Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Dance Party Round III > Team “Pink Prima Ballerinas”

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (last edited Jan 22, 2015 12:38PM) (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Team Pink: Margaret, ❀Tea❀, Poongothai, & Manvir

Captain: Margaret

message 2: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments .

message 3: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 252 comments Hello team
*waves*

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Hi Team!!!

I am really looking forward to this challenge and can't wait to "get the party started" LOL.

This is my first time playing, and my first time as captain of a team ever (although I have taken part a few team challenges) so I am bit nervous, but hopefully all will go well.

I am still getting my head around the rules and how to play, so I might reserve a few spots to place some of the rules in so they are close by and easy to remember. And I will reserve a spot to keep track of our "Dance Card".

I will also send out friend requests to you, as I think you can never have enough Goodread friends :)

So looking forward to this!!

P.S. I live in Adelaide, South Australia, so the times when I log onto Goodreads is usually when the Northern Hemisphere is fast asleep :)

message 5: by Margaret (last edited Mar 04, 2015 12:48PM) (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Team Pink Prima Ballerina's Dance Card Updates
Current Points Total = 227

Week 6 - ♬ "Animals" - Maroon 5 (2014)
✔ Margaret: Evidence of Trust ~ 11 points [name, setting] ~ Review
✔ ❀Tea❀: Forged by Desire ~ 11 points [name, setting] ~ Review
✔ Poongothai: Kiss Me Forever ~ 11 points [name, setting] ~ Review.
✔ Manvir: Night Broken ~ 11 points [name, setting] ~ Review

Sub Total = 44
Day Read Bonus = 4
Total Points = 48

Previous Weeks
(view spoiler)

message 6: by Margaret (last edited Feb 19, 2015 03:49AM) (new)

Margaret | 93 comments How to Play

Players must find a book that can link to the song and read it before the end of the week. Team members may all read the same book, all read different books, or somewhere in between. It's all good, as long as you can reference HOW the book links to the song.

Any genre is allowed. Re-reads older than 6 months only. Books must have more than 150 pages.

When Team Members finish their book for the week, they must rate and give a minimum-2-sentence REVIEW saying what they liked or disliked about the book. Example.

Scoring
Individual Points - Points from 2 categories
Shelf = 1 point - (only the shelf linked under that week's song counts)
Cover = 2 points - (item on the cover links to the title, video clip or lyrics)
Plot = 3 points - (one of the plot points links to the song)
Title = 4 points - (song title & book title have matching key words {i.e. not a preposition})
Name = 5 points - (first or last name of author, artist or character matches)
Setting = 6 points - (first published date matches release date or place matches lyrics)

Team Points
Team points accrued when ALL players finish Read, Rate, & Review posts each week (by finish date)

1 Day after song post = 7 points
2 days after... = 6 pts
3 days after... = 5 pts
4 days after... = 4 pts
5 days after... = 3 pts
6 days after... = 2 pts
7 days after... = 1 pts
8 or more days after... = 0 pts

Dance Party 3 Spreadsheet

message 7: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments Hi everyone!

I'm excited to play this challenge again, I absolutely loved it the last time around. I'm sure you'll do great Margaret no worries.

message 8: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments We need a team name! Here are some I thought up:
Pretties in Pink
Pink Flamingos
Pink Panthers
Pink Pixies
Pink Prima Ballerinas

Any thoughts?

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Hi Manvir, Thanks so much for the team name suggestions!! I do like Pink Prima Ballerinas (to keep with the whole dancing theme). What does everyone else think?

message 10: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 252 comments I'm pink again :P
First thing always that comes to my mind are Pink Ladies from Grease :)

I like Pixies and Ballerinas

message 11: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments

We mods have discussed it and decided you may choose two (2) categories from which to accumulate points.

Still, within each category you will only get one match. So, if you have two names that match two in the the "name" category, you would only get five (5) points, not ten (10).

EXAMPLE ONLY. Player Review & Points

♬ Week 1 Song: "The Safety Dance" - Men Without Hats (1982)
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Book: A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby
Rating: ★★★★★
Finished: Jan. 27, 2015
Review: This was an unexpected surprise. The cover doesn't do the book any favours but once I started reading, the characters hooked me right in. I'm not usually a fan of the suicide attempts, but this book broke the mold and pulled at the heartstrings. Love the bonding of the characters.
*Link: SHELF - Humorous
*Names: Ivan & Colin

Individual points for this player:
[shelf (1) + names (5)] = 6

message 12: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments
Posting Questions

We don't want to miss your questions, and we don't want other Teams to miss our answers. Therefore, please post your questions to the Mods in the R3: ♬ 1, 2, 3 Step or HOW TO PLAY thread. Thank you!

