OTAKU: Anime, Manga & Cosplay! discussion

Cosplay > Make or Buy?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

Marie (naturechild02) | 287 comments Mod
Did you make your own cosplay costume or did you buy it?
Why?

message 2: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

Sewing some costumes for Animazement in May. I'll try to post pics or links to pics once they are completed.
They're gonna be awesomesauce!

message 3: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

Man, making those costumes was exhausting but it was so worth it when everyone wanted the kids' pictures at the con!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 59 comments LOL I buy. I'm not that crafty. XD

message 5: by LunaCSunshine (new)

LunaCSunshine I always make my cosplays; I'm far too tiny to be able to fit into most standard sizes so this is my only option, which I'm alright with because I'm pretty creative and enjoy making stuff from scratch anyway.

I learned how to sew and embroider as a freshman in high school, so luckily, I can find all sorts of uses for random things and I've also learned quite a bit from my school's official cosplay club too.

Honestly, when I see the quality of a lot of pre-purchased cosplays out there, I'm actually glad that I'm not able to take the easy way out because I usually end up with a much higher quality, better fitting costume for me than if I were to purchase it outright. I'm a massive perfectionist so that means a lot to me personally.

But if anyone chooses to buy over making, especially for their first cosplay, then why not? As long as they aren't entering any contests or anything with it, more people are getting into cosplay in the way they feel most comfortable, which I consider a good thing!

I love cosplay.

message 6: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

LunaCSunshine wrote: "I always make my cosplays; I'm far too tiny to be able to fit into most standard sizes so this is my only option, which I'm alright with because I'm pretty creative and enjoy making stuff from scra..."

I agree with you on the quality of handmade. Buying costumes is pretty expensive. My friend would always buy her costumes, then have to get them refitted or inaccuracies fixed. (She was a stickler for that.)
I don't mind deviating from the original but I have the opposite problem, I'm a huge size so things don't fit me quite right either.
But, to each his own, I won't knock people who buy.
Personally, I would just rather make what I can, if I can. I've made mine and my 3 kids' Halloween costumes for the last 3 years and we looked awesome!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 59 comments Like I mentioned before, I purchase mine but have it altered afterwards. I'm too short for anything ready-made.

message 8: by LunaCSunshine (new)

LunaCSunshine Yeah, I really think there's a certain level of creativity in taking a cosplay and altering it… it's like seeing the potential in something and trying to enhance it, you know?

I've also taken regular clothes and altered those, as well! Save money, time, and effort. For the Sora cosplay for instance, I just repurposed a pair of black shorts and added yellow straps, buckles, etc and the like. It's a great time-saver AND I knew the shorts already fit me!

message 9: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

LunaCSunshine wrote: "Yeah, I really think there's a certain level of creativity in taking a cosplay and altering it… it's like seeing the potential in something and trying to enhance it, you know?

I've also taken reg..."

I tend to repurpose regular clothes sometimes too. It's great when you have time constraints or making from scratch is too expensive.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Clark Unfortunately I have little time to do either... I'm not even sure where I would find the cosplays I want... If I had patterns, I could make them haha

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 59 comments The cosplays that I'm eyeing lately are too intricate for me lol. School uniforms are fine. But like.... Elize Lutus's costume in Tales of Xillia 1 is just too much. I do have a Teepo plushie though.