The 104 Book Challenge - 2015 discussion

Kaylie's books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #1 The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan. The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5) by Rick Riordan

I've been reading this series since elementary school and I still love it.

message 2: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #2 The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan. The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12) by John Flanagan

As you can see I read quite a bit of Young Adult fiction. I'm trying to branch out, I promise.

message 3: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #3 The Blood Gospel by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell. The Blood Gospel (The Order of the Sanguines, #1) by James Rollins

See I told you I was trying! :). This book was pretty good, especially fora vampire story. You should see the sequel somewhere on my list. Eventually.

message 4: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #4 The Little Lady of the Hall by Nora Ryeman.

This was a great book and read almost like a children's fable. 10/10 would read again. If anyone finds this book anywhere I recommend buying it.

message 5: by Kaylie (last edited Jan 27, 2015 05:46PM) (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #5 The Romanov Cross by Robert Masello. The Romanov Cross by Robert Masello

This book was insanely interesting. The author combines history, folklore, speculation and the supernatural into one well written story. Basically, an epidemiologist (someone who studies diseases) has to figure out a way to stop the spread of the Spanish Flu in present day Alaska. This strain may have been caused by the sole survivor of the Romanov family thanks to the mad monk, Rasputin, and his mystical (divine?) powers. 9/10 because the author is verbose at times.

message 6: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #6 Surviving September 11th: Tenth Anniversary of 9/11 by Dan Holdridge Surviving September 11th Tenth Anniversary of 9/11/2001 Memorial by Dan Holdridge

This book is a fascinating read into the life of Dan Holdridge, a survivor of the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon. It shows how he handled the physical attack and its aftermath. A lot of the book has to do with survivors guilt and how Dan finds his place in the world. It was a great book. 8/10 only because the writing is a little choppy at times.

message 7: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #7 Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

I only picked this one up because it kept popping up all over the place. I'm glad I did. Great book. Intriguing plot and well written. What more could you ask for? 10/10

message 8: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #8 Animal Farm by George Orwell
I picked this book up because I felt like I should read it. It seemed like everyone else already has. I prepared to grind my way through an extremely boring book. I was pleasantly disappointed. It was a far more interesting story than I thought it would be. The complex underlying message was refreshing, as well as the fast paced scenario. I highly recommend that people read this book.
10/10 and will read again

message 9: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #9 The Sacred Blood by Michael Byrnes The Sacred Blood by Michael Byrnes

Great concept; bad execution. Basically, everyone is fighting over the bones of Jesus. This makes for a great idea, but I didn't think the author pulled it off. He spends so much time giving you a history lesson about the middle east and explaining everythingthat the story runs out of gas. It was a 300 page book that never ended. 3/10 wouldn't recommend.

message 10: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #10 The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury The Last Templar (Templar, #1) by Raymond Khoury

So this book starts off with the four horseman attacking a museum filled with Vatican treasures. Pretty awesome. It has a cinematic feeling that never goes away and makes the book so much better. It's a really good read about people trying to find the lost treasure of the Templar Knights. It's sort of like Indiana Jones meets James Bond; It doesn't get much better. 10/10 will definitely be picking up the sequel.

message 11: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 13 comments #11 The Last Roman by Edward Crichton The Last Roman (The Praetorian Series Book I) by Edward Crichton

This one is set in the future and is about a bunch of elite fighters from around the world who become the last Praetorian guard, but this time to the Pope. After that religion has very little to do with the book. In fact, the group of soldiers are sent back in time to the Roman Empire during the reign of Caligula. Sounds awesome, right? It was. Generally, I hate first person stories, but this book pulled it off really well. My only problem with it, is that the author does a lot of techno-babble. It seems unnecessary. 10/10 will be reading the sequel.