Bookclubbing with Holly discussion

Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybygollybooks) | 15 comments Welcome everybody! Just so everyone gets to know each other a little bit lets all say a few things about ourselves! :) My name is Holly, I'm 20 years old from Wisconsin and I have been a bookstagrammer and BookTuber for about half a year now! If I'm not reading I'm usually a TV show freak and I am ridiculously obsessed with American Horror Story! I read mostly young adult books and I enjoy branching out and reading different genres! As for my future I plan to just keep on doing my BookTube videos and Book Instagram page and I hope to get some sort of career that involves books! So now that you know a little more about me, tell me about yourself! What is the book and/or series that turned you into an avid reader!? For me it was The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare! I look forward to talking to you all! :)

message 2: by Brittany (last edited Jan 23, 2015 08:20AM) (new)

Brittany (thebookaddictedreader) | 2 comments Hi,I'm Brittany. I was never really a reader until I discovered the Harry Potter books. I read them in school and then sort of quit reading again, then discovered Twilight. I can't say I'm obsessed over the saga anymore, but it does still have a special place in my heart. Now I read pretty much anything YA. I read more now than I ever have before.

There is a quote somewhere that says, "I didn't ask to be a bookworm, I just got lucky." That is exactly how I feel.

I have quite a few favorite books now. A few are: The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare, The LUX series by Jennifer L Armentrout, Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children books by Ransom Riggs(even the third one, which isn't out yet), and All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

There are several more I love, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.

Pleased to meet you!

message 3: by Olena (new)

Olena Patsevko (deardeerdrinkduff) Hi everyone! My name is Helen , and I wasn't born a bookworm too. When I was 13 years old I opened a beautiful world of fiction and now I am here to read smth. Cool . I hope I'll find a lot of friends here . Add me

message 4: by rory (new)

rory gilmore (rorygiimore) Hey everyone! My name is Leona, I'm 18 and I'm from the UK :-) I read pretty much all the time, but it's so hard to balance it between all the school work. I'll be going university next year to study creative writing, and I hope to write myself one day! Aside from reading, I love TV (especially American TV - the comedy is just so much better than British comedy...). I follow loads of TV shows.

I've been a reader since I was a child, but I kind of forgot it for a couple years during my tween times. But, one day, my sister made me go to see the Hunger Games film in the cinema and I fell so hard in love with that I bought the books as soon as I'd left the cinema. The rest is history...

I love meeting and talking to new people who also share my passion of reading! I also love watching book tubers, including Holly (who is the reason I'm here!).

message 5: by Celine (new)

Celine Lindeskov | 1 comments Hey guys! I'm Celine, and I live in Denmark. My father is a book collector and when I was little I kept asking him what the heck he saw in all those damn books. Now I own about 500 books and I keep buying more!
I love to play the cello, guitar and piano and I am training to become an opera singer someday. I speak Danish fluently and English quite fluently and I'm learning Spanish, German, Old English, Swedish, Norwegian and a bit of French. I would loooove to learn Latin, Gaelic and Welch.
I'd love to chat with you if you want :)

message 6: by Magali (last edited Jan 23, 2015 09:09AM) (new)

Magali (iloveb0oks) Hi everyone! :) My name is Magali, I'm 20 and live in California. I actually hated reading when I was younger (maybe because my teachers' forced me to read) but some random day I went shopping and found myself wandering in the book section and ended up buying Divergent. When I finished reading it I realized it was a trilogy, so the next day I went to buy the other two books. I found my love for reading since then but don't have any friends who enjoy reading. I look forward to meeting new friends and talking about books. :)

Victoria (thepetitebookblogger) (thepetitebookblogger) Hi! my name is Victoria,I am 16 and from Spain but, live in NJ.I have always loved reading and when I wasn't old enough to read I would make others read to me my whole bookshelf.I am bilingual and am studying Italian.My favorite music to listen to while reading is movie scores. I would really like to learn how to cook Italian food since its my favorite and I'm the biggest movie junkie ever! I'm looking foward to discussing books with all of you!

message 8: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (trnjoanna) Hi everyone, I'm Anna @treasureinbooks on Twitter. I live in Paris and I've been a bookworm for like a year and a half now, I'm 16 and Twilight is the book series that turned me into an avid reader tbh. Just like you Holly, if I'm not reading I'm a TV show freak. I watch many TV shows, animes and movies. I read mostly YA books but I don't mind trying all the genres. I've never been in a book club (?) so it's all new to me, I hope we'll get along well.

