Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Dance Party Round III > Team “The Navy M.I.S.T.”

Comments Showing 1-50 of 207 (207 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (last edited Jan 25, 2015 07:51AM) (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Team “The Navy M.I.S.T.”: I♥BG (Teresa), Ipshita, Sandy, & Molly

Co-Captains: Ipshita & I♥BG (Teresa)

message 2: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments .

message 3: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments Wow, first one to check in. Hello everyone! ^^

message 4: by SandyL (new)

SandyL hi!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Hooray! Hello, Team! Blue is my favorite color so I'm excited to be on this team! I still need to figure out what we're doing but haven't had much time to look over past versions of this game or do much of anything on GR this week. Work has sucked this week, shift-wise.

Anyway, happy to be here! :)

message 6: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Jan 27, 2015 08:33PM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) How to Play

Players must find a book that can link to the song and read it before the end of the week. Team members may all read the same book, all read different books, or somewhere in between. It's all good, as long as you can reference HOW the book links to the song.

Any genre is allowed. Re-reads older than 6 months only. Books must have more than 150 pages.

When Team Members finish their book for the week, they must rate and give a minimum-2-sentence REVIEW saying what they liked or disliked about the book. Example.

Scoring
Individual Points
Shelf = 1 point - (only the shelf linked under that week's song counts)
Cover = 2 points - (item on the cover links to the title, video clip or lyrics)
Plot = 3 points - (one of the plot points links to the song)
Title = 4 points - (song title & book title have matching key words {i.e. not a preposition})
Name = 5 points - (first or last name of author, artist or character matches)
Setting = 6 points - (first published date matches release date or place matches lyrics)

Team Points
Team points accrued when ALL players finish Read, Rate, & Review posts each week (by finish date)

Remember: 24 hour increments!
1 Day after song post = 7 points
2 days after... = 6 pts
3 days after... = 5 pts
4 days after... = 4 pts
5 days after... = 3 pts
6 days after... = 2 pts
7 days after... = 1 pts
8 or more days after... = 0 pts

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) reserve

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) third reserve needed? maybe!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Any ideas on team names?

message 10: by SandyL (new)

SandyL Hi Team!!!
My thought for a name (if we can't keep Navy) - The Mist - (Molly, Ipshita, Sandy and Teresa)

message 11: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Why not go for The Navy Mist ?:D

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Oh, I like that, Sandy and ShoSho!

Also: Have any of you played either of the rounds for this game in the past? This is new to me so I'm still trying to grasp the concept for some of it!

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments You ladies are so clever.

message 14: by SandyL (new)

SandyL Never - I'm sorry ShoSho - didn't see you on the list - it should be the Navy MISTS then!

(BTW - just an idea, no worries if you all come up with something better - I have no ego here! :-))

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm not on the team ! I'm just the nosy Mod :P

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly (molly32) | 104 comments Hey you guys! Cheers to the Mists! When are the songs getting published, do you know?

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Molly wrote: "Hey you guys! Cheers to the Mists! When are the songs getting published, do you know?"

Sunday PST. Don't know exact time, yet, but will keep you posted.

message 18: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments I like the name The Navy Mist. It gives us a mystical aura I think :P

message 19: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Jan 23, 2015 06:21AM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I like it for that reason, too.

I guess I should think of some books for each song so I am ready for when the song drops!

I have to work all day so I can't go through them all right now but will try to tonight or tomorrow.

message 20: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments

We mods have discussed it and decided you may choose two (2) categories from which to accumulate points.

Still, within each category you will only get one match. So, if you have two names that match two in the the "name" category, you would only get five (5) points, not ten (10).

EXAMPLE ONLY. Player Review & Points

♬ Week 1 Song: "The Safety Dance" - Men Without Hats (1982)
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Book: A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby
Rating: ★★★★★
Finished: Jan. 27, 2015
Review: This was an unexpected surprise. The cover doesn't do the book any favours but once I started reading, the characters hooked me right in. I'm not usually a fan of the suicide attempts, but this book broke the mold and pulled at the heartstrings. Love the bonding of the characters.
*Link: SHELF - Humorous
*Names: Ivan & Colin

Individual points for this player:
[shelf (1) + names (5)] = 6

message 21: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments
Posting Questions

We don't want to miss your questions, and we don't want other Teams to miss our answers. Therefore, please post your questions to the Mods in the R3: ♬ 1, 2, 3 Step or HOW TO PLAY thread. Thank you!

