Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > Play Favorites

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Ann Andrews (annliviandrews) | 687 comments Mod
Favorite character you've created. . .GO!

Mine is, by far, Charlie from Hollow Towns. I know it's not released yet, but he has the most personality and I relate the most to him.

Second would be the combination of Jack and Jesse in Rehab for Superheroes. They're just so much fun to play around with!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael P. Dunn (wordboy1) | 86 comments I'd have to say my favorite character is Caralynn Adrasteia, the main character of On A Cold Wind. She's an artificially created human living in the late twenty-second century, working as a Special Agent with government security. Of all my current batch of characters, she has a lot of my issues. (For example,she's confident in her abilities but is filled with self-doubt.) She's the one character whose future I have the most planned out.

Next would have to be Brynna Alexander, the main character of an work in progress titled Under the Dark of the Moon. Brynna is unique among all my characters; she's a vampire. I've never written about vampires before, and I'm liking the way Brynna is developing.

message 3: by G.G. (last edited Jan 22, 2015 11:11PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments My favorite character is certainly Alex, the protagonist from the series The Legacy. He's a character with a mind of his own. When I was writing his story, it felt as if he was in control and not me. (He's an alien who crashed on Earth.)

Next would be Destiny, the antagonist from the sequel The Legacy: Destiny. She knows what she wants, and she's not afraid to do what it takes to get it.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Smith (kimsmithauthor) | 1 comments The main character of my soon-to-be released book, Deadly Array, is named Shannon Wallace. Shannon is not really a crazy person. She is being made insane by a snide killer who has something of hers. Something very personal. If she doesn't get it back, the world as she knows it will end. Think Paris Hilton videos. This wild romp mystery, and all her escapades made me adore this character.

I loved writing this book and the character of Shannon.

message 5: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Alex is a great character!!

G.G. wrote: "My favorite character is certainly Alex, the protagonist from the series The Legacy. He's a character with a mind of his own. When I was writing his story, it felt as if he was in control and not m..."

message 6: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
One I created? Well, I'd have to go with Sanche, an elder elf who's lived through two devastating wars. He's seen so much death and had so much loss in his thousand years of living, that by the end of my books, he just wants it to end. He was a fun character to write.

message 7: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Ann wrote: "Alex is a great character!!

G.G. wrote: "My favorite character is certainly Alex, the protagonist from the series The Legacy. He's a character with a mind of his own. When I was writing his story,..."

Ahh Thank you Ann! <3

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Howarth I have to pick only one? That's like having to pick a favourite child! Hmmm... My favourite would have to be "Jayce." but he is in the third installment of the book series I only just released the first of, so he won't be met by others anytime soon.
Everyone who has read "The Institute" and I ask them who theirs is, usually say Tate, the protagonists best friend. But oooooh I can't decide. LOL. *Puts topic in the too hard basket*

message 9: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

It is a difficult question! Theoretically we should love every character we write, right?

Kayla wrote: "I have to pick only one? That's like having to pick a favourite child! Hmmm... My favourite would have to be "Jayce." but he is in the third installment of the book series I only just released the ..."

message 10: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Well...unless you write them to be hated. Ann wrote: "It is a difficult question! Theoretically we should love every character we write, right?

Kayla wrote: "I have to pick only one? That's like having to pick a favourite child! Hmmm... My favourite..."

message 11: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Oh, but sometimes the evil ones are the best!! I started out writing Jesse in Rehab for Superheroes to be evil, but he evolved and he's now one of my favorites!

Joseph wrote: "Well...unless you write them to be hated. Ann wrote: "It is a difficult question! Theoretically we should love every character we write, right?

Kayla wrote: "I have to pick only one? That's like ..."

message 12: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

That's a very good point....

message 13: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Howarth I wrote one of my characters to be the good guy. He was probably my favourite character. Then I found out he was evil. I hate when that happens. Lol.

message 14: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 161 comments You want me to choose!!!! That's like asking me to choose my favorite kid. Okay, I'm going to say Jessica Crawford from Coveting Love. It's my first novel and my first character, so I feel a special bond with her.

message 15: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4334 comments Mod
Ann wrote: "Favorite character you've created. . .GO!"

I saw this post about twenty-four hours ago and have thought and thought about it. It's a tough choice. I'm going to mention two and I'll just go with the first two that came to mind twenty-four hours ago.