message 9: by thegirlonfire (new)

thegirlonfire | 2 comments hello, my name is Adriana,im 19 and from portugal but im living in canada(quebec) since last year.
i speak portuguese, english, and learning french
besides of reading i love to watch tv shows, movies, and paint.
my favorite genre is survival, apocalypse, dystopian and fantasie etc
the tv shows i watch are: teen wolf, the vampire diaries, the originals, the walking dead, american horror story, once upon a time, the 100, z nation i dont know if im missiong more :P
my Favorite genre of movies is horror, and of course movie books adaptations

ahh i also like games
and im just starting to read books in english.. so everyone can give me recommendations on books that are easy to read and understand in english :)

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybygollybooks) | 15 comments Brittany wrote: "Hi,I'm Brittany. I was never really a reader until I discovered the Harry Potter books. I read them in school and then sort of quit reading again, then discovered Twilight. I can't say I'm obsessed..."

Awweeee I totally forgot to mention Twilight as well! That was another series that will always have a special place in my heart, too! :)

That quote is sooo perfect! I definitely have to agree with it, I feel so lucky as well to have grown into a bookworm! :)

You have awesome taste in books, and I've also been realllyyyy wanting to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children!!<3

Pleased to meet you as well!!!

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybygollybooks) | 15 comments Olena wrote: "Hi everyone! My name is Helen , and I wasn't born a bookworm too. When I was 13 years old I opened a beautiful world of fiction and now I am here to read smth. Cool . I hope I'll find a lot of fri..."

Hi Helen!! Nice to meet you :D
You will most definitely gain a bunch of bookworm friends!! My bookworm friends are my best friends hahah so it's just amazing to have this community! :)
and I definitely feel like it has been growing!

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybygollybooks) | 15 comments Leona wrote: "Hey everyone! My name is Leona, I'm 18 and I'm from the UK :-) I read pretty much all the time, but it's so hard to balance it between all the school work. I'll be going university next year to stu..."

I definitely feel you on it being hard to catch up on a lot of reading because life has to be too much in the way! Ugh hahahaha life should give us more time to read xD and that's awesome that you are going into creative writing!! I always wished that I could write, but I'm definitely just a reader not a writer hahaha.

I have never watched any UK television, but now you have me super curious! I've never realized there's a totally different kind of humor hahaha.

And aweeee well thank you so much for joining the group!!!<3 :D

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybygollybooks) | 15 comments Celine wrote: "Hey guys! I'm Celine, and I live in Denmark. My father is a book collector and when I was little I kept asking him what the heck he saw in all those damn books. Now I own about 500 books and I keep..."

Hi Celine!! That is so cool that your dad is a book collector! WOW your bookshelves must seriously be the most amazing thing ever, between yours and your dads!

You know soooo many languages that is so cool! I really wish that I would have studied more languages when I was younger because I think it is just so awesome that you can communicate with people from so many different countries! :)

Thank you for joining the group!

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybygollybooks) | 15 comments Magali wrote: "Hi everyone! :) My name is Magali, I'm 20 and live in California. I actually hated reading when I was younger (maybe because my teachers' forced me to read) but some random day I went shopping and ..."

Hello Magali!!! Ooooooo I'm jealous I love California so much hahaha. And oh wow!! That's sooo cool, it's like books literally reached out to you themselves hahaha.

I don't have any friends who enjoy reading very much either so you're in the perfect place!!! Thank you for joining this group I really hope that everyone has fun and meets a bunch more awesome book friends :)

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybygollybooks) | 15 comments Roscurrolunaysol wrote: "Hi! my name is Victoria,I am 16 and from Spain but, live in NJ.I have always loved reading and when I wasn't old enough to read I would make others read to me my whole bookshelf.I am bilingual and ..."

Hi Victoria!!! Awee that's so amazing! I would LOVE to learn Italian and UGH yes Italian food is simply one of the best hahaha.

