OTAKU: Anime, Manga & Cosplay! discussion

General > First Anime/ Manga

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

Marie (naturechild02) | 287 comments Mod
What brought you to the world of anime or manga?
What was your first series?
What made you fall in love?

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Suggs | 3 comments A) Riping anime DVDs for a friend.
B) Chobits
C) Ghost in the Shell

message 3: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

When I was in middle school, Toonami used to show anime once in a while. My first exposure was Outlaw Star. It was edited and they left out whole episodes but I thought it was cool.
Later I watched a bit of Dragonball Z and Pokemon but I wasn't really into them. The Americanized versions of these were disappointing.

Years later, after high school, I happened to flip the channel to Adult Swim one night. I'd never really watched it before. And wouldn't you know, that night they were playing the first episode of Inuyasha to ever hit American TV. Two episodes later and I was completely hooked. I'd never seen unedited anime like this before!

And the rest is history.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess My first series was Fruits Basket. I was in middle school and my friend told me to read it. I started reading others too and then I just fell in love with manga. :)

message 5: by Kamiko (new)

Kamiko (kamiko1108) | 39 comments 1) My best friends/cousins looooved anime, and I wanted a common interest
2) I watched, not read Fairy Tail, and I watch more than I should read, unfortunately
3) The humor, the empathetic, ridiculous characters.

message 6: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

Jess♥ wrote: "My first series was Fruits Basket. I was in middle school and my friend told me to read it. I started reading others too and then I just fell in love with manga. :)"

Fruits Basket was my first manga too!

message 7: by Garrison (new)

Garrison Kelly (cybador) 1. My introduction to anime and cartoons in general came from living in a boring small town like Chehalis, Washington and having nothing else to do. This was the mid-90’s, so internet access was pretty much nonexistent in my life (so no You Tube, iTunes, or Roku). Whenever I wasn’t playing videogames on my Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64, I was watching cartoons like The Thundercats and Voltron.

2. My first anime (as in non-American) was Robotech. It was more than just giant robots beating the shit out of each other. This anime had romantic storylines that made me jealous (even though I shunned the idea of dating back in those days). My first anime crush was Lisa Hayes, the tough-minded brunette who was a high ranking officer on the Space Defense Fortress 1. God, she was beautiful.

3. I didn’t actually get hooked on other anime shows until Cartoon Network’s Toonami block started playing a huge number of them. I loved shows like Dragon Ball Z, Gundam Wing, and Tenchi Muyo. And yes, these shows were a lot like Robotech in the sense that they had romantic storylines I was jealous of. Truth is, I wouldn’t be interested in having romance in my own life until the year 2000 when I slow-danced with a cute girl for the first time. Now that I’ve had that experience, these storylines in anime have deeper meaning to me.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (leafmary) | 8 comments Pokemon. Never thought it wasn't an American cartoon until middle school haha.
Then, I discovered Fullmetal Alchemist Original, Naruto, Bleach on Toonami. My friends loved Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew, so that's how I got into shoujo. Fruits Basket was my first official shoujo manga.
After hearing Japanese, my life changed. I heard it in my history class watching a Disney movie in Japanese, and I had this weird excited feeling. I guess that's what people call a "calling?" Though, I am studying to become a Veterinarian, but I am learning Japanese already:D

message 9: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

Nice! I've always wanted to learn Japanese. Maybe one of these days I can get back to school...

message 10: by Naylene (new)

Naylene (Nayenel) | 2 comments My first anime was Death Note. I saw many people posting fan art about someone named L and Kira. I got curious and found out about the show. After seeing episode 1, I was hooked. I found it unique to anything I've ever seen before. After that, I began searching for more animes to watch.

message 11: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

If you ever need suggestions, hit me up!

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (leafmary) | 8 comments Marie wrote: "Nice! I've always wanted to learn Japanese. Maybe one of these days I can get back to school..."

Haha yes, but unfortunately it's expensive. I've been teaching myself. You can find hiragana and katakana charts on google to learn from and then just get a textbook-preferably Genki, and see if you really like the language or not! :D

message 13: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

I like the oral language but I'd definitely have to take classes for the kanji or whatever.
I've watched enough anime that I can tell if the subs are incorrect or not but I can't speak the language yet.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary (leafmary) | 8 comments Marie wrote: "I like the oral language but I'd definitely have to take classes for the kanji or whatever.
I've watched enough anime that I can tell if the subs are incorrect or not but I can't speak the languag..."

True! Though, I heard Heisig's Remembering the Kanji was extremely effective and one of my friends was using that last year and already knows around 1000 kanji. No classes needed! :D

message 15: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

Wow! I wish I had the quiet atmosphere to teach myself. I just don't. The only quiet time I have is the middle of the night and that's my writing time!

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary (leafmary) | 8 comments Marie wrote: "Wow! I wish I had the quiet atmosphere to teach myself. I just don't. The only quiet time I have is the middle of the night and that's my writing time!"

Ah, I hear you. Well, you got to put priorities first:D

message 17: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

Yeah, maybe I can get back to school next year. Until then, subbed anime!

message 18: by Haley (new)

Haley | 6 comments My first anime was The Last Airbender. I huddled up in the basement for an entire summer and watched it with my big sister. I'm ashamed to say I watched it dubbed, but I was in like the third grade, what did you expect? I don't even know if they have The Last Airbender in subbed... Anyway, it just escalated from there

message 19: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

I watched it dubbed too and loved it so much!

message 20: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

I've never heard of Kitchen Princess. I'll have to check it out!

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Clark My best friend in Middle School bought two volumes from the book fair and I read em and loved em and starred collecting my own.
First series were More Starlight to Your Heart and Desert Corak, the ones she bought. First anime was FMA
I fell in love with all Anime and Manga after Eureka Seven.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 59 comments To be honest, I think my first anime was one of those Shoukoushi Cedie or Princess Sarah ones. Those 1980s ones lol. And then my mom let me watch her favorites, the mecha anime... Voltes V and Daimos.

My first "favorite" series was Yuyu Hakusho and I still love it to this day.

I don't read many manga but my first serious series collection was MARS.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Marie wrote: "What brought you to the world of anime or manga?
What was your first series?
What made you fall in love?"

the drawings i thought they looked adorable
full moon
the stories i guess

message 24: by Marie, otakuqueen (new)

The stories and characters are easy to fall in love with!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

First manga I fell in love with: Deathnote (cause where you been all my life.) - in the process of completion

First anime I fell in love with: Kaichou wa maid sama - cause Usui. Comee on.

Ive just recently started reading so Im not there just yet.

Soon, I will be though.

Soon.

message 26: by Marie, otakuqueen (last edited Mar 03, 2016 10:13PM) (new)

Masoodah wrote: "First manga I fell in love with: Deathnote (cause where you been all my life.) - in the process of completion

First anime I fell in love with: Kaichou wa maid sama - cause Usui. Comee on.

Ive jus..."

I wish they had completed Kaichou wa Maid sama the anime! Usui is so hot! I still haven't finished Death Note, the manga.

Cieru_Phantomhive | 2 comments My friend was that one that actually showed me (forced me to watch by tying me to a chair) the world of anime and my first ever series was death note.
Which i gotta say is a damn good show and i fell in love with kira! It's just something about seeing his character develop that made me love him even more. (Despite the craze show at the end)

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 7 comments My first anime was Fairy Tail and I loved it so much, that's what really got me into anime as well as Blue Exorcist. I also started reading manga thanks to fairy tail

message 29: by Cali (new)

Cali W. Fairy tail, and I know that sounds very "newbie anime goer" but as a starter anime I really enjoyed it and continue to read the manga today #Gruvia ❄️