Camden Chavez from "The Asphalt Carpet". I accidentally fell in love with her, which was a good thing. Since the main character is leaving her behind and struggling with it, it made it easier to write about the conflict he felt and how badly he wanted to turn around and return to her.

Also, Karl Bradford in "Pretty Eyes". I can't say I like him, but I found him more and more fascinating the more I wrote about him.

message 16: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Howarth Ann wrote: "Oh, but sometimes the evil ones are the best!! I started out writing Jesse in Rehab for Superheroes to be evil, but he evolved and he's now one of my favorites!

I LOVED Jesse.

message 17: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Kayla wrote: "Ann wrote: "Oh, but sometimes the evil ones are the best!! I started out writing Jesse in Rehab for Superheroes to be evil, but he evolved and he's now one of my favorites!

I LOVED Jesse."

And Jack! :)

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I thought it might be fun to resurrect some wicked old posts from the fun folder, so I'm starting with this one. Anyone else want to dive in and dredge up other happy moments from yesteryear, please do!!! The more "Fun Folder" posts in circulation, the better! Let's do this! Excalmation points!!!

My favorite has always been my colorful scene stealers. It's been a toss up between Ida, the 92 year old vampire/chef from the Eyes series, and Bogie, the exiled lesser demon/bartender from the Discordant series. But soon... Well soonish... I'll be able to introduce the world to Vito, the dyed-in-the-wool New York bar owner who may or may not have mob ties. He promises to be just as sassy as his predecessors.

message 19: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner Unpublished character is Gary the Boglighter from my Tales of Cubonia fantasy series.

Published character would probably be Barry from the Apocalypse Wow series. he just doesn't give a cap about anything. It's so fun to write.

And yes, I'm just now realizing their names rhyme.

message 20: by Quoleena (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) My favorite character to write is still John Brown, a real person from 19th century American history. My favorite fictional character I created is a toss-up between two characters in my book, Rayne. Since I've already cheated and named someone else, I'll just pick one of them: Jhonis. He's an awful, terrible, hideous, hateful person, and it was so much fun to write him.

message 21: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4334 comments Mod
Dwayne wrote: "I saw this post about twenty-four hours ago and have thought and thought about it. It's a tough choice. I'm going to mention two and I'll just go with the first two that came to mind twenty-four hours ago.

Camden Chavez from "The Asphalt Carpet". I accidentally fell in love with her, which was a good thing. Since the main character is leaving her behind and struggling with it, it made it easier to write about the conflict he felt and how badly he wanted to turn around and return to her.

Also, Karl Bradford in "Pretty Eyes". I can't say I like him, but I found him more and more fascinating the more I wrote about him. "

So BADLY needs updating. I do still love Camden and Karl was an interesting character, but they're no longer my favorites.

Now I would have to say Austin Worth and Janelle Hills, both from "Austism" and both playing big roles in a novel I'm working on called "The Arteest". I loved Austin from the moment I began to create him. Janelle has taken some time to get to know better, but now that I do, she's really growing on me. And I keep learning more about her every day.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments Quoleena wrote: "My favorite character to write is still John Brown, a real person from 19th century American history. My favorite fictional character I created is a toss-up between two characters in my book, Rayne..."

John Brown the abolitionist? If so he's actually an ancestor of mine.

Ooooh this is a tough one. I've got so many characters I like and most of them I haven't even written, yet. But sticking with characters I have written, I would have to say Amrin from the fantasy novel I'm re-editing, and not just because he was the first character in the first novel I ever wrote. This kid goes through so much crap and spends such a large chunk of his life being abused and living in constant fear, but he keeps going all the same. He may be physically weak and emotionally traumatised, but, man, does he have some awesome determination.

message 23: by Quoleena (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) Melissa wrote: "Quoleena wrote: "My favorite character to write is still John Brown, a real person from 19th century American history. My favorite fictional character I created is a toss-up between two characters ..."

Whhhhhaaaaaaaaaat?!