Movie scores are seriously one of the greatest things to listen to ever! My friends always thought I was crazy for blasting movie scores while driving in my car hahahaha so I'm happy that someone else enjoys movie scores as much as I do xD

Thanks so much for joining the group I look forward to all of the book discussions as well! :)

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybygollybooks) | 15 comments Anna wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Anna @treasureinbooks on Twitter. I live in Paris and I've been a bookworm for like a year and a half now, I'm 16 and Twilight is the book series that turned me into an avid reader..."

Hi Anna!!! First off, let me just say that I'm SUPER JEALOUS that you live in Paris! :O Especially after reading Anna and the French Kiss I have just been dying to go there hahaha. (Are you sure this book isn't secretly based off of you since your name is Anna as well?) Hahahaha.

Thank you so much for joining my group! I have never hosted a group like this before either so it looks like we'll all be learning how this all works together! xD

message 17: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybygollybooks) | 15 comments Adriana wrote: "hello, my name is Adriana,im 19 and from portugal but im living in canada(quebec) since last year.
i speak portuguese, english, and learning french
besides of reading i love to watch tv shows, mo..."

Hi Adriana!! :) YAY another TV show lover! AH I seriously love AHS and Once Upon a Time so much!<3<3

That's so awesome you speak so many languages! It looks like very many people in this group speak a variety of languages so we will definitely have to come up with some good recommendations that are easy for everybody to read!! :D

Thank you so much for joining my group and I really look forward to discussing books with everybody!

message 18: by Alvie (new)

Alvie Garcia (alviejgarcia) Hello everyone! I'm Alvie. I'm 21 and I live in Costa Rica. And I'm really bad at writing about myself, here we go!
I love reading, yay! The series that turned me into an avid reader, easy! Harry Potter! It became an immediate obsession. I'm a Whovian Gryffindor. I have a weakness for baby pomeranians (they are so cute!!), glitter, waffles and big fluffy cats. Fabulous is my favorite word. I love teaching especially when I get to sub for my music teacher. I play the ukulele. I'm obsessed with anything Broadway. I like hockey. And I love Illustrating.

I usually spend entire seasons working on musical productions (I'm a theatre major). I'm interning in music education and elementary education simultaneously, at the same time I'm doing research and creating curriculums for several classes that I will be teaching in the near future. One class I'm very excited about is Quidditch! :D :D
I'm also preparing for my first professional teaching job this summer and my next show which will happen right after (not busy at all, nope). I struggle to find time time to read nowadays. I might be a little behind with whatever ya'll are reading, but I'll try to keep up! I'm so glad to be part of this group! AAAHHH!!! (too much coffee, lol)

message 19: by Sanja (new)

Sanja  | 6 comments Hi everybody!! My name is Sanya and i'm from Macedonia (The former Yugoslav Republic of). I'm 16, and The Mortal Instruments are to blame for the whole book buying and starting a bookstagram thing. (Actually ones upon a time i went to the cinema and City of Bones (i didn't know anything about it, i didn't even know there was a movie) was the random pick (because leather jackets, combat boots and something like tattoos and i guess i'm in) ....and the 1st time i went was with best friend #1 and i really really liked it, the cast especially, and so i went again with best friend #2 with the excuse that she hasn't seen it ...and then i found out that there are the books and that is the story of how i started)
i speak Macedonian which is my native language,i can understand Serbian and Croatian (because relatives), English my love!!! ( i might have refused to read anything but English xD so reading books for school was a problem :)) i used to have German classes aka i know something (because when the real teacher returned i started hating it... idk), some Spanish words, some Italian (because wattpad).
This is my first time being in a group, thanks Holly for the invite :)
and i want to apologize in advance if there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes( i try not to make any but it happens :))
Looking forward to this :)

message 20: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Moore (jasminmoore) | 1 comments Hey, I'm Jasmin, 17, from Northern Ireland. I used to read a bit when I was younger and only started getting interested in books again in the past 3 years (sadly). TMI and TID are my favourite series and Cassandra Clare is my favourite author. I find it hard now to balance my A-levels with reading and because of this I often stop reading for long periods of time and it sucks. However contemporaries seem to be my calling at the minute. Also don't hate me but I don't get the big hype on Harry Potter books, although I probably should've read them before I watched the movies:(. I love all kinds of books but avoid anything to do with space and aliens weirdly bc I love space! I just don't like the whole spaceship stuff idk. Apart from reading I love tv, film and music. I'm very passionate about them. I also love animals, I have 2 dogs (1 husky puppy&1 american bullmastiff x Rottweiler), I have a very ancient cat and 2 degu's. I live by the sea and I love it. I also love roadtrips and forests and exploring. When I get money and school out of the way I want to roadtrip across America.:) I just want to get out of Northern Ireland.

