Schlafly Global Book Discussion Group discussion

Book Suggestions for 2015

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I mentioned that we should spend the next month thinking of titles for our next round of selections for book club. Feel free to add them here and we'll make a final decision next month.

A few I'm thinking about:

"Without You, There is No Us" by Suki Kim

Kim is a journalist who was afforded the rare opportunity to teach the children of the North Korean elite. She talks about her time at the school, the nationalist culture that permeates everything and her attempts to connect with those who have been forcibly cut off from the rest of the world.

"City of Thieves" by David Benioff

Two young men are taken prisoner in WWII Stalingrad. They're tasked with an impossible mission: to find a dozen eggs for a commander's daughter's wedding. It's funny, touching and offers a different glimpse of life during wartime.

"Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking" by Anya Von Bremzen

A Russian woman talks about her Soviet upbringing, told through the stories of the women and food in her life.

"Girl on the Train" - Paula Hawkins

A new book that's been getting great reviews, it's about a woman whose life is undergoing turmoil who obsesses over a couple she sees every day on the train. She imagines their perfect lives, but soon learns that everything is not as idyllic as she thinks as their lives intertwine.

"Born on a Blue Day" - Daniel Tammett

An autobiography by a man who lives with both autism and synaesthesia, which manifests as his ability to see numbers as colors and shapes. It's supposed to be a unique and unadorned look at an exceptional life and the mysteries of how the brain works.

Those are all I have so far. Please add your own!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've gotten a few emails from some members. Feel free to post any here or email them to tbursik@slpl.org

Anne Pennick:

"Still Alice" by Lisa Genova
"All the Light We Cannot See" by Doerr
"A House in the Sky" by Amanda Lindhout
"The Orphan Master's Son" by Adam Johnson

Lucy Drews also suggested "All the Light We Cannot See," which has been getting rave reviews and will definitely be included on next year's list.

message 3: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments Travis - I'm up in Mich so can't consult our current bk list, but if these titles aren't already scheduled for this yr, I'd like to suggest: The Burgess Boys, by Eliz. Strout (her Olive Kittredge was wonderful), The Light in the Ruins, by Chris Bohjalian, and Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson. Excellent authors, all!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Great! Thanks for the suggestions, Lucy. I've got a (rapidly growing) spreadsheet and I look forward to discussing these with you all later in the month.