Green Group discussion

News and Current Events > The US Senate almost believes in science

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1574 comments Mod
Senate almost believes in science:

http://www.defendersblog.org/2015/01/...

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian Burt | 426 comments Mod
It's indeed very sad that overwhelming scientific consensus is dismissed as "opinion" or a conspiracy-theory "hoax" by politicians who simply don't want to accept the implications. James Inhofe as Senate Environment Chair? Are you kidding?!? Only in America, I guess.

New Senate Environment Chair Gets His Gavel, Goes On Rant Arguing Climate Science Is A Hoax

message 3: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1574 comments Mod
That man is such a disgrace.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 38 comments These are scary times for all things environmental. Both the House and the Senate are chock full of climate change deniers of all stripes, and what they have planned by way of either repealing old legislation (like the Endangered Species Act or the Clean Air Act, not to mention the disbanding of the EPA) or new legislation to overturn what they consider to be judicial fiat, we are in for a world of hurt. The only thing standing between us and the utter destruction of the environment through things like the Keystone Pipeline and the Trans Pacific Partnership is the veto of Barack Obama. I don't consider him to be an environmentally friendly President on any level. After all, this is a person who supported the delisting of the still endangered wolves to appease Western ranching and mining constituencies. There is the possibility that he will veto some of the more egregious attempts, however not likely if they are embedded in riders in Defense Funding bills or Budget bills. This is the tactic of preference for Reps and Senators who have no chance of getting their ideas passed on the merits. All we can do is keep plugging away and hope that the electorate (including us) comes to its senses in 2016. I'm not overly optimistic on this account either.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 38 comments Sadly, these curmudgeons have ways to dismantle without outright repeal. They just starve scientific agencies for money under the guise of "balancing the budget." No money for NASA, NOAA, NIH, EPA, etc. The FDA ends up funded because it's nothing more than a rubber stamp for Big Pharma. Ditto for USDA as a rubber stamp for Bog Ag. Science means nothing.

I'm far less optimistic than you about rejiggering, and certainly not until the next census. The Republithugs have done a great job of taking over State offices and gerrymandering districts to elect the most conservative people possible.

Even the Northeast US isn't i mine from this nonsense. The teabagger LePage was re-elected in ME, and his current pet project is trying to pass legislation taxing the holdings of Land Trusts. These conservatives don't want more taxes unless it somehow can be used to damage programs in which they don't believe.

It starts with repealing Citizens United, which will never happen with either party in power. It's all about lining their own pockets at the expense of the average citizen and the planet.