You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > Are You Ready for Your Mystery Date?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jan 23, 2015 10:16PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments So, are you ready for your Mystery Date? Who will it be?

A famous actor?
BRAD_PITT_GEORGE_CLOONEY_MATT_DAMON photo BRAD_PITT_GEORGE_CLOONEY_MATT_DAMON-1.jpg

A brainiac?
 photo MDEinstein_zps1f9e54b6.jpg

A drama queen?
 photo MDdrama-queen_zps3613eb4f.jpg

Or, God forbid, Justin Beiber?
justin beiber photo: Justin beiber Beiber-Pacman-Pacquiao_zpsf3846aee.jpg

This Toppler is one week long, and will begin on February 7th at noon EST and end at noon EST on the 14th.

A few rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For the last two use the page numbers on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
3. Each book must be at least 175 pages.
4. Toppler books can count toward the monthly challenge, the group theme read, and the yearly challenge if they qualify.
5. You may plan ahead and chose books for the challenge, but you are not restricted to those books. You may swap them out at will..
6. Each book can only count towards one task.

message 2: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jan 23, 2015 11:03AM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments So, let’s see who your mystery date is, and learn a few things about them.

What does your date look like? (For these books, the item must be on the cover.)

Read a book with a human head (or a human looking alien). Mostly the head, as little of the body as possible)
Read a book with a pair of eyes
Read a book with a torso, a frontal view
Read a book with a pair of legs
Read a book with a pair of shoes (you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes)

You never know where your Mystery Date might be from, your own neighborhood, across the country, or halfway around the world.

Read a book set in Africa
Read a book set in South America
Read a book set in Canada
Read a book set in an alien world or on some type of spaceship
Read a book set on an island

What does your Mystery Date do for a living? Do they have a job, live on family money, or sponge off of others?

Read a book where a main characters has a job that you’d like your date to have
Read a book where a main character has a job that you don’t want your date to have

What are you date’s hobbies?

Collecting comic books – Read a book that’s part of a series
Shooting – Read a book with some serious gunplay, or some type of weapon being used
Reading – Read an author that’s new to you
Clubbing – Read a book from another participant’s tbr
Role Play Games – Read a book with a geek as a character, or where gaming takes place
Crafting – Read a book with a main character does some type of craft for a hobby

There are plenty of well know couples. Is there one where you’d like to substitute yourself for one person and keep the other to be your date?

Adam and Eve – Read a fable, fairytale, myth, legend – can be original or retelling.
Samson and Delilah – Read a romance
Royce or Hadrian and Janice – Read a nonfiction
Romeo and Juliet – Read a YA book
Bonnie and Clyde – Read a crime thriller
John and Lorena Bobbitt ( If you’re not familiar with this couple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_and... ) - Read a book that takes place during a war and the war has a large impact on the characters.
Barbie and Ken – Read a chick lit book
June and Ward Cleaver – Read a post-apocalyptic book
Mickey and Minnie Mouse - Read a book where an animal is a main character
Shrek and Fiona – Read a book with a royal character
Johnny Depp and Debra – Read a sexy book
Claire and Jamie Fraser (Outlander) – Read a book with time travelling, or where the perspective changes between the present and the past
Shaggy and Scooby Doo – Read a murder mystery
Will Arnett and Amy Poehler – Read a humorous book
Gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett (Star Trek) – Read a science fiction book
Gomez and Morticia Addams – Read a paranormal book with ghosts, witches, or wizards
Daniel Craig and Connie – Read a magical realism book
Bella and Edward (Twilight) – Read a horror book
Lois Lane and Superman – Read a biography, autobiography, or memoir
Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet – Read a historical fiction book
Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark (Hunger Games) – Read a dystopian book
Buffy and Angel – Read a book with vampires or werewolves
Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund (Casablanca) - Read a classic
Robin Hood and Maid Marian – Read a fantasy (no vamps, werewolves, witches)
Brokeback Mountain’s Jack and Ennis – Read a book with forbidden love, because of gender, race, class, religion…
Hazel Grace and Augustus – Read a tearjerker
Almeta and Kermit - Read a book where a human and other life form interact. (Vampire, werewolf, witch, robot, alien)

message 3: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jan 23, 2015 08:41PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Points

Points are going to be easy to calculate.

10 points -> Each book read

Bonus:
25 points -> Complete all "What does your date look like" tasks
25 points -> Complete all tasks for "Where your date is from"
30 points -> Complete all tasks for "What are your date's hobbies?"

*Each section may be completed more than once, but bonus points will only be given once.

