Master Koda Select Publishing discussion

Book Club > Excerpts

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DL (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:51PM) (new)

DL (dlgardner) | 47 comments Mod
How about excerpts of your books? Post an excerpt (no more than 300 words please) of some exciting or passionate moment in your story and make sure you reference the book title!

message 2: by Lauri (new)

Lauri | 5 comments Here is an excerpt from my coming-of-age YA novel, A Life Interrupted:

Walking the beach back from an hour's reading at the pavilion, I stumbled upon a strange sight.

There was a pelican flopping around in the sand, his wings all awkward. As I got closer, I realized that he was tangled in fishing line and his flopping around was an effort to break himself free. Unfortunately, the struggling and flailing only managed to entangle him further.

It was a horrible, heartbreaking sight to see an animal struggling so, and I scanned the beach to see if anyone else was around to help me try to save the bird. There was an older man fishing a few hundred feet away and I briefly wondered if he was the source of the fishing line as I darted towards him.

"Are you okay?" the man asked as I sprinted toward him, my arms flailing in panic. He placed his fishing pole in a plastic holder stuck into the sand as I tried to regain my breath. Running was so not my thing.

"Sorry to bother you," I wheezed. "There's a pelican struggling over there. He's all tangled up in fishing line and I was wondering if you could help me." Pointing to the still flailing pelican, I stared at the man, willing him to be a Good Samaritan.

Nodding, he reached down into his tackle box and brought out one of those utility tools with a million things on it. As an afterthought, the man grabbed the towel hanging off the back of his beach chair. "Lead the way, little lady."

Smiling at the helpful stranger, I eagerly led the expedition to save the pelican. In its flailing, it had moved a little closer to us. The bird stopped moving and eyed us warily as we approached with slow, steady movements.

message 3: by DL (new)

Oh I hope you saved him! Nice excerpt Lauri!

message 4: by Lauri (new)

Lauri | 5 comments Thank you, Dianne! Oh yes, he made a full recovery!

message 5: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Burns | 8 comments Mod
Here's an excerpt from book 1, Fateful Night, of the What She Knew Trilogy:

Book Excerpt
With an almighty kick the door crashed open and Peter ran into the bedroom. “Shit! Marilyn!”
Kneeling beside the bed the stench of vomit assailed his nostrils even before he saw it, staining the sheets and pillow around the woman.
“Marilyn, wake up.” He shook her hard enough to force her to stir.
Sighing in relief, he scooped her up, carried her across the room, and out of the house unconscious in his arms. Pushing her into the backseat of his sedan, Peter jumped in and sped away.
“Hang in there, Marilyn. We’re almost there. Don’t die now.”

message 6: by DL (new)

Oh!!! That is a cliff hanger Tamy!

message 7: by Lauri (new)

Lauri | 5 comments Love it, Tamy! I'm about half way through Fateful Night and really enjoying it.

message 8: by T.L. (new)

Thank you both! I'm excited you are reading it Lauri. I can't wait to hear what you thought.

message 9: by Debra (new)

Debra (debraswelch) | 2 comments From "Cedar Woman"

Mary leaned toward the smoke and prayed fervently for the life of her husband. In her left hand, the one closest to her heart, she held the eagle feather her mother had saved for her.
“Your prayer feather,” her mother had advised.
Surprisingly, her mind was blank except for the vision of a blue heron against a dark, turbulent sky.
Mary stared into the pit where the super-heated rocks seemed to pulse. Beating, beating, like a human heart, the stones began to glow with a new intensity. A mist began to form in the lodge and the other three participants began to fade. Slowly, slowly, the intensity of the heat built, and the pulsations of the rocks increased.
“Come, One Feather,” a trumpet-like voice intoned.
Mary raised her eyes to the roof of the sweat lodge. There, floating above her was Zitka Mine. (Ahee-tdkah min-eh – Also called Hokagica To – Hoh-kha – (glottal G) – ee chi-ah Td-oh – the Water Bird or Blue Heron. A healer who also symbolizes self-reflection)
“Follow,” he commanded, and Mary felt herself rise through the roof of the lodge and out into the cool air of the night.
“Where are we going?” she queried. “To the edge of Wanagi Canku.” (Wah-nah-ghee Chan-koo – the place five steps away from the edge of the world. On the fourth step a spirit steps into the spirit world.)
“Wait!” Mary turned in answer to a pleading voice. Lena was following her, soaring toward her, one small arm outstretched. Zitka Mine gave his silent assent, and the three of them flew until they arrived at the fifth step from the edge of the world.
“There,” Zitka Mine said, “is Spotted Eagle.” Mary turned slowly and beheld a flickering light, not unlike a small star.
“Take him,” Zitka Mine commanded. One Feather drifted to the flickering light of her husband’s soul, and cupping it in her left hand, lovingly held it to her breast.
“One Feather,” Zitka Mine intoned, “You are entrusted with the spirit of Spotted Eagle for the passing of four seasons. You will place it in a medicine bundle and guard the spirit within it. Cedar Woman,” Zitka Mine instructed, turning toward the small soul drifting silently behind her mother, “must make the bundle.”
Soaring upward, Zitka Mine gave his final instruction.
“Spotted Eagle must dwell within silence. He will remain silent for the total of four seasons. He will awaken, and he will teach.”
There was the loud whoosh of sound, as if mighty wings were pulling the evening air beneath them to mount to the highest parts of the heavens. Then, silence.