P.S. You may certainly continue to post your questions to your Captains in your Team threads.

message 13: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments I'm leaning towards Pink Prima Ballerinas too.

Tea, I secretly wish I had one of those Pink Ladies jackets lol.

message 14: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

message 15: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments Yep that's the one! Thanks Mr Elf :)

message 16: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 78 comments Hi team

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Hi Poongothai!

Welcome to the Pink Ladies / Pink Prima Ballerinas / Pink Pixies team LOL :)

We are in the midst of working out our team name and I think these three are what we are deciding between ... let us know which one you like best.

message 18: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Once we get our team name sorted, I will order the pink jackets for us all ;)

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments OK team I might have a slight problem here... I was trying to see if there was an exact time on Sunday that the song of the week would be announced. Unfortunately, at this stage, there isn't an exact time. It will just be at some time on Sunday.

I have asked for an exact time, or approximate time as I really want to be able to log into Goodreads once the song is announced, so I can let you all know and help out with song selections, if necessary. But, unless I can get an approximate time, the song could be announced anywhere between 12:30am and 11:30am Monday morning my time.

I have asked the mods if it would be possible to announce the song after 6pm New York City time on Sunday, as that will be 9:30am Monday morning my time and I can log into Goodreads at work then. But if not, and it is announced earlier than this, then I probably won't get to log into Goodreads until I get to work at 9:30am and so I could be a few hours behind you all in seeing the song.

I hope this won't become an issue, but if you feel that it is, then I am happy to relinquish the captaincy of our team to someone else so that we aren't at a disadvantage because of me and the time difference.

Hopefully the mods will accommodate my request and this won't be an issue. But I did want to let you guys know, just in case.

message 20: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Dancing Queen will post, in every Team thread, a hyperlink to the song details when the song is announced.

message 21: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments I don't see it being a problem Margaret. Don't worry about the time difference either.

message 22: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 252 comments Don't worry Margaret. We have whole week to work on the song.
And maybe it's even better to be little late. Then we can spy what other teams are reading :P

message 23: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

message 24: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 252 comments Oh, nice, my song!
I do apologize to everyone :)

message 25: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments If you ladies decide on a name, let us know and we'll change your thread title.

message 26: by Manvir (last edited Jan 25, 2015 07:15PM) (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments I vote for Pink Prima Ballerinas!
Also here is my book for week one.

Week 1 Song: ♬"Angels" - Robbie Williams ♬ (1997)
Book: Brazen Angel
Setting: 1997 = 6 points
Title: Brazen Angel = 4 points
Total: 10 6
Brazen Angel by Elizabeth Boyle

message 27: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 252 comments Manvir, title has to have s
word “Angels” in title or series name (not angel or angelic)

message 28: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 252 comments I'm going with Sanctuary by Nora Roberts for 11 pts

message 29: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments Ah oops lol. For some reason I read it the other way around. That's what I get for trying to quickly pick a book. I might change my book...

message 30: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Winter (Online Elf) wrote: "Dancing Queen will post, in every Team thread, a hyperlink to the song details when the song is announced."

Oh that's great! No worries then :)

message 31: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Manvir wrote: "I don't see it being a problem Margaret. Don't worry about the time difference either."

Thanks Manvir :)

message 32: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "Don't worry Margaret. We have whole week to work on the song.
And maybe it's even better to be little late. Then we can spy what other teams are reading :P"

Thanks Tea - LOL I like your thinking ;)

message 33: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Manvir wrote: "I vote for Pink Prima Ballerinas!
Also here is my book for week one.

Week 1 Song: ♬"Angels" - Robbie Williams ♬ (1997)
Title: Brazen Angel..."

Sorry Manvir but you won't get the points for title as it has to be an exact match to Angels (with the 's'). But it is still a good pick as you will get 6 points for the setting.

message 34: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "I'm going with Sanctuary by Nora Roberts for 11 pts"

Great pick tea ❀Tea❀ - can you just confirm for me how you get the 11 points?