There are 25 secret bonus points that will be awarded to one team at the end.

message 4: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments reserved

message 5: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I wanted to post it in parts to fix any spacing issues and whatever. Word will not space right. (Really I though about doing one part every few hours, but I knew what would happen)

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Jan 23, 2015 09:23AM) (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Love that first picture J'mom! Out for the night with Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Matt Damon? I could die right then and be well happy ;-)

EDIT: But they all need to grow a bit of stubble as they're looking a bit clean in that picture.

Had to laugh and Royce or Hadrian being matched with Janice! I wouldn't dare substitute Janice out of that coupling ;-)

I'm going to go off and do a provisional gopher now!

message 7: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I'm off to work now. Enjoy and have fun gophering!

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Funny Sarah my wife thinks she likes stubble, yet calls me dagger face.must be looking and touching are two different things

message 9: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Funny Sarah my wife thinks she likes stubble, yet calls me dagger face.must be looking and touching are two different things"

When you're just looking stubble is better, when you're doing more than that, then clean shaven all the way ;-)

message 10: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Point system coming tonight, but wanted to end the whining waiting :)"

Whining? There isn't anyone here that whines....

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Woot! Thanks J'mom! :))))

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Woohoo!!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Thanks Jmom! Looks great as always! :)

Happy dancing photo: Dancing Yoshi! dancing-happy-yoshi.gif

message 14: by Almeta (last edited Jan 23, 2015 10:57AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10040 comments Hey! How come Debra's always taking my man?! ;(

message 15: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments ATTENTION!! I have added another couple to the end of the task list.

message 16: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Almeta wrote: "Hey! How come Debra's always taking my man?! ;("

How's that?

message 17: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10040 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Almeta wrote: "Hey! How come Debra's always taking my man?! ;("

How's that?"

VERY FUNNY

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Sounds great!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Lisa wrote: "Thanks Jmom! Looks great as always! :)

"

Lisa, I love it when you go all "mini-Meta" LOL! :D

message 20: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Sarah wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "Funny Sarah my wife thinks she likes stubble, yet calls me dagger face.must be looking and touching are two different things"

When you're just looking stubble is better, when..."

Yup seems to be the way. She is big on Gerard Butler. I keep exactly the same amount of stubble as him. Apparently it is fine for him to have it. But 4-5 times a year I may go clean shaven, but definitely not in winter. Need my insulation.

message 21: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10040 comments Laura wrote: "Lisa, I love it when you go all "mini-Meta" LOL! :D "

lol!

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "Funny Sarah my wife thinks she likes stubble, yet calls me dagger face.must be looking and touching are two different things"

When you're just looking stubble i..."

Stubbly face, I think....Keith Urban. Enough said. I'm actually working on his portrait, if it turns out, I may post it in the "what I made" thread lol.

message 23: by Marie Claude (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 958 comments Will there be a thread to get books approved, or do we do it here?

I would like to check whether Ready Player One would work for "Role Play Games – Read a book with a geek as a character, or where gaming takes place"

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9258 comments Let's gophering!

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I'd say yes but best wait for Jmom's ruling. It's not role playing but it is gaming and many of the characters are geeks. I loved that book.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Oops. That last post was for Marie Claude. I'm on the app.

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Marie Claude wrote: "Will there be a thread to get books approved, or do we do it here?

I would like to check whether Ready Player One would work for "Role Play Games – Read a book with a geek as a char..."

I loved that book! It was sooooo good! Hope jmom says yes :-)

message 28: by Marie Claude (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 958 comments Stephanie wrote: "Marie Claude wrote: "Will there be a thread to get books approved, or do we do it here?

I would like to check whether Ready Player One would work for "Role Play Games – Read a book ..."

Dh read and loved it and he can't wait to see what I think LOL

message 29: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Marie Claude wrote: "Will there be a thread to get books approved, or do we do it here?

I would like to check whether Ready Player One would work for "Role Play Games – Read a book with a geek as a char..."

Only if you can listen to it! Yes it's definitely got gaming and qualifies. I listened to it and Wil Wheaton did a fantastic job narrating! I wouldn't have enjoyed the book nearly as much without him.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13130 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Only if you can listen to it! Yes it's definitely got gaming and qualifies. I listened to it and Wil Wheaton did a fantastic job narrating! I wouldn't have enjoyed the book nearly as much without him."

Glad to see that. I recently purchased it on audible. :)

message 31: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Oh good Kristie! Wil really puts the action and emotions into his narration. You can picture yourself in the story.

message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jan 23, 2015 02:37PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16829 comments Lexx doesn't like beards, and doesn't like clean shaven as the next couple of days make him itchy. So he uses hair clippers to trim his beard down to what we refer to as "designer stubble". It's longer than normal stubble so softer, so a good solution for those who like stubble or have partners who do. There is nothing worse that gravel rash.