P.S. You may certainly continue to post your questions to your Captains in your Team threads.

message 22: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

message 23: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments Alright. So now that we have our song, where are the dancers? Ladies?

message 24: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments I'll be reading Simply Love.

It was published in 1997 - 6 pts

Let's see if I find anything else in the book that matches the song.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I assume the setting is the published year? And what about the heaven or beach on England thing? I have to read a book that takes place in heaven or a beach in England for those points?

I'm still figuring this thing out. My first time playing and I'm still somewhat confused. I have things to do at home today but will be back in a bit to figure this out.

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "I assume the setting is the published year?"
Yes, publication year.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "And what about the heaven or beach on England thing? I have to read a book that takes place in heaven or a beach in England for those points?"
Yes. For either, only part of the book has to be set there, not the whole book.

message 27: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "I assume the setting is the published year? And what about the heaven or beach on England thing? I have to read a book that takes place in heaven or a beach in England for those points?

I'm still ..."

To get the setting points your must have been published in 1997 or take place in heaven or a beach in England.

message 28: by SandyL (new)

SandyL I'm going to read Angels in Leather (Rebels on Bikes, #1) by Bella Jewel for 6 points (Angels in title and tattoo on cover)

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Update on Setting, I♥BG: Will also allow a setting with the name “Angels” in the city or town.

message 30: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Jan 25, 2015 03:27PM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Thanks for the answers!

Still finding books.

message 31: by Ipshita (last edited Feb 03, 2015 07:13AM) (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments Song for Week #1

♬"Angels" - Robbie Williams

✔Molly: The Calhoun Women: Catherine & Amanda - 11 points
✔Ipshita: Simply Love - 6 points
✔Sandy: Angels in Leather - 6 points
✔Teresa: Angels Fall - 11 points

The Calhoun Women Catherine & Amanda (Calhouns #1 & 2) by Nora Roberts Simply Love by Catherine Anderson Angels in Leather (Rebels on Bikes, #1) by Bella Jewel Angels Fall by Nora Roberts

message 32: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Jan 27, 2015 05:44AM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I'm going with Angels Fall by Nora Roberts .
Author: Roberts - 5 points
Setting: Angels Fist, WY - 6 points

Grabbing Monday from library, will read as soon/fast as I am able. I have a 7 hour work shift but we'll see what magic I can conjure before and after work!

message 33: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments Awesome, Teresa! That'll be 11 points then.

message 34: by Molly (last edited Jan 26, 2015 04:18AM) (new)

Molly (molly32) | 104 comments Hey guys, because this is my first time, can you confirm if The Calhoun Women: Catherine & Amandais an appropriate choice. It was published in 1997; the author is Nora Roberts; the plot contains the ghost of the great-grandmother of the heroines coming back to help them find a family treasure and uncover her lover story;
Can someone let me know if this is ok or should I look for alternatives? Thanks!

message 35: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments It will definitely work, Molly. You can get 5 points for the Name and 6 points for the setting.

message 36: by Molly (new)

Molly (molly32) | 104 comments Thanks Ipshita! Wouldn't I also get 3 points for the plot, since it contains a ghost(s) coming back to help a loved one?
Also, I see that there is a playlist below the song of the week - are we supposed to choose a book from those list as well? Or did I not get it right?

message 37: by Ipshita (last edited Jan 26, 2015 04:38AM) (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments No, Molly. Look at message #20, it is mentioned that we are allowed to choose only two categories from which to accumulate points. You'll get maximum points if you combine the points for Name and Setting in that case.

