Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Dance Party Round III > Team “The Yellow (Book) Jackets”

Comments Showing 1-50 of 414 (414 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (last edited Jan 25, 2015 07:52AM) (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments
Team “The Yellow (Book) Jackets”: Becky, Chris, Trea, & Logan

Co-Captains: Becky & Chris

message 2: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:37AM) (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments .

message 3: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Greetings Teammates! Yellow is my son's favorite color, so he's thrilled I got put here!

A little about me: I'm a stay at home mom, homeschooling my Kindergartener son. I try to read a book a day, if not two, but sometimes I can't make that goal. I do get at least 5 read in a week though! I read mostly romances, across a good bit of the subgenres. Hubby indulges me, as it keeps me from hollering too much about his video gaming hobby, LOL!

message 4: by Chris (last edited Jan 22, 2015 10:47AM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments Hello Team Yellow! I read about two books every three days. I'm retired, love history and romance and any combination of the two. Crime and thrillers float my boat, as well.

I've got on my dancing shoes!

message 5: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments I've sent out friend requests to all team members, just in case it is needed.

Anyone pulling for one song to win the choice this week from the playlist? I'm hoping for the OneRepublic song!

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments I thought I'd start Fuel to the Fire (Fuel to the Fire, #1) by David Staniforth for the "I see Fire" swong. It covers fire and dragons and I should be able to finish it by tomorrow - if that's okay with everyone.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments BTW can one book in one category score more than one type of points? I.e. can it match Name, Title and something else?

message 8: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (last edited Jan 22, 2015 12:31PM) (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Chris, we don't start reading until Sunday, as we don't know which of the six songs will be the one called.

message 9: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Chris wrote: "BTW can one book in one category score more than one type of points? I.e. can it match Name, Title and something else?"

Let me check with the other Mods and get back to you on this.

message 10: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments Hello Team Yellow! Let me just change into something a bit more appropriate...

There. That's better.

Now, about me: I read usually 2 or 3 books a week, mostly during my commute to and from work. I read a little of everything, usually in spurts. Right now I'm in a "mostly romance" spurt. I also really like YA, historical mysteries, thrillers, and space operas. I don't get as much reading done on weekends, but I'll do my best to finish books as quickly as I can.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LOL! LOVE it, Logan!

message 12: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Chris wrote: "BTW can one book in one category score more than one type of points? I.e. can it match Name, Title and something else?"

Chris, the Mods discussed it, since we did it one way for the First Round and another way the Second Round.

For the Third Round, we've decided to go with one match per category.

Thanks for the question!

message 13: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jan 22, 2015 03:07PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments *runs in waving* I'm here! I'm here! Am I late? ; )

So excited to be in this challenge with all of you! What a great team! Most of you have seen me around and some of you have been on other team challenges with me, so this will be a blast!

I'm married and a retired paralegal from Oklahoma. We have 3 sons, 1 grandson (& one more on the way), 2 horses and 1 dog. Reading has become my favorite pastime and I love a good book! Lately I've been on a Urban Fantasy kick, but I enjoy all sorts of Romance (esp. Romantic Suspense), Historical Westerns, Highlander Romance, Crime Thrillers, Mysteries, Paranormal and High Fantasy.
Reading comes easy for me and I can finish a book a day when real life is cooperative.

Has anyone thrown out some ideas for names? Here's what came to mind:

Flaming Yellow Lemondrops
The Mellow Yellows

I'll see what else I can come up with. Let's have a great time!

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Trea wrote: "Greetings Teammates! Yellow is my son's favorite color, so he's thrilled I got put here!

"

I love yellow,my favorite color !

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments I've also come up with a book our list:

♬"I See Fire" - Ed Sheeran (2013)
Book: Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews. I've come up with at least 9 points and the mods "might" approve the setting for a few more.

Just to clarify, we need to select a book for each song, so we're ready when the mods announce the song of the week, correct?

message 16: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "I've also come up with a book our list:

♬"I See Fire" - Ed Sheeran (2013)
Book: Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews. I've come up with at least 9 points and the mods "migh..."

It was my understanding that we could choose to read books individually or as a team. Now, granted this is my first time with this challenge, so I'm still feeling my way along with it, but I'm lagging a bit behind on my challenges this month, so I really don't want to do the option where we all read the same book. I'm currently going through the list and seeing what books I have yet to read will fit where.