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan  Morton | 110 comments Vicky Holtz, an eighth grader whose superpower is binder organization. Best friend of main character in "Candy Darque, Eighth-Grade Vampire" (aiming for publication in June)

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments A very hard question. Let me think on it...*cue jeopardy theme song*

I think my favorite character, or I should say characters, are Zeke Chance and Ben Stoyer from my One Taste of You series. I don't have either of them published yet, but One Taste of You was on Wattpad for a while gaining readers very well. Now it's entered into a contest! These two are sweet and sexy and oh so funny, I have faith they can win the judges over. Especially if they were real. *wink*

message 26: by Zoltán (last edited Apr 20, 2016 05:07AM) (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments A tough one... probably the most fun to write was Loki, a goblin like shaman in Witchhunter. He is a shaman and tries to be a kind of scientist. He has only indirect information from our world and that creates funny remarks from him. In reality his a sage, but can only work from received material.

Example: “Scarlet once told me that he [the witch hunter] is the mixture of Tarzan, Zatoichi and James Bond. Whatever that means. I found no historical references on those names.”

message 27: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Colonel Kahless from Warzone: Nemesis. He's a military leader, sci-fi pilot, and southern gentleman all rolled up into one.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments Quoleena wrote: "Whhhhhaaaaaaaaaat?!"

Yeah, my uncle discovered it while doing some genealogy. Which is funny because I think it was only the year before he made the discovery that I learned about John Brown in high school.

message 29: by Quoleena (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) So cool! I wrote him as his younger self and had him time travel to present day.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments Quoleena wrote: "So cool! I wrote him as his younger self and had him time travel to present day."

That sounds interesting :D

M. Ray Holloway Jr.   (mrayhollowayjr) | 180 comments My favorite unpublished character is probably my current WIP, Captain Henderson Johns of the independent diplomatic trade ship named "The Dreamer's Fortune".

My favorite published character is Jake, from "The Picture of the Ghost". I really felt bad for the poor guy until the end. It all worked out, though.

message 32: by Eva (last edited Apr 21, 2016 02:21AM) (new)

Eva Pasco (evapasco) | 90 comments Thus far, the favorite character I've created comes from my second novel which is undergoing the publication process: Augusta Bergeron - Dysfunctional. Deceptive. Demure. Stuck in a holding pattern, she engages in morally destructive behavior.

message 33: by Missy (new)

Missy Sheldrake (missysheldrake) | 252 comments My favorite is Tib, who makes his first appearance in my second book. He's easily manipulated and has major anger issues about it. He's an escaped slave boy who becomes the 2nd MC of the series and grows exponentially through the 2nd and 3rd books, but never seems to let go of that temper of his. I love writing him. He is constantly surprising me by taking the story places I wouldn't have thought to take it, and he's a great balance against my main protagonist, who is much more kind and lighthearted.

message 34: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments That's a biggie.

But I think I have the softest spot for Ulf Ragnarssen from The Barefoot Runners, he's so sexy....

Or maybe Arbel Liefsdottir from my first book, just because she's not what she seems.

message 35: by R. (new)

R. Billing (r_billing) | 228 comments It has to be my best friend and fiercest critic, my other woman, my nemesis, my Jane. I've been writing about the irrepressible Jane M Gould for something like 30 years, following her all the way from her early life on the farm at Hallsfield on Mercia to her unconventional career as Lieutenant Gould of the Arcturian Confederate Space Fleet's elite Planetary Operations unit.

Leaving the farm was traumatic, she was kidnapped by a deserter from Space Fleet and taken away in a spaceship. When I first wrote this I intended to tell the story of how Space Fleet rescued her. The trouble is that space is big, and if a teenage girl goes missing she could easily be a grandmother before you found her again.

Jane decided to take matters into her own hands. In her words: There is no prospect of my being rescued unless I do it myself.

When Space Fleet caught up with her one kidnapper had shot the other, the first one had been killed by an 11kV flashover, and their two spaceships were writeoffs, one crashed, the other hit by an armour-piercing shot fired by Jane. She can be a little wholesale at times, and trying to kill her only makes her very cross.

Now she is an officer, although she can reduce hardened space admirals to apoplexy at times. She is also a very elegant, sophisticated young woman with a liking for the best restaurants that five hundred planets can offer. She can be both a perfect hostess and a deadly enemy. She is both strong and strangely vulnerable, critical of her own mistakes, focussed, but never losing that streak of teenage fun.

Jane, dare I say I love you?

message 36: by Curtis (new)

Curtis Smith (curtis_smith) | 11 comments Darcy Cassano and Warren Potes from The Rising of The Elements, favourites because they're both combinations of some of my closest friends so I really connected with them when writing. Also, Warren and Darcy's relationship was so much fun to write, and Warren seems to be the kind of friend people want in real life!