OTAKU: Anime, Manga & Cosplay! discussion

Manga > Online or Book?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

Marie (naturechild02) | 287 comments Mod
Do you read your manga online or do you buy a physical copy? Why?

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Suggs | 3 comments Online, 'cause I'm poor.

message 3: by Marie, otakuqueen (last edited Jan 23, 2015 12:56AM) (new)

I read half of Fruits Basket online before it was available in America. Someone translated it (not very well) and I was thankful. I just had to know what happened next!

Of course, now I own them all. It's the only completed manga series I own.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess I read online. Can't afford buying physical copies all the time.

message 5: by Willow (new)

Willow (wigglewigglewiggle) | 4 comments 1/2 online 1/2 physical

message 6: by Kageyama (last edited Mar 04, 2015 04:57PM) (new)

Kageyama Tobio (kageyamatobio) | 13 comments Online. It's an inexpensive way to enjoy manga.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (sfladreaming) | 14 comments I love the physical books. I have been lucky enough to get gift cards & have coupons to buy what I have so far. Now that they are gone though I will be checking them out online! :)

message 8: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

I love physical books too so I have to save my money to purchase them. I'd really love to finish my Kaichou wo Maid Sama collection and Vampire Hunter D manga.

message 9: by Kageyama (new)

Kageyama Tobio (kageyamatobio) | 13 comments I also like online because I like to see other people's comments; I use mangahere and it allows a function called "tsukommis" which basically allows you to type a short comment to place on the page and it's always nice/funny to see other people's intake

message 10: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

I'll have to go back to online to finish Maid-Sama since they stopped printing the English adaptation. Maybe after that, I'll get back to reading more online again.

message 11: by Kageyama (new)

Kageyama Tobio (kageyamatobio) | 13 comments I also like online better because they update by chapter rather than volume and it's more reliable.

message 12: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

That's true. I forgot about that.

message 13: by LunaCSunshine (last edited May 19, 2016 06:32PM) (new)

LunaCSunshine I started my hobby (when I was fourteen) by purchasing manga from local bookstores and comic book stores…I loved having the hardback copies lining my bookshelf and felt a sense of completion when I finally got them all! Still do.

In more recent times, I've started reading more online but I still would rather have the physical copy if it's a series I really really love and plan on returning to.

message 14: by Nae (new)

Nae (cakerolls) | 7 comments I love both. They have their own good points. Online, well, cuz they're cheap ofc. And physical because sometimes I need the 'flipping-pages' kind of feeling

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 7 comments Books, i like to have complete series, I tend to start daydreaming if i stare at them xD

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 59 comments Online because I'll be broke if I started collecting them. Although I buy some "harder to find" ones like Daigo Umehara's Fighting Gamers manga.

And oh, library.

message 17: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

I've gotten back into reading manga online again! Though I still prefer physical books, there is only so much available in English, so I love finding a new series to read online.
The best of both worlds, right here!