message 10: by DL (new)

Debra wrote: "From "Cedar Woman"

Mary leaned toward the smoke and prayed fervently for the life of her husband. In her left hand, the one closest to her heart, she held the eagle feather her mother had saved fo..."

Intriguing Debra! I know you were raised by Lakota. Tell us a little about that.

message 11: by Jerrid (new)

Jerrid Edgington | 3 comments An excerpt from Resuscitation, book 2 in the Reaper Series.

Chapter One

James compressed the pregnant woman’s chest who was splayed on the warm asphalt of the two-lane highway while Jacob called for a helicopter.
The volunteer fire fighters that freed her from the car stood around watching. Jacob was thankful for them, but he was agitated they weren’t more aggressive in offering assistance. It was a matter of minutes before the baby the woman was carrying would also die.
They were on a highway in the middle of the woods. The road wasn’t well-travelled. The sun peeked through the plush green trees that lined the curvy road, casting various shaped shadows on the asphalt.
Jacob glanced at the other vehicle. A man’s body slumped over the steering wheel with the windshield caved in and the glass pierced into his skull. The steering wheel buckled from the impact of his body being flung into it—he hadn’t been wearing a seat belt.
Jacob grabbed his cell phone. He couldn’t control his trembling fingers as he tried to push the numbers on the keypad. Taking a deep breath, he tried to control his anxiety. Slowly he exhaled through pursed lips and dialed the emergency room at Magic County Hospital. After several rings, a woman answered the phone.
“ER,” she said abruptly.
“This is Jacob, on Medic-57. I need to speak to the doctor, now!”

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra (debraswelch) | 2 comments Dianne wrote: "Debra wrote: "From "Cedar Woman"

Mary leaned toward the smoke and prayed fervently for the life of her husband. In her left hand, the one closest to her heart, she held the eagle feather her mothe..."

In "Cedar Woman" Peter Catcher, Mary's husband, is injured in a farming accident. Mary has Dean Countryman build a sweat lodge where she and Lena can pray to Creator for the life of husband and father.

message 13: by DL (new)

This is Altered, a dystopia novel about three teens who uncover a plot to control the populace through altering the nation's food.
Altered by Dianne Lynn Gardner

When Makia’s bags were filled he poured seed into Abree’s.

“Hurry, Makia. I’m getting a creepy feeling.”

“Shh.”

“Like I think I hear footsteps. Listen.”

Indeed the muted sound of boot heels on dirt came from the hallway. Makia and Abree ducked low in the shadows and against a table. Abree could see the crack of the entry, the gray uniformed figure approach, and the hand that touched the knob to close the door, and then hesitated.

“What do you see, soldier?” An accent. Abree held her breath. The ones with the accents were the worse.
Makia’s eyes were wide. He stooped, motionless.

“The seed room has been compromised, sir.” Officer Jenkins responded.

“So it has. Who keeps the key to this room?”

“I believe sir that the only key is kept in the commander’s office, sir.” Her voice was flat and complacent.

“That’s what I thought. Well, the evidence is mounting, isn’t it, Officer Jenkins?”

There was a pause in their conversation. Abree wondered why they weren’t entering the storeroom. Surely they suspected someone was in there. As much as she didn’t want to be caught, it seemed strange they would suspect a break in and not investigate. The reference to the commander sparked a new fear.

“What should we do, sir?”

The door creaked open wider and the sunburnt face of a well decorated officer peeked into the room.

“We will ask questions, Jenkins. We will ask many questions.” With that he stepped away, and the two left.

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Van domelen | 1 comments Love the Fateful Night! It is so well written and I am mesmerized! Have book 2. :)

message 15: by T.L. (new)

Sandy wrote: "Love the Fateful Night! It is so well written and I am mesmerized! Have book 2. :)"

Awesome! Thanks for sharing Sandy!!

message 16: by T.L. (new)

Dianne wrote: "This is Altered, a dystopia novel about three teens who uncover a plot to control the populace through altering the nation's food.
Altered by Dianne Lynn Gardner

When Makia’s bags were filled he pou..."

One of my all time favorite books Dianne!!

message 17: by Nese (new)

Nese Ellyson (neseellyson) | 5 comments I loved all the different story lines. What a talented group.

message 18: by DL (new)

Thank you Tamy!!!

message 19: by T.L. (new)

Dianne wrote: "Thank you Tamy!!!" You are so welcome :)