Victorians! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations Archives > Nominations for February-March 2015

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Please nominate one book for our February/March group read. This thread will close on January 30,2015. Thank you!

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee | 129 comments I nominate A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, because the recent pro-Charlie rallies in Paris have left me sentimental for the French Revolution, because my friend recently spoke with great fondness of one of the characters he still remembers vividly (despite having read the book as a teenager,) and because it's a bulky and thick classic that may be a nice contrast to the lighter New Grub Street we've recently read.

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice | 37 comments I nominate The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins.

The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins

message 4: by Jana (new)

Jana Eichhorn | 26 comments I was thinking Wilkie Collins too! I'd like to nominate Armadale.

message 5: by Tommi (new)

Tommi | 96 comments I would like to give Thackeray another chance since Vanity Fair left me a bit cold (though a revisit would do good). I was thinking of The History of Henry Esmond, Esq.. Historical fiction. Some people consider, or at least considered at Thackeray’s time, it the best of his works.

message 6: by Pip (new)

Pip | 817 comments Tommi wrote: "I would like to give Thackeray another chance since Vanity Fair left me a bit cold (though a revisit would do good). I was thinking of The History of Henry Esmond, Esq.. Historical fi..."

That sounds like an interesting choice, and nice and chunky! Did Thackeray write anything under 500 pages?!
I loved Armadale, and would be happy to join in with a discussion on it, even though I might not have time for a complete reread.
The Haunted Hotel might be a bit skimpy for a six week read; it's fun, though I've had it in two of my other groups recently so I'm biased against it this time round ;-)

message 7: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2531 comments Janice wrote: "I nominate The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins.

The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins"

That is right now being read in another group. I don't name competing groups in open posts, but if you are interested send me a PM and I'll refer you to the group.

message 8: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2531 comments Tommi wrote: "I would like to give Thackeray another chance since Vanity Fair left me a bit cold (though a revisit would do good). I was thinking of The History of Henry Esmond, Esq.. Historical fi..."

Interesting nomination. It's not nearly as famous today as Vanity Fair, but John Sutherland considers it his finest foray into historical literature.

message 9: by Pip (new)

Pip | 817 comments That's about as sound a recommendation as you can get! Also, I find historical-historical literature fascinating because you have three time periods to deal with: the period being written about, the period in which it was written and the contemporary (ie 21st century) reading.

message 10: by Janice (new)

Janice | 37 comments Since The Haunted Hotel is currently being read in other groups and another Wilkie Collins book has been nominated, I don't mind withdrawing my nomination.

Armadale is on my to read list as well.

message 11: by Bharathi (new)

Bharathi (bharathi14) | 158 comments I would like to second 'The tale of two cities '. I have to read more Dickens to contrast him with Trollope.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) The poll is up for February/March 2015. It will remain open for a week.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.