2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

. Week 10: Mystery or Thriller > Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (maricari90) | 14 comments For this week I'm planning on reading Gone Girl. I don't usually read mystery/thriller novels but I do like thriller movies, so hopefully that translates.

message 2: by Luisa (new)

Luisa (deborahluisa) Good good choice!
I just read it in the Week 3 challenge and it was awesome! (don't go to the topic, lots of spoilers).

I hope you enjoy it :)

message 3: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (maricari90) | 14 comments Luisa wrote: "Good good choice!
I just read it in the Week 3 challenge and it was awesome! (don't go to the topic, lots of spoilers).

I hope you enjoy it :)"

Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading it :)

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 12 comments I just finished reading gone girl earlier this week. The book was awesome, except i didn't feel completely satisfied with the ending. I am not going to spoil anything but i would be interested in hearing what you thought of the book after you are done reading it. I am currently reading dark places by Gillian Flynn since gone girl was so good. So far dark places is just as addictive! I will probably read sharp objects next! Lol.

message 5: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Solnick | 12 comments I choose Gone Girl to fit into this week as well, and I agree with what Amanda said. The book was pretty good and interesting, but I thought the ending was unsatisfying. I hope you enjoy it, though!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 12 comments I just completed Dark Places yesterday. I am using that book for the "friend recommendation week". I have to read and review books for one of my jobs, so I will not be able to follow the challenge completely.

Dark Places was much better than Gone Girl! I did feel like the story plot was more thorough and ended completely. Gillian revels only parts of the mystery at a time, so you get all the answers but you are hooked until the end.

I have started reading "Sharp Objects" to complete the "popular authors first book" task. So far, Sharp Objects has been fantastic too!!

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth_in_sanjose) I completely agree that Dark Places was much better than Gone Girl!

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth_in_sanjose) I completely agree that Dark Places was much better than Gone Girl!

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 12 comments I just finished Sharp Objects for my "authors first book" week of the challenge. (I am doing the weeks out of order).

I feel like Sharp Objects was the best Gillian Flynn book!

Does anyone know if/when she is coming out with another book?

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Mccune | 51 comments I am just waiting for a copy to become available at my local library. I am not a mystery/thriller person, but I am looking forward to this.

message 11: by Magdalene Anne (new)

Magdalene Anne (magza) Amanda wrote: "I just finished Sharp Objects for my "authors first book" week of the challenge. (I am doing the weeks out of order).

I feel like Sharp Objects was the best Gillian Flynn book!

Does anyone kno..."

After some google searching it appears she signed a 2 book deal with her publisher and one is supposed to be released this year (but I only saw that in one article from 2012). A AMA (ask me anything) she did on Reddit (again from 2012) revealed that she is working on another creepy adult book and a young adult book. A Dark Places film is coming out this year and she's writing for a tv series right now. Her official website doesn't have any info about upcoming books.

message 12: by Magdalene Anne (new)

Magdalene Anne (magza) I picked Gone Girl for this week as well! But I had the audiobook on hold from my library since like October 2014 and I finally got it at the end of January! Super creepy. I don't usually read thrillers because they scare the heck out of me but I'm glad I heard so many amazing things about Gone Girl that forced me to read it.

message 13: by Michelle (last edited Mar 10, 2015 01:05AM) (new)

Michelle Winchester Amanda wrote: "I just finished reading gone girl earlier this week. The book was awesome, except i didn't feel completely satisfied with the ending. I am not going to spoil anything but i would be interested ..."

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) I agree with you Jade, I really liked this book, but it did leave me with a bad taste in the mouth.

If thrillers with gross murders freak you out, Gone Girl is a good alternative.

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) yup, read it as well for Mystery/Thriller :) I didn't like it very much though...

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 70 comments Just started this. I have not read her other books or seen the movie so I'm excited to finally read it.

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 70 comments I just finished this. I enjoyed it but like others, was not satisfied with the ending. I keep heating/reading her other books ate better so I will give them a try.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 12 comments Veronica -

Her other books are much better. My favorite was Sharp Objects, but a lot of other people like Dark Places. I would definately recommend reading one of her other books.