The Sword and Laser discussion

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Two hours ago I was sleepy.

Then Aliens came on.

Now I'm running around the room screaming, "You want some of this? How about you?! Come on!"

Now hush. Ripley just found Newt. Dis gettin GOOD.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 96 comments Haha, one of the few examples of sequels that are just as good or better than the original. Terminator 2 is the only other one which springs to mind. I can't remember the coward soldier's name who is like "no way, man, I'm not going outside. Let her go, yeah, she can go." So funny!

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Hudson.

Ripley: How long after we're declared overdue can we expect a rescue?

Hicks: Seventeen days.

Hudson: SEVENTEEN DAYS?! Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!

Ripley: Hudson! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training. Right?

Newt salutes Hudson.

Hudson: Why don't you put her in charge?!

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 96 comments Hahaha, that's the one! I was a bit off but I can clearly remember Hudson's voice and my friends and I laughing our asses off watching it.

At work, but all I want to do is watch Aliens now.

message 5: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3601 comments Mod
Great movie. I might have to drag out my copy.

As far as the Alien franchise, after this it was "Game Over Man, Game Over" ;-)

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6889 comments Mod
I only just watched this for the first time last year. I'm not a big fan of horror, so I was never that inclined to give it a go.

I watched the first movie in like 2013. I definitely agree the sequel was better. It felt more sci-fi too.

Maybe I'll rewatch it some day.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark | 64 comments I saw it in the theatre in its original release and it is still one of the most powerful movie experiences I've ever had. I still vividly remember going with not much expectation but came out sweaty and weak in the knees ... I couldn't decide if I wanted the movie to keep going or end 'cause I wasn't sure how much more of it I could take! ;-) .

message 8: by David (new)

David Richards (dgr2) | 30 comments Yes, this is also my favorite and I agree that it is the best of the Alien movies. It's the only one I read the book version for as well. It was after that I saw the extended version with the automatic guns. I also think Bill Paxton (Hudson) is a very under-rated actor.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I saw this opening day in '86 and I've seen it at least 25 times since then.

For nearly 30 years this movie has influenced pop culture from movies to TV to video games. And possibly one of the most-quoted movies ever. "Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?"

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments It is such a great movie and so smart to do a war movie as a sequel to a horror movie.

In college, our computers' shutdown sounds were switched to "Game over Man, game over"

message 11: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments Now those are the guys that should have been sent to Rakhat!

message 12: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 584 comments Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

message 13: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!"

Hudson was such a racist asshat. He never stopped to consider the Xenomorphs' point of view. They defend themselves from an invasion of their planet, and he wants to genocide the whole race.

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 584 comments Nuke'm from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

message 15: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Sean wrote: "Hudson was such a racist asshat. He never stopped to consider the Xenomorphs' point of view. They defend themselves from an invasion of their planet, and he wants to genocide the whole race."

Male WY exec: "Is there anything there?"
Female WY exec: "Nothing. It's a rock. No indigenous life."
Ripley: "Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? Ma'am, I already told you it wasn't from there."

message 16: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3601 comments Mod
Sean wrote: "Hudson was such a racist asshat. He never stopped to consider the Xenomorphs' point of view. They defend themselves from an invasion of their planet, and he wants to genocide the whole race."

Right they are such cute, peaceful and loveable animals ;-)

Technically he's a xenophobe and wants to commit xenocide.
Genocide is too politically weighty a term for bug squashing.

When you buy a piece of land, you try and clear out all the bugs, critters and vermin. They are only trying to defend their territory too.

message 17: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments Has anyone read the A.E. Van Vogt story that inspired Alien (or that Cameron ripped off, depending on who you ask)?

message 18: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Has anyone read the A.E. Van Vogt story that inspired Alien (or that Cameron ripped off, depending on who you ask)?"

Yes. It's said to be the inspiration for Alien (and Dark Star before it), which is Dan O'Bannon, not James Cameron. It is quite similar, but primarily in setting, which is a haunted house in space.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments So, did anyone hear about Neil Blomkamp's (District 9, Elysium) plan to direct a new Alien movie? He wants it to star Sigourney Weaver and it might be a direct sequel to Aliens (!) disregarding Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection. What do you think about that?

http://www.themarysue.com/neill-blomk...

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 96 comments I read this yesterday and I think it could be a great film. I actually really enjoyed Elysium and of course District 9 was a great film too! Seems to be so many sequels, reboots and continuation of franchises in Hollywood though. I read they may film another Indiana Jones but with Chris Pratt as Indy 8 which could be good), and I love Indiana Jones, but originality can't be that hard for Hollywood writers to come up with.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Michael wrote: "I read this yesterday and I think it could be a great film. I actually really enjoyed Elysium and of course District 9 was a great film too! Seems to be so many sequels, reboots and continuation ..."

For the writers no, for the studio execs who need to finance all of it and essentially decide which scripts get made into films it's another story.

message 22: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I don't like Blomkamp's movies. Like, at all. He's not Michael Bay bad (few people are), but I don't see how this can be any better than any of the other post-Aliens movies.

Also, he clarified that he isn't undoing Alien 3 or A:R, but I don't know how his concept art could possibly fit in with those movies.

http://www.gamesradar.com/neill-blomk...

The leaked designs really looked like he was just riffing on William Gibson's crazy-stupid version of the story, which honestly made less sense than what we ended up with.

message 23: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments Personally, I liked District 9. Even if you think Blomkamp is a good director, however, that's not enough to be real hopeful for the movie. Fincher is a great director and I hated Alien 3. Having Ridley Scot and James Cameron as the first two directors made the movies look easier to make than they are.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments I loved District 9 and found Elysium entertaining though flawed.

The important thing to me is that Blomkamp's movie so far have been fresh and different, while both Alien 3 and Ressurection were really tired variations of the earlier 2 films. I can see him do something good with it.

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Some updates and clarification on the new Alien film from a red carpet interview.

And apparently the actor playing Hicks in Aliens said he's in the film.

http://www.themarysue.com/alien-5-upd...

message 26: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2294 comments I still think Bill Paxton should be contractually required to say, "Game over, man!" at least once in every movie he's in.