Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

II. Publishing & Marketing Tips > help redarding kindle direct publishing

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pratik (new)

Pratik Deshpande | 31 comments Hello Everyone :)

I am planning to self publish my book with Kindle Direct Publishing.

If you guys share your experience as to how to market the book, what is the response that you received, how are the sales worldwide and other experiences regarding scope of kindle direct publishing.

Thanks in advance :)

message 2: by James (new)

James Erith (jameserith) | 10 comments Hi Patrik,
I'd suggest having a good read of David Gaughran's book, Let's Get Digital on self pubbing. Very useful take on what to do and what to expect.
Hope that helps
James

message 3: by Pratik (new)

Pratik Deshpande | 31 comments James wrote: "Hi Patrik,
I'd suggest having a good read of David Gaughran's book, Let's Get Digital on self pubbing. Very useful take on what to do and what to expect.
Hope that helps
James"

thanks james :) started reading it right away:)

message 4: by C. (new)

C. Cales (scarybob) | 46 comments Hi Pratik, (is that actually the spelling of your name or did you accidentally jumble the letters)

The very first step may be one you've already taken. If not you must do it. Seek out a professional editor. Not all of them have a rate of a nickel a word or something equally ridiculous. It is virtually impossible for a writer to find all mistakes and places where the story slows down.
I just went through this with a second edition and it is completely mind boggling to find obvious mistakes that your mind skips over.

ScaryBob

message 5: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 443 comments I believe in India the pratik is an emblem

message 6: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Fry | 349 comments C. wrote: "Hi Pratik, (is that actually the spelling of your name or did you accidentally jumble the letters)"

Pratik is a Hindi name.

message 7: by Noorilhuda (new)

Noorilhuda | 87 comments @Pratik best of luck with the book launch. I just wrote about my experience with the free-book promotion and kindle countdown deal in KDP - basically as a self-published author your work is cut out for you big time!

Here's the link:
'Lessons from the two-day free-book and week-long $0.99 kindle countdown deal':
https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...

message 8: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 327 comments C. wrote: "Hi Pratik, (is that actually the spelling of your name or did you accidentally jumble the letters)

The very first step may be one you've already taken. If not you must do it. Seek out a profession..."

Yes. Make sure your copy is "press-ready". Edited, formatted, proof-read, and containing front matter.

message 9: by Pratik (new)

Pratik Deshpande | 31 comments C. wrote: "Hi Pratik, (is that actually the spelling of your name or did you accidentally jumble the letters)

The very first step may be one you've already taken. If not you must do it. Seek out a profession..."

hehe :) its pratik.. hindi name :) yes, i have a friend of mine, who is going to edit it for me and he is a high critic guy.

message 10: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 443 comments Pratik wrote: "hehe :) its pratik.. hindi name :)..."

It's amazingly predictable how often native English speakers try to Anglicize names that aren't Anglo. Anglo-centric people mangle my daughter's names trying to twist them to their prejudice: "You really mean ****** don't you?"

It may be easier if you put P. Deshpande down as author as there are people who will see Pratik as a misspelling of Patrick who will compound their error by thinking you can't write English very well.

message 11: by Pratik (last edited Jan 23, 2015 07:15AM) (new)

Pratik Deshpande | 31 comments Actually my story is based in india, but it revolves around a young man who decides to look after a little girl who he finds sleeping under a tea vendors stall.

Later he finds out that the girl is suffering from cancer and how the stranger decides to take care of her.

Although its the indian touch here, but there are many people across the globe who sacrifice a lot for others, so i want to spread this small awareness and the fact that humanity still exists, even in this digital world, there are people who care.

Hence, i want to launch it world wide. This issue about cancer is very close to my heart and hence i want to spread my thoughts to every corner possible.

And so the hurry to self publish. :)

message 12: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 443 comments Pratik wrote: "Actually my story is based in india, but it revolves around a young man who decides to look after a little girl who he finds sleeping under a tea vendors stall.