I can see 5 points for the name (Roberts). But can't see where the remaining 6 are coming from. I am sorry if it is blatantly obvious and I am missing it.

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Margaret wrote: "❀Tea❀ wrote: "I'm going with Sanctuary by Nora Roberts for 11 pts"

Great pick tea ❀Tea❀ - can you just confirm for me how you get the 11 points?

I can see 5 points for the name (Roberts). Bu..."

It was first published in 1997.

message 36: by Margaret (last edited Jan 25, 2015 07:42PM) (new)

Margaret | 93 comments I am going to read Where Seagulls Soar by Janet Woods for 6 points for the setting (Isle of Portland off the Dorset (England) coast).

message 37: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments ShoSho wrote: "It was first published in 1997. ..."

Thanks ShoSho.

message 38: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 78 comments I think we will go with Pink Prima Ballerinas

message 39: by Poongothai (last edited Feb 03, 2015 05:12AM) (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 78 comments ♬ Week 1 Song: "Angels" - Robbie Williams ♬ (1997)
Everything and the Moon (The Lyndon Sisters, #1) by Julia Quinn
Book: Everything and the Moon by Julia Quinn
Rating: ★★★★
Finished: Jan 27, 2015
Review: Another winner from one of my favourite authors. It was a fast read with many laugh aloud scenes. Watching Robert and Victoria fall in love with one another all over again was sweet. But I felt Victoria should have accepted his marriage proposal a lit bit earlier as some of her reasons of rejecting were not good enough.

Individual points : [Name (5) + Setting (6)]= 11
Character name : Robert Kemble, Earl of Macclesfield
Book first published in 1997

message 40: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments Week 1 Song: ♬"Angels" - Robbie Williams ♬ (1997)
Brazen Angel by Elizabeth Boyle
Rating:★★✰✰✰
Finished: 01/27/2015

Lady Sophia d'Artiers disguised as the Brazen Angel seduces and steals from wealthy nobles. The Marquess of Trahern, Giles Corliss, is determined to find out the true identity of this brazen thief. (Honestly I feel that sums up the plot and everything else was just padding)

It started off good but I found this book to be kinda slow and boring. I didn't like any of the characters much. Didn't see any real passion let alone love between Sophia and Giles. The 'larger' story about the french revolution and 'daring escapes' was equally boring. For saying Giles is supposed to be an Agent for England he was really slow about somethings. Sophia just came off as a chronic liar and very reckless in the extreme.

Total Points: 6

message 41: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Nice work Poongothai and Manvir on finishing your books so quickly.

I am about halfway through mine and hope to finish it within the next couple of days. I can't believe how fast everyone is reading!!

message 42: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 252 comments Week 1
♬ "Angels" - Robbie Williams

Book: Sanctuary by Nora Roberts
Date read: 28.01.15
Rating: ★★★
Review:
This book seemed familiar, but I'm not sure if I already read it or it's just NR repeating her plots.
It takes place on small island of coast of Georgia in family owned inn. We follow brother and 2 sisters and how they cope with their mother disappearance 20 years ago. Trouble starts when one of daughters starts getting pictures of her (stalker) and one of her dead mother.
Basically book was nothing special. Typical Nora Roberts book.

Name: author's last name is Roberts - 5 pts
Setting: first published in 1997 - 6 pts

Total: 11 pts

message 43: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Week 1
♬ "Angels" - Robbie Williams

Book: Where Seagulls Soar by Janet Woods
Points: 6 - Setting: Story takes place on the Isle of Portland off the Dorset (England) coast
Rating: ★★★
Review:
This book was an interesting read with a good plot and character development. As it was the second book in the series (and I hadn't read the first), it seemed that the author had a few loose ends to tie off from the first book to make this second book feasible (i.e. (view spoiler)). I think if I have had read the first book, I might have been a little disappointed with this turn of events. But as I hadn't, I did enjoy the story and will look to read more from this author.

message 44: by Margaret (last edited Jan 28, 2015 03:24PM) (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Great work Team!! We finished Week 1 with a total of 38 points!!!

message 45: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments Nice job everyone.

message 46: by Manvir (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments Celebratory Cake

description

message 47: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments LoL , love it !

message 48: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great cake, Manvir! Pretty.

message 50: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

« previous 1 3