Children's Books discussion

Eva Ibbotson
This topic is about Eva Ibbotson
Specific Books & Authors > Eva Ibbotson

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
From the 'quote of the day' email:

"It's true that adventures are good for people even when they are very young. Adventures can get in a person's blood even if he doesn't remember having them."

Eva Ibbotson (born January 21, 1925) published her first book when she was 50 years old. In the three decades that followed, she wrote historical romance and humorous, magical books for children including Which Witch? and The Secret of Platform 13.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
I know many of us are fans of her work. I had no idea she didn't publish until she was 50!

I think Which Witch? is probably my favorite by her; I remember it being funny... but I've several more to read!

What is your favorite?

message 3: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2481 comments Mod
The Secret of Platform 13 was my first introduction to her works. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I have gone on to read some others, but haven't read all of them all yet. I did also enjoy Which Witch.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments I think my favorite Ibbotson book is Dial-a-Ghost.

message 5: by Emily (last edited Jan 23, 2015 11:12AM) (new)

Emily The Ogre of Oglefort is my favorite. Ugly cover, but sweet book. I also have lots more still to read, however.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 27 comments Ibbotson is one of my favorite authors. She has such an easy, entertaining writing style. The Secret of Platform 13, Which Witch, Dial-a-Ghost,etc. are fun. But you should also check out Journey to the River Sea if you haven't read it. It is one of her best. :-)

message 7: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) I enjoy her books, but haven't read many of them yet. The Ogre of Oglefort was my favourite so far.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Fitzgerald | 367 comments It's interesting because in addition to the fantasy books that most are mentioning, she has written in (at least) two other categories.

I have not been impressed with her fantasy books (I don't like funny fantasy - Piers Anthony is another in this realm) and really have no desire to read more of those, but her realistic/historical fiction is wonderful.

I very much enjoyed Journey to the River Sea and learned quite a bit about the Amazon rubber boom of the early 20th century. Brazil of that period returns as a setting in A Company of Swans but that one is racier in terms of morals; it's more adult reading.

The Dragonfly Pool is a wonderful children's story that combines a lot of different elements. I also liked The Star of Kazan which is set in Russia. Both of those include European royalty, treachery, etc. Good stuff.

I want to read more but my libraries don't seem to have what I'm looking for at this time. However, I'll continue to hunt them down because she is a really great writer.