering the rumors that while he was in RAF during WWII that he was involved with something related to D-Day that he STILL can't talk about (Sir Christopher Lee).

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Like I said, Aaron, that's the rumor. Rumors about celebrities being at least a dime a dozen... .

message 29: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale True...sometimes they are true.

message 30: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale lol

message 31: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Ortolon (KenOrtolon) | 12 comments My absolute favorites are The Quiet Man and Rio Bravo.

message 32: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Yes in fact one actor in The LOngest Day played a part in the film and in real life during the war.

Richard Todd

Also the famous American actor Eddie Albert (Green Acres)during World War 2 won A Purple Heart on Omaha Beach.

In the film you see him on the beach.

Actor James Garner also won two Purple Hearts during the Korean war.

message 33: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Tyrone Power was ALSO involved in WWII... .

message 34: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Feb 27, 2015 02:38AM) (new)

And the great James Stewart.

Of course Audie Murphy, most decorated soldier

(great film To Hell and Back)

and
Neville Brand, the second most decorated soldier, played tough baddies.

message 35: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale I don't remember Neville Brand but I do the others.

message 36: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Ortolon (KenOrtolon) | 12 comments Neville Brand was in one of my favorite TV shows as a kid, "Laredo." It was about 3 Texas Rangers fighting crime along the Texas-Mexico border in the 1880s. Brand was one of them. The show was both funny and had lots of action.

message 37: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Neville Brand joined the US Army in 1939, bent on a career in the military. It was while he was in the army that he made his acting debut, in Army training films, and this experience apparently changed the direction of his life. Once a civilian again, he used his GI Bill education assistance to study drama with the American Theater Wing and then appeared in several Broadway plays. His film debut was in Port of New York (1949). Among his earliest films was the Oscar-winning Stalag 17 (1953). His heavy features and gravelly voice made Brand a natural tough guy (and he wasn't just a "movie" tough guy--he was among the most highly decorated American soldiers in World War II, fighting in the European Theater against the Germans). "With this kisser, I knew early in the game I wasn't going to make the world forget Clark Gable," he once told a reporter. He played Al Capone in Spin of a Coin (1961), The Scarface Mob (1959), and TV's The Untouchables (1959). Among his other memorable roles are the sympathetic guard in Birdman of Alcatraz (1962) and the representative of rioting convicts in Riot in Cell Block 11 (1954). Perhaps his best-known role was that of the soft-hearted, loud-mouthed, none-too-bright but very effective Texas Ranger Reese Bennett of Backtrack! (1969), Three Guns for Texas (1968), and TV's Laredo (1965).

He died in 1992 of emphysema, was a heavy smoker.

message 38: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Yesterday I watched and really enjoyed Rio Bravo... again..

Here John Wayne add humour into his role, especially with his work with the talented Walter Brennan, and his love interest Angie Dickinson( a great tole from her)

Sad to think that Ricky Nelson died so young.

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale All the greats seem to die young: Mozart, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper... .

message 40: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Yes, sadly true.

Love Buddy Holly music too

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Mom and Dad rousted me out of bed the night Ricky Nelson died.

And I was one of hundreds of kids at my school that witnessed the death of Christa MacAuliffe in the CHALLENGER disaster on the live broadcast.

message 42: by Brian (new)

Brian January (brianjanuary) | 8 comments I like the 60-ish-era westerns like Rio Bravo, El Dorado, The War Wagon, etc.

message 43: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale I don't know if I mentioned this already, but my favorite John Wayne movie was BIG JAKE.

message 44: by Samuel (last edited Sep 21, 2015 01:25PM) (new)

Samuel  | 266 comments My picks?

> The Man Who Shot Liberty Vance.

Goddamn. It's not every day you see John Wayne in a tragedy. And boy did he deliver with the most heartbreaking performance in his career.

> The Searchers.

A journey into the heart of darkness before Apocalypse Now. And only the duke could have delivered a performance which brutally deconstructs the more unpleasant aspects of the character archetype he usually was cast in.

> The Quiet Man

A classic romantic comedy, and the perfect answer to those who mistakenly believe John Wayne was a one trick pony. The dynamic between him and his friend Maureen O'Hara was superb.

> The Shootist

A fitting finale to an old pro, with the real life subtext helping this movie have so much weight.

message 45: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 266 comments Special mention goes to his father figure/mentor/slave driver John Ford. A good film maker, and a great one when you look at the underlying themes he explores in his films. From creating the myth of how the west was won, Mr Ford also showed the reality of the violence that went into building the modern American state.

message 46: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 266 comments An honorable mention would be Red River.
John Wayne managing to pull off a convincing "sanity slippage". There's a reason why his boss John Ford expressed surprise to the director of the film, that "the big lug could act".

message 47: by Gary (last edited Feb 02, 2016 04:42PM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 1111 comments Some of my favorites in no particular order:

Sands of Iwo Jima
The Fighting Kentuckian (Duke in a movie with Oliver Hardy)
Fort Apache (The fireworks between Henry Fonda and John Wayne are great fun to watch. A grown Shirley Temple and bunches of John Ford's stock company don't hurt.)
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Grande with Maureen O'Hara
McLintock! a western comedy with O'Hara, Stephanie Powers as their daughter and is basically a western retelling of The Taming of the Shrew.
The Longest Day
Donovan's Reef
Hatari
The Alamo (I have the Director's Cut on Laserdisc)

Others have mentioned The Quiet Man, The Searchers, Stagecoach, True Grit, The Shootist, Rio Bravo, Big Jake and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

message 48: by Amber (last edited May 23, 2017 02:02PM) (new)

Amber Martingale Big Jake and his role in the American portion of the D-Day film The Longest Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q5XL... (Big Jake trailer) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqFn_... (The Longest Day trailer)

message 49: by Marie (new)

Marie Sutro (mariesutro) | 84 comments Samuel wrote: "My picks?

> The Man Who Shot Liberty Vance.

Goddamn. It's not every day you see John Wayne in a tragedy. And boy did he deliver with the most heartbreaking performance in his career.

> The Se..."

Love him paired with Jimmy Stewart in The Man Who Shot Liberty Vance!!

message 50: by W (new)

W | 37 comments Recently saw Legend of the Lost,entertaining movie.

« previous 1