Effective Altruists discussion

How to Win Friends and Influence People
How to Win Friends Discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new) - rated it 1 star

Matt | 18 comments Mod
This is the general thread for this month's book: How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

For those who were as confused as I was: Dale Carnegie is unrelated to Andrew Carnegie, the industrialist. Although the former did change the spelling of his name to match that of the latter. A good marketing move.

Enjoy the reading!

Kyle Scott (kdbscott) | 27 comments Mod
Thanks Matt!

I'm a few chapters into the book, and I'm struck by how categorically Carnegie rejects the idea of criticism as a useful tool.

He even goes so far as to give an example of a wife asking a husband for constructive criticism (how she can be a better wife). The husband 'wisely' tells her that she is perfect in his eyes.

What do others think? If I were defending Carnegie, I would say that he is rejecting criticism but endorsing positive reinforcement as a medium to achieve the same sort of behavior changes. However, I'm not sure about that defense.

I'm enjoying this as an audio book. Listening in small chunks and then practicing the principles over a few days is a great way to get hands-on experience with what the book is talking about. It's also a bit repetitive, so it's not too important to catch every sentence (also good for an audio book).

message 4: by Matt (last edited Feb 02, 2015 06:21AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Matt | 18 comments Mod
Just got started on this book. So far the author is really full of himself! Just the subtitle is preposterous: "The only book you need to lead you to success". At the very least, it's entertaining :)

I've been trying to use the Carnegie's techniques on his own book - i.e. to appreciate what value there may be :)

But yeah. It's hard to get past his more categorical statements.