Thanks to Logan's inspiration of Belle in her yellow ballgown, the only name I'm coming up with is The Yellow Belles.

Any word on who wants to Captain the team? With me being new to the challenge, I definitely don't think I am up to the task!

message 17: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "Just to clarify, we need to select a book for each song, so we're ready when the mods announce the song of the week, correct?"

If you want to get all your "ducks in a row" (organized), feel free to find a book for each song, then you'll be read to start reading on Sunday. Otherwise, fly by the seat of your pants. Totally up to you.

message 18: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Trea, yes, you may do either a group read or a single read. No one should feel any pressure to read the same book as everyone else on their Team. You don't get any extra points for all reading the same book.

Your Co-Captains are Becky & Chris.

message 19: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Dancing Queen wrote: "Trea, yes, you may do either a group read or a single read. No one should feel any pressure to read the same book as everyone else on their Team. You don't get any extra points for all reading th..."

Thanks for the clarification, Dancing Queen!

message 20: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments Dancing Queen wrote: "Chris wrote: "BTW can one book in one category score more than one type of points? I.e. can it match Name, Title and something else?"

Chris, the Mods discussed it, since we did it one way for the..."

I'm not sure I understand this. Are there more than one category? Do you mean that we pick Setting OR Name OR Plot, etc.?

I'm new so this is probably a dumb question. :P

message 21: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Logan, by category, we mean Rule #8:
8. Individual points that the players would accrue through the competition each week:
    (by link to song)
Shelf = 1 point - (only the shelf linked under that week's song counts)
Cover = 2 points - (item on the cover links to the title, video clip or lyrics)
Plot = 3 points - (one of the plot points links to the song)
Title = 4 points - (song title & book title have matching key words {i.e. not a preposition})
Name = 5 points - (first or last name of author, artist or character matches)
Setting = 6 points - (first published date matches release date or place matches lyrics)
So, if you had two words that matched in the title, you would only get points for one. Or two character names that matched the members in the band, you'd only get points for one match.

Got it?

message 22: by Chris (last edited Jan 22, 2015 06:04PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments Dancing Queen wrote: "Logan, by category, we mean Rule #8:8. Individual points that the players would accrue through the competition each week:
    (by link to song)Shelf = 1 point - (only the shelf linked under that w..."

ONe more question. By setting, how specific do we have to be? Could a fantasy world be a setting, or does it need to be a specific location? Can a particular room, the country or a generic city be a setting?

message 23: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments You have to be specific . The fantasy world setting depends on the specifics of the book and the song . Generally you need to have reference to a city ,a state , a country or a planet to be able to use it for the setting point. Or you can find other things in the song to relate to a book setting .For instance if it's scifi, a spaceship would be the setting but for fantasy it would be the whole fantasy world. For a frontier romance it would be an unsettled area.
Keep in mind for a setting to be acceptable most of the action should take place in that setting .

Have a look at this post

Does this answer your question ?

message 24: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jan 22, 2015 07:08PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments This might help. Here is the book I found for one of our songs this week:

WEEK #1:
Song: ♬"I See Fire" - Ed Sheeran (2013)

Book Title:Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews

Potential Points:
Cover: Fire in background = 2 points.
Plot: Villain can set anyone and anything on fire = 3 points.

Highest Potential Points: 3 Points

The Mods will verify that all the points match...I'm not 100% if the setting works in this case, but I'm crossing my fingers. ; ) This is just one book that may or may not get chosen for the week.

message 25: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jan 22, 2015 06:58PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments I'm new to this challenge, too, but LK sent me to the Round 2 Team Threads and it REALLY helped to see how the other teams organized their play.

Check out any of the R2 Teams HERE SEE ShoSho's post below!

I'll look at the other songs tonight and come up with a few options.

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "I'm new to this challenge, too, but LK sent me to the Round 2 Team Threads and it REALLY helped to see how the other teams organized their play.

Check out any of the R2 Teams HERE"

We are doing things differently this round , Becky . I'll be back with the correct points . Give me a few minutes.