The playlist just shows which songs were originally in the running. We're only supposed to choose books according to the one song that's been chosen by the mods.

message 38: by Molly (new)

Molly (molly32) | 104 comments OK, got it. Thanks for answering all of those questions. I'll stick with The Calhoun Women Catherine & Amanda (Calhouns #1 & 2) by Nora Roberts than :) It's just become available on sale for 1,99 so I'll order it right away.

message 39: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments You're most welcome. Hope you enjoy your book :)

message 40: by SandyL (new)

SandyL Song of the Week #1
Angels by Robbie Williams

Angels in Leather (Rebels on Bikes, #1) by Bella Jewel
Book: Angels in Leather
Rating - 2 Stars
Review - This is a biker book about a couple who knew each other as children, but life has changed them both. The H has had lots of things happen to him during their years apart, but she tries to save him while all kinds of other stuff goes on. I did not really enjoy this book - 2 stars.
Title - 4 points
Cover (tattoo) - 2 points

message 41: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Sandy wrote: "Song of the Week #1
Angels by Robbie Williams

Angels in Leather (Rebels on Bikes, #1) by Bella Jewel
Book: Angels in Leather
Rating - 2 Stars
Review - This is a biker book about a couple who knew ..."

The premise sounds interesting, too bad the book didn't live up to it. Hopefully next week's book will be better! :)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) What was I thinking with a 400+ page book for this?! LOL! The print is small, too!

message 43: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Are you enjoying it?

message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "What was I thinking with a 400+ page book for this?! LOL! The print is small, too!"

I just downloaded the audio to my iPod .

message 45: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments Week #1
Song: Angels by Robbie Williams
Simply Love by Catherine Anderson
Simply Love by Catherine Anderson

Date finished: 27/01/15
Rating: ★★★

Review:

This was supposed to be a hilarious tale about a pure, innocent maiden and an equally jaded scoundrel. Instead, what I got was a TSTL heroine intent on becoming a nun (possibly a wannabe saint). I could not come to like Cassandra at all. Maybe I am just not used to Catherine Anderson writing stories like Lynsay Sands; but it was a funny story without doubt. (full review)

Setting: 6 points

message 46: by Molly (new)

Molly (molly32) | 104 comments The Calhoun Women Catherine & Amanda (Calhouns #1 & 2) by Nora Roberts
Date finished: 27/01/2015
Raiting: ★★★★

“The Calhoun women – Catherine and Amanda” are actually a compilation of two books (the series contains 5 in total) and the beginning of this romance/ mystery/ trip to the past story. It all centers on the Calhoun “castle” and the supposed buried treasure – an emerald necklace from the heroines grandmother, who is also somewhat present as a ghost and in flashbacks throughout the books. In the first book the girls struck a deal with the delicious Trent - CC’s (Catherine the mechanic) would be lover and real estate millionaire in order to make it into a specialty (haunted) hotel. The romance of the first book is in the very familiar old school Nora Roberts (almost written by numbers) style. Maybe I’m feeling nostalgic but I really enjoyed that aspect, kind of like comfort food you haven’t had in a long while. The second book – Amanda and Sloan’s story was much more interesting to me. Slaon is the rugged architect (and Trent’s friend from the first book) who comes to help renovate the “castle” and heavily make out with the oldest sister. Honestly, this was fun, a little angsty and all around delightful. It made me yearn for simple times and definitely get the rest of the books. I feel like the most interesting character is Lyla – the mystical syster. I hope Nora Roberts gave her a real treat of a love story.
Setting: 11 points

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Oh no, I'm the last one! I am enjoying the book, it's fast reading, just small print. I hope to finish tonight!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) 130 pages to go and I'll be done and then we can turn in our tasks tonight!!

message 49: by SandyL (new)

SandyL Hi Teresa - don't worry. It's supposed to be fun and you should enjoy your book! Don't stress about anything!!!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Finished!

Angels Fall by Nora Roberts
Date finished: 1/27/15
Author: Roberts - 5 points
Setting: Angels Fist, WY - 6 points
Total: 11 points
Rating: ★★★

Review:
This one was okay. It was a little long and drawn out. I liked the main character and most of the locals she became close to. Brody, the love interest, was a little bit of a jerk at first, the stern mask over his true feelings, etc, but he did help Reece keep perspective when she would start to go off the rails so I guess she needed a guy like that, one who wouldn't coddle her. As for the mystery, I had it figured out pretty early on so it was kind of draggy for me to get through a lot of the story just to find out if I was right or not. As usual, though, Nora Roberts has a lot of writing talent. I just wish she would have cut out a little more.

« previous 1 3 4 5