But hey everyone!:)

message 21: by Rivalie (new)

Rivalie (dearrivarie) Hi everyone! My name is Rivalie and I'm a 17 year old book blogger from the US. I've been reading for as long as I remember but it wasn't until I started blogging that I really dived into the communities that came along with reading. My favorite genre is probably fantasy because I grew up with a family of LOTR mega fans. I have an obsession with pens and stationary, as well as bunnies and wolves. I'm also a huge BBC fan, my favorite show is definitely BBC Merlin! I'm super excited to meet new people and read some awesome books! Wanna be friends? :)

~Riv

message 22: by Matty (new)

Matty | 2 comments Hi everyone! My names Matty & I am 19 years old.(: I've been an avid reader since I was a little girl(: I would say I first started out reading Junie B. Jones books & Judy Moody, American Girl books, & Time Warp Trio. Then I started reading Harry Potter books when I was in 5th grade & it just opened up so many more doors for my love of reading lol I hope to one day work at an elementary school library, so I could share my love of books with children & encourage them to read(: I pretty much want them to have the same experience I had when I was in elementary school & was always excited whenever I got to check out a new book(: If not even a regular library is fine, I just want to be surrounded by books(x lol

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina | 1 comments Hi my name is christina. I'm 20 and I'm from San Diego, California. I barely just started to get back into reading and i wasn't aware that the community was this big and so passionate about book reading. I hope I get to share my experiences with all of you :)

message 24: by Mélan (new)

Mélan Hey :) My name is Mélanie, i'm 24 and i'm from France. My favorite book of all time is "The book thief" by Markus Zusak. I enjoy so many genre of books but i really love SciFi, fantasy, and YA. I'm addictive to Goodreads now because it's so fun to share my reads with all of you :)

message 25: by Luz (last edited Jan 27, 2015 12:38PM) (new)

Luz Ruybal (Luz26) | 4 comments Hi there my name is Luz (pronounced Loose)I am 22 years old born in California but have been a Denver Co resident majority of my life. I have a beautiful 2 year old baby girl and a awesome hubby! I love to read but for the past 2 years I haven't read as much as I would've liked to. My book collection has increased dramatically and I need to finish those books up!! I love getting recommendations and want to be able to read more and hoping this will be a way to have some fun with it as well! I mainly recall from my middle school years reading Cirque Du Freak, Twilight Series, and Harry Potter that started my love for books.

message 26: by Makayla (last edited Jan 27, 2015 06:39PM) (new)

Makayla (Allikay29) | 5 comments Hi! I'm Makayla, I feel like I am introducing myself to some support group. . .Wow awkward. . . Just Kidding, Hello Holly! Haha, but for everyone else who doesn't know me of course I am Makayla, I am fifteen though I don't look it, I read all genres but I enjoy mystery and fantasy books more than Contemporaries, I have never read a Nicholas Sparks book even though I have four of his books and have watch two of the movies. I have never watched or read the Notebook, I don't even know what it's about, I hate cliche characters and I read Percy Jackson before it was cool! Haha
What made me an avid reader was probably The magic tree house books as a tiny nine year old and I swear I've read them all and don't remember a single one! Then I started reading Percy Jackson with my brother and this boy who was my best nerd friend in fourth/fifth grade, I was reading all the time that I was totally out of my schools reading grade levels and my teachers would just start suggesting books for me to read. But this year was when I started really getting into books and it started with the good ole Pretty Little Liars books, and of course The Mortal Instruments and THAT is how I met Holly, who is now a very close friend of mine! I hope to someday go to college and study many different subjects surrounding Literature, like creative writing/ fiction writing and to one day find a job relating to books. I want to write or become an editor, or work for some kind of publisher. I want to travel as I have only ever been in the south my whole life, hopefully I can make some observations while I visit Florida for the first time in March! Which leads to my dancing. I have been a dancer for two years but I used to take gymnastics at around 7 to 8 years old, but I am one of those people who only dance for fun because I love competition dance. I am an American Horror Story fanatic and I know Holly knows it because we started watching it together, Imagine if we hadn't! What would life be??? Um, I don't have anything else really to say but, Read On!

message 27: by Makayla (new)

Makayla (Allikay29) | 5 comments Leona wrote: "Hey everyone! My name is Leona, I'm 18 and I'm from the UK :-) I read pretty much all the time, but it's so hard to balance it between all the school work. I'll be going university next year to stu..."

