Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Black Like Me
This topic is about Black Like Me
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Griffin, John Howard - Black Like Me - Informal Buddy Read: Start 30 January 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31145 comments Mod
This thread is for the discussion of Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin

Book Synopsis:
In the Deep South of the 1950s, journalist John Howard Griffin decided to cross the color line. Using medication that darkened his skin to deep brown, he exchanged his privileged life as a Southern white man for the disenfranchised world of an unemployed black man. His audacious, still chillingly relevant eyewitness history is a work about race and humanity-that in this new millennium still has something important to say to every American.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Starting the book at midnight 1-30-15.

message 5: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments I've wanted to read this book for a while. Can I join in?

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I started earlier today but didn't get far into it. I'm not sure what I think of it besides sadness. :(

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Joi wrote: "I've wanted to read this book for a while. Can I join in?"

Yes, of course. :)

message 8: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments I just left the library ... I'll go back and get it in the morning.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "I've wanted to read this book for a while. Can I join in?"

Yes you can, the more the merrier. Are you are on a Tower Team and if so which one?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

October 28, 1959

(view spoiler)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "I started earlier today but didn't get far into it. I'm not sure what I think of it besides sadness. :("

(view spoiler)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Marguerite wrote: "October 28, 1959

[spoilers removed]"

I really thought that was a brave thing to do.

message 13: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments Marguerite wrote: "Joi wrote: "I've wanted to read this book for a while. Can I join in?"

Yes you can, the more the merrier. Are you are on a Tower Team and if so which one?"

Balefire Dragon

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

October 29, 1959

(view spoiler)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "Marguerite wrote: "Joi wrote: "I've wanted to read this book for a while. Can I join in?"

Yes you can, the more the merrier. Are you are on a Tower Team and if so which one?"

Balefire Dragon"

Great, I believe you reading the BUddy Read with us will make this a Buddy Read for the Tower Challenge.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Marguerite wrote: "October 28, 1959

[spoilers removed]"

I really thought that was a brave thing to do."

(view spoiler)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

October 30, 1959

(view spoiler)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

November 1, 1959, New Orleans Louisiana

(view spoiler)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

November 2, 1959

(view spoiler)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

November 6

(view spoiler)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

November 7

(view spoiler)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Marguerite wrote: "October 30, 1959

[spoilers removed]"

I guess it was better to be honest about what he is to expect instead of sugar coating it.

message 23: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Jan 30, 2015 06:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Marguerite wrote: "November 1, 1959, New Orleans Louisiana

[spoilers removed]"

The support was really nice but I laughed when his friend (view spoiler)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I'm currently finishing chapter 10 and as of current I really pissed at a few things like (view spoiler) When John decides to leave New Orleans to go to Mississippi both Sterling and Joe told him not to because its worse there than it is here but John goes anyway and it is not good. I can see why Joe left. They are horrible people there but he didn't find a couple to help him even though John didn't want to get them in trouble. I thought that was a kind thing to do for someone who not only was a Negro but a stranger too.(view spoiler)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Marguerite wrote: "October 30, 1959

[spoilers removed]"

I guess it was better to be honest about what he is to expect instead of sugar coating it."

I have a feeling you have already seen that everything John already knew and was told was just a tip of the iceberg (so to speak) as in it goes way beyond that.

message 26: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments I'm about to start right now.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Joi wrote: "I'm about to start right now."

Awesome!! I can't wait to see what you think.

message 28: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments October 28, 1959

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments November 6
(view spoiler)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

November 8

(view spoiler)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "I'm about to start right now."

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "October 28, 1959

[spoilers removed]"

It isn't really down playing, I feel it is more that people are afraid to actually understand. It is kind of like if you ignore it or look the other way it will go away, will disappear.

message 33: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments Marguerite wrote: "Joi wrote: "October 28, 1959

[spoilers removed]"

It isn't really down playing, I feel it is more that people are afraid to actually understand. It is kind of like if you ignore it or look the oth..."

I kind of feel that it's what John Griffin said, nobody can know unless they lived it. No matter how many times you hear about it, read about it, watch movies about it...you can't really KNOW what it is like unless you've been faced with it yourself.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "November 6
..."equally astonished that Negroes would advance it, for in effect it placed the dark Negro in an inferior position and fed the racist idea of judging a man by his color." I still see t..."

It isn't so much as what whites think/believe but what the blacks feel about their own people. A lot of it has been passed down from generation to generation as well. No I have not seen the documentary.

message 35: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Jan 30, 2015 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I was in tears when (view spoiler)

message 36: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments I didn't say that whites felt like that.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Joi wrote: "Marguerite wrote: "Joi wrote: "October 28, 1959

[spoilers removed]"

It isn't really down playing, I feel it is more that people are afraid to actually understand. It is kind of like if you ignore..."

I agree. I don't think people REALLY know what its like unless they are in their shows.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments No, I haven't seen the documentary, Joi.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Marguerite wrote: "Joi wrote: "November 6
..."equally astonished that Negroes would advance it, for in effect it placed the dark Negro in an inferior position and fed the racist idea of judging a man by his color." I..."

I have to agree. I've grew up with friends that spoke the same way and I always told them how mean and untrue they were. Well that was always a big argument that never got settled.

message 40: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Marguerite wrote: "Joi wrote: "November 6
..."equally astonished that Negroes would advance it, for in effect it placed the dark Negro in an inferior position and fed the racist idea of judging a m..."

Yes, some black people speak like that. But we aren't able to speak on ALL black people. Just like we can't say that all white people don't

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

November 10 - 12

(view spoiler)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "Marguerite wrote: "Joi wrote: "October 28, 1959

[spoilers removed]"

It isn't really down playing, I feel it is more that people are afraid to actually understand. It is kind of like if you ignore..."

In 1982, 1983 I lived in the South for 2 years and even though this was the 1980's segregation was still happening at that time where I lived. It was very eye opening to find it still happening. I will go as far as saying I felt like Alice that had gone down the rabbit hole and couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "I didn't say that whites felt like that."

I said it and yes I meant it.smile

Sarah | 3273 comments It is in on my Overdrive - this looks very interesting so I may just have to join in.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Marguerite wrote: "Joi wrote: "November 6
..."equally astonished that Negroes would advance it, for in effect it placed the dark Negro in an inferior ..."

The way my parents brought me and my two younger siblings up was this --- There are good and bad in every race and yes that includes whites

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Dec.9th - Aug.
(view spoiler)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Joi wrote: "☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Marguerite wrote: "Joi wrote: "November 6
..."equally astonished that Negroes would advance it, for in effect it placed the dark Negro in an inferior ..."

That's so true

message 48: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Jan 30, 2015 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Epilogue 1976 (view spoiler)
I tried not speed through this book but I couldn't help but wanted to know what happened next. I really enjoyed this book and please keep posting because this way I can get the notifications and I can see your thoughts.
See you tomorrow, I need some sleep :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "It is in on my Overdrive - this looks very interesting so I may just have to join in."

You are very welcome to read the book and join us in our discussions. The book is very thought provoking that is for sure.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Sarah wrote: "It is in on my Overdrive - this looks very interesting so I may just have to join in."

Please do. I would love to read your thoughts on it.

« previous 1 3