Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Need book set in Vienna/Austria Napoleonic wars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (jade1229) | 1 comments Hello,

I really want to learn more about Vienna or Austria in general during the Napoleonic wars. Help! What recommendations do you have? :)

Best,
Crystal

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 7 comments Hi Crystal!! Sorry, I don't have any recomendations, but I would love to hear the list!! I really enjoy historical fiction set in Vienna and Austria :)

message 3: by Anameeka (new)

Anameeka | 12 comments Hi there,
You could try Vienna Waltz. It is in my TBR list, so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

message 4: by Hamid (last edited Jan 31, 2015 09:19PM) (new)

Hamid Karima | 40 comments there are some historical books about this.you can choose one :
Aileen Armitage, A Double Sacrifice(2001 reissue; originally published 1975 as Empress to the Eagle under the pen name Aileen Quigley), about Napoleon Bonaparte's second empress, Marie Louise, the daughter of the Austrian emperor.

Armand Cabasson, Wolf Hunt (2008), a thriller about a French officer investigating a murder while Napoleon's army is in Austria; #2 in the Quentin Margont mystery series.

Michele Halberstadt, The Pianist in the Dark (2011), about a blind pianist, the daughter of the Empress of Austria's secretary, who discovers love after Franz-Anton Mesmer tries to restore her sight with his experimental new technique.

Richard Harvell, The Bells (2010), about a Swiss boy with a remarkable voice who joins a choir in Vienna, where he is forced to become a castrato and falls in love with a beautiful, crippled girl.

Naomi Jacob, The Irish Boy (1955), a biographical novel about the eighteenth century Irish tenor Michael Kelly, whose singing career took him to Italy and Austria.

David Weiss, Sacred and Profane (1968), a biographical novel about the Austrian composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

David Weiss, The Assassination of Mozart (1970), a novel about Mozart based on the theory that he was poisoned by his rival composer Salieri; sequel to Sacred and Profane.

message 5: by C.P. (last edited Feb 04, 2015 04:19PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 688 comments A Fatal Waltz is set in Vienna—vol. 3 of the Lady Emily mysteries, but you needn't have read the first two to get the gist.

A bit later than Napoleon, though.

message 6: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 44 comments The first book of Patrick Rambaud's Napoleon Trilogy is about the Battle of Esserling in 1809

The Battle by Patrick Rambaud