Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) Clockwork Angel discussion

What makes great characters?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle I choose Clockwork Angel because there are so many characters that are unique and likeable. What are the reasons why you may love a character?

Cassidie Complexity and reasons behind their actions.

I can warm up to any character that a) has depths and not two dimensional b) not just does random things and/or fails to explain them, but even if what they do is not what we consider 'right', they do it for they believe it needs to be done.

Michelle It bothers me when characters just do things without thinking. It almost seems pointless. Characters with strong beliefs do stand out.

Imaan Iddir I like characters that care about other characters, including the ones that they aren't in love with - and I like characters that are willing to risk themselves but aren't completely reckless and stupid. Charlotte Branwell is both.

Clarizze Curaraton I love characters that are complex with lots of sides to their personality and when the author shows how and why they think things the way they do because thats when i develop to feel a special emotional connection with them as if they were real. I love when they have something that sets them apart and makes them unique. I love witty or sarcastic characters like Will and Jace Herondale they just make the book so much better and lighter even when the situation is dark.

Imaan Iddir Yes! Exactly.

Michelle cometstrike wrote: "I like characters that care about other characters, including the ones that they aren't in love with - and I like characters that are willing to risk themselves but aren't completely reckless and s..."

I agree 100%. When characters don't think about the consequences or how something they do may hurt someone else it annoys me.

Michelle Clarizze wrote: "I love characters that are complex with lots of sides to their personality and when the author shows how and why they think things the way they do because thats when i develop to feel a special emo..."

I love witty and sarcastic characters. Will and Jem, along with the other characters add to the story. Having characters that have no real reason to do the things they do become kind of unnecessary sometimes. A character should have a purpose in the story, even a small one.

message 9: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Augustine I find I'm drawn to characters whose actions aren't straight laced and the reasons behind them complex. I especially enjoy Villainous characters because often times there is so much more going on beneath the surface. In theory, any character could be 'the bad guy'. Every character has that potential and as the plot unfolds, I prefer the characters who are honest( even if it is cruel), selfish( even if it is wrong), and undeniably conflicted in some way.