I was looking for some lovely lady options for Travis or anyone else of that persuasion joining us, and found this page. Not really big on photos of celebs, but some of these portraits are fantastic http://www.ufunk.net/en/populaires/ma...

message 33: by Lisa (last edited Jan 23, 2015 02:41PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Thanks Jmom! Looks great as always! :)

"

Lisa, I love it when you go all "mini-Meta" LOL! :D"

Lol! We did learn from the Meta Master after all ;)

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16829 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Only if you can listen to it! Yes it's definitely got gaming and qualifies. I listened to it and Wil Wheaton did a fantastic job narrating! I wouldn't have enjoyed the book nearly as much without him. "

Guessing I can read it too lol. My Wil Wheaton tolerance is about 90secs before I want to punch him. I'm serious. I've timed it on YouTube videos.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Lisa wrote: "Laura wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Thanks Jmom! Looks great as always! :)

"

Lisa, I love it when you go all "mini-Meta" LOL! :D"

Lol! We did learn from the Meta Master after all ;)"

Didn't we? aaahh good times. :)

message 36: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2015 02:58PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Rusalka wrote: "Lexx doesn't like beards, and doesn't like clean shaven as the next couple of days make him itchy. So he uses hair clippers to trim his beard down to what we refer to as "designer stubble". It's lo..."

There's something about Aussie stubble in particular.....

Michael Johns is the other Aussie I had a major crush on when he was on American Idol a few years back. Searched for news on him the other day when I was looking up Keith Urban pics and he is DEAD. I could not believe it. I'm still stunned. 35 years old and died 8/1/14. Apparently had too much to drink. :((((

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Laura wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Lexx doesn't like beards, and doesn't like clean shaven as the next couple of days make him itchy. So he uses hair clippers to trim his beard down to what we refer to as "designer s..."

Oh, I love American Idol! I saw that when Michael Johns passed :( so sad :(

message 38: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Do we have to read a book from each category to pass the challenge?

message 39: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments And if a book falls under two categories, do we count it twice?

message 40: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Lexx is the man! I shave the exact same way. Or don't shave however you look at it. Hair clippers all the way. Razor burn and ingrown hairs suck thats the problem with daily shaving plus it takes me all of about 4 hrs to get a 5 oclock shadow anyway

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "Didn't we? aaahh good times :)

They certainly were good times :) And now we are putting our new skills to good use ;)

message 42: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Designer stubble. I call it the jimmy johnson of course if you know nothing of nascar or lowes commercials yoi have no clue who the JJ is anyway

message 43: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16829 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Lexx is the man! I shave the exact same way. Or don't shave however you look at it. Hair clippers all the way. Razor burn and ingrown hairs suck thats the problem with daily shaving plus it takes..."

Lol. Lexx is smirking and praising your intelligence. Solidarity from halfway across the world!

message 44: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16829 comments Gail wrote: "Do we have to read a book from each category to pass the challenge?"

Jmom's at work, but she said points and more rules will be posted when she gets back. I have a feeling most questions will be answered then.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Stephanie wrote: "Laura wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Lexx doesn't like beards, and doesn't like clean shaven as the next couple of days make him itchy. So he uses hair clippers to trim his beard down to what we refer to ..."

It really was. He was so talented. How does someone like that become an alcoholic? Apparently he and his wife were splitting. I don't know but it really bums me out.

message 46: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16829 comments Laura wrote: "How does someone like that become an alcoholic?"

Don't know who you are talking about at all, but remember that substance abuse, depression and anxiety can affect anyone. https://www.lifeline.org.au/

message 47: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments How thoughtful to post that link Rusalka, but Reese Witherspoon is the only woman for me. Got a 20 yr crush going on there. And maybe Jewel as well

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Rusalka wrote: "Laura wrote: "How does someone like that become an alcoholic?"

Don't know who you are talking about at all, but remember that substance abuse, depression and anxiety can affect anyone. https://www..."

No doubt. Michael Johns - he's Aussie born, but was living in US and was a finalist on American Idol a few years back.

It just seems ... shocking for some reason when someone is so young, with all that talent, and had a good chance at making their dream come true. Probably shouldn't be so surprising, but it was, for me.

Anyway...looking forward to hearing more about the toppler, J'mom, and thanks for putting it together for us.

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Lisa wrote: "Laura wrote: "Didn't we? aaahh good times :)

They certainly were good times :) And now we are putting our new skills to good use ;)"

haha, no doubt, Lisa! :D

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47784 comments ROFL! Love your couples, j'mom. These two are all mine....

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.