The Old Man and the Sea The Old Man and the Sea question

Does Hemingway deserve his reputation as a literary genius?
deleted member Jan 22, 2015 04:00PM
Does Hemingway's literary talent transcend his age, or did his "greatness" simply arise from his ability to capture the 20th century zeitgeist?

For me, the greatness was not in the topics, settings, or themes, but the prose. That brutal, resplendent, sparse, prose.

Renee E (last edited Apr 29, 2015 08:25PM ) Apr 29, 2015 08:24PM   1 vote
Gods. If I can't sleep, something — anything by Hemingway will cure it. In a page or less.

deleted user I have the same comment, but the opposite reaction, at least regarding his short stories. If I can't sleep, I'll read one of his stories, and the inte ...more
Apr 30, 2015 07:34AM

Very well put Robert. I believe that Hemingway does deserve his reputation as a literary genius. He also deserves his reputation as an antisemitic lout.

i loved it

stig (last edited Jan 23, 2015 10:39AM ) Jan 23, 2015 10:39AM   0 votes
Not sure I've ever heard someone actually call him a "genius". He was a pretty good writer, though.

Nisreen (last edited Jan 23, 2015 03:05AM ) Jan 23, 2015 03:04AM   0 votes
I think that he has a box of knowledge in his soul that enables him to give something like The Old Man and The Sea.

Kris
A very astute and mature comment on your part. Exactly, right on. Unfortunately, so many of us, and I include myself, do not follow your advice much to our loss.

Hemingway is the quintessential American author in my opinion. His genius was not in his topics, settings, etc., as Robert pointed out, but in his prose. He was able to make so few words hit so hard. One of his quotes about writing is, "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." I think this sums up his ability to pour forth his soul onto the page and make the reader feel the pain. I call him a genius, but I know also he was an asshole in his personal life. Does that really matter when we're considering his writing?

Duane (last edited Apr 18, 2015 12:05PM ) Apr 18, 2015 12:04PM   0 votes
Hey, Kris really swerved into it.

For one thing, If an "Artist" is an asshole but nobody knows it, is s/he still an asshole?

So then if we find out s/he was an asshole AFTER we've deicided s/he was a genius, is s/he then no longer a genius?

In fact, in such case was s/he then deicidedly not a genius from the very beginning, even though we didn't know s/he was an asshole until ummm, I dunno... they searched his/her/its hard drive?

(My time machine is in the repair shop...)

Daniel Monzalvo like...WHAAAAAAT? lol
Aug 14, 2015 12:38PM · flag

His letters were compiled after his death (against his wishes, btw), and published in the book On Writing. He was fascinating, and passionate about writing, devoted his life to his craft. He was as good as he could be as an artist, which I do believe is exceptional. I've decided art and the artist must be separated, or it's impossible to appreciate the art fully, and I'd rather appreciate art than judge someone. It's more fulfilling an experience for me. I learned that with Picasso. Spent a good deal of my life despising a dead man and allowing it to affect how I felt about his art. It took nothing away from Picasso, but did to me. So, I enjoy Hemingway's prose and Picasso's art, and leave the injuries these men did to others where they belong. In the past. None of my business.

Yes he does, his ability to write his characters in a simplistic but yet brutally honest approach is amazing. Just read for whom the bells tolls. War has never been more honestly depicted, save for Catch 22