Later he finds out that the girl i..."

Sounds like a good story. I knew someone with Cystic Fibrosis, know someone with Down's, and it's good for people to see stories showing compassion for those who often receive more scorn than kindness.

message 13: by Pratik (new)

Pratik Deshpande | 31 comments R.F.G. wrote: "Pratik wrote: "hehe :) its pratik.. hindi name :)..."

It's amazingly predictable how often native English speakers try to Anglicize names that aren't Anglo. Anglo-centric people mangle my daughte..."

Thanks :) i never gave it a thought, as pratik is very common here in india, but in other countries it might get mixed with patrick :)

Yes, this story came instantly in my mind and i took it up without a second thought.

and i hope to encourage people to help those who really need some, who knows, sacrificing one can of beer might bring a smile on an innocent's lips.

some like this is is what i want to spread :)

message 14: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 443 comments Pratik wrote: "Thanks :) i never gave it a thought, as pratik is very common here in india, but in other countries it might get mixed with patrick :)

Yes, this story came instantly in my mind and i took it up without a second thought.

and i hope to encourage people to help those who really need some, who knows, sacrificing one can of beer might bring a smile on an innocent's lips.

some like this is is what i want to spread :) ..."

There are enough people in the US and elsewhere who take it for granted that people are poor, have a genetic illness, or cancer because they did something to deserve it, even when they didn't.

You're doing a good thing.

message 15: by Pratik (new)

Pratik Deshpande | 31 comments hey guys, some more advice needed here.

during publishing my novel with KDP, what about the copyrights?

I mean i want to publish the book world wide, so what about world wide copyrights?

How to get those world wide copyrights registered?

message 16: by Noorilhuda (new)

Noorilhuda | 87 comments Pratik, read Amazon's KDP page first. It has all the info. You should probably familiarize yourself with basic self-pub / marketing stuff through some good book - like James suggested above - for e.g. APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur. How to Publish a Book - google it and you'll find the 1st edition of the whole book on net (which is ironical because that is an infringement of copyrights right there!). Bottom line, read KDP page first.

message 17: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 327 comments Also you own the copyright, whether you register it or not, as long as it is your original work (which I'm assuming it is).

message 18: by Susanne (new)

Susanne McCarthy | 25 comments As D.C. says, you automatically own the copyright, worldwide - you don't have to register it in any way. Unfortunately, there are pirates out there who may try to steal or plagiarise your work, but this is a fairly small risk, and one we all take.

Although you own the copyright, it is usual to put a short piece in the front of your book - something along the lines of:

Text Copyright © 2015 *your name
All Rights Reserved

You can also add a short disclaimer (if it is fiction)

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

message 19: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 443 comments You have a basic copyright once your work is in its final form -- edits changing less than 20% of the original manuscript usually don't qualify as a new copyright unless you've substantially added or removed material.

If you follow the guidelines for registering your copyright in India, it will be considered a worldwide recognition of your copyright in every country except the PRC (and maybe the DPRK). The PRC doesn't tend to worry itself about enforcement of foreign copyrights.

Copyright registration is of use if you ever need to take someone to court for piracy or plagiarism.

message 20: by Pratik (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:43PM) (new)

Pratik Deshpande | 31 comments Well, thank you so much.. its just took away the burden.. say about 50% of it.. the hard work every author puts it and the excitement to put it out is now on its tip.

a couple of more days left and i am ready with it.

as i had said earlier, a friend of mine is ready to edit. But being the book close to my heart. I dont want to take any chance...

Can you guys recommend some editing services?? Because i dont want to miss any of your advice... you all have been simply very patient and genuine in providing me all the necessary help.. so i cannot ignore your advice out of respect, as i somewhere feel it would insult you all..

being an indian writer my style is highly local... but as far as the global readability and acceptance is concerned i think it would be wise enough to get a professional look from an expert. :)