Wow, I wonder how different everything is over there! I've always wanted to travel! It's nice to meet you, kind of meet you anyway, haha.

message 28: by yassi (new)

yassi Hey, I'm Yassi and I'm from Germany. Yep, far away.
I mostly read english books, like 90% of the books I read are english and just some "hard reads" in my first language.

I'm 22 years old and I'm working as a media designer.
In my free time I spend time with my family and friends and when I'm not doing just that I'm reading. Mostly ya and contemporary. I'm not reading a lot of fantasy ya, but I'm slowly getting there too :)

My favorite author is John Green and he's responsible for my love for books! I started reading more than the "normal human being" just recently at the beginning of 2014. But I really want to make this new year the time were I don't do anything else :D

GREETS! <3

message 29: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Cassidy (cameroncassidy) | 1 comments Hello my name is Cameron I'm 12 years old and live north Boston in Massachusetts. I've been avidly reading YA for about a year and I am currently reading Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken. I am in the 6th grade and go to school in New Hampshire so my drive is a little long but that's irrelevant. I love to read and have hated reading most of my life but last year I read The Giver by Lois Lowry and I've been reading ever since.

message 30: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ramblingbooks) Hi! My name is Danielle, I am 21 years old and live in South Florida.

Like most people on here I have met, Harry Potter is what really got me into reading as a kid. I read it in 3rd grade and have been unable to put books down since. My love of books has led me to pursue a degree in English Literature in college. I am currently in my 3rd year and hope to someday be an editor, or have some other job that involves books. My favorite genres are fantasy, paranormal, dystopian, and historical (especially things dealing with the Tudor era and Romanovs). I read mostly YA but have been trying to branch out more over the past couple years to more adult novels. Also classics as well; I absolutely love Jane Austen.

Other things about me...well I am finally on season 8 of Doctor Who which is now one of my favorite shows ever (all time favorite is Gilmore Girls). I love Audrey Hepburn films, Funny Face being my favorite one. I am a HUGE hockey fan, and the Backstreet Boys biggest fan xD

So there's a bunch of random things about me haha. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here! :)

Kevin (Irish Reader) Hi everyone! My name is Kevin and I'm an 18 year old boy from Ireland!
I have been obsessed with reading every since I read The Hunger Games trilogy! I mostly read YA books and the occasional New Adult or Middle Grade. I have a BookTube channel which I have been posting videos about books and movies etc. If you would like to check that out I'll leave a link at the end of this. But yes I am very excited to be participating in the Read-That-Trilogy! I'm planning on finishing the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness!
Ok see you guys later and happy reading!

My BookTube:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWp8l4...

message 32: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Miller (galakra) | 2 comments Hi, I am Natalia from Argentina but living in USA since 2007. My love for books is since I was a little kid. I love every kind of book. I have a booktuber channel, I try to write my reviews about books in my blog.
I am not a fast reader, but I am very passionate about discuss a book :)
I love read-a-thons and it is the first year that i was joining several of them, so far it was amazing and i love when people keep cheering for each other in via Twitter during those read-a-long :)

I will be glad to subscribe to your channels or blogs and share information about books :)

message 33: by Heidi (last edited Feb 15, 2015 04:42PM) (new)

Heidi Selas (heidiselasbooks) | 2 comments Hey everyone!! I am Heidi. I am actually Holly's sister, and of course I had to join in on the fun! :) I think I am the oldest in this group, at 24 years old. I love YA books. I have read several adult books but I guess since I'm not married or have kids I still don't really relate to them yet. I never really read books while in school since I hated reading what my teachers wants me to read until my senior year. I read Jurassic Park, Lord of the Flies and 2001: A Space Odyssey. These books made me want to start actually reading. Twilight was a good start, but Hunger Games and Divergent are the two series that started my obsession! I also enjoy reading comics and graphic novels. I cannot wait to read and discuss with you all!