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Song: ♬"I See Fire" - Ed Sheeran (2013)

Book Title:Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews

Points Breakdown:
Cover: Fire in background = 2 points.
Plot: Villain can set anyone and anything on fire = 3 points.
Setting not acceptable

Highest point for this book is 3 points for the plot .

message 28: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jan 22, 2015 06:59PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Okay, no problem. I'll edit accordingly. Thanks, Shosho!

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments You can read any of the books by J.R.R. Tolkien that take place in that word to get the setting point.

message 30: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jan 22, 2015 07:09PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Got it! So we can only chose ONE option: (in this case) Cover or Plot, correct? I figured Setting was a stretch. Title must exact match? "Burn" vs. "I see Fire."

My life just got SOOOO much easier! LOL!

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments We need books that has the words "I" "see" or "Fire" for the title point.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Great! Thanks for clearing that up, ShoSho. I think I have it now...knock on wood. By the 2nd week it'll be a snap. : )

message 33: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments No problem ,Becky :)

message 34: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jan 22, 2015 07:25PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Okay Groovin' Team! Here is what we have for team names so far. Throw your ideas in the ring so we have a fun list to choose from!

The Yellow Belles
The Mellow Yellows
Team Yellowstone

message 35: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (last edited Jan 23, 2015 04:01AM) (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "This might help. Here is the book I found for one of our songs this week:

WEEK #1:
Song: ♬"I See Fire" - Ed Sheeran (2013)
Book Title:Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews...

I came up with a few choices for this. The one I am going for is Fire Inside for a title match, however the lyrics also go "I see fire, inside the mountain...", so the mods would have to make a judgement call for me. Other choices I came up with were Born of Fire, for the fire on the cover and Born In Fire, for the potential title key word match of the word fire.

The one song I am truly dreading is Angels, as it took me over an hour to find a book in my planned list to actually match it! And it's not a really ideal match either...

message 36: by Chris (last edited Jan 23, 2015 11:41AM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments A couple of other names:

The Yellow (book) Jackets
The Yellow Pages

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Hey, I really like Yellow Book Jackets! That's snazzy! Here's our choices so far:

The Yellow Belles
The Mellow Yellows
Team Yellowstone
The Yellow (book) Jackets
The Yellow Pages

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Trea...I'm struggling with the Angels one, too. I got busy last night and didn't get to research the other songs, so guess what I'm doing this afternoon? LOL!

I'm DYING to read Burn for Me. I'm going to read it anyway, but why not read it for a challenge, right? Hehe!

On a side note, I'm super stoked! Finally got my new computer ordered! It'll be here early next week and I can retire my Mac G5. It's only 12 years old. I'll actually be able to use Google Docs and look at YouTube videos and run Facebook again! WOOOHOOO! It's the little things that make me smile.

Happy Friday!

message 39: by Chris (last edited Jan 23, 2015 12:06PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "Trea...I'm struggling with the Angels one, too. I got busy last night and didn't get to research the other songs, so guess what I'm doing this afternoon? LOL!

I'm DYING to read Burn for Me..."</i>

Oooh. [book:Burn for Me
looks good. I have that on my TBR, too.

Congrats on the new computer!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Thanks, Chris! We've been saving forever! It'll be great to catch up with the times!

message 41: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments I like Yellow (book) Jackets too!

message 42: by Chris (last edited Jan 23, 2015 01:36PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments Just a thought on strategy.... We have a pretty good choice of books if we go to the published year. I just did a couple of searches on Listopia and found lots.

If I understand the rules properly we can only use one category and the setting /(pub. date) gets us 6 points.

Another question for mods: If one were to read "Republic of Thieves" by Scott Lynch would it count for the "Name" (One Republic)category? Also, would "Angela" count for "Angel"?

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Hi Chris! I just finished lining out options for each song and the Setting/publication date was pretty easy to find. I made that my first search and went from there since it's a good point ranking.

I'm curious what the mods say about Republic of Thieves and Angela vs. Angel.

Mods: I've found a book for "Angels". Using the cover option, I'm looking at The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda Stevens , but it's only ONE angel, not plural "angels." Is that acceptable? I do have a backup book based on another category if this won't work.

Bear with me as I figure this out! Next week I won't ask so many yes/no questions for potential books and will wait until the weekly song is picked. I'm starting to get the swing of it and it's pretty cool! : )

message 44: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 136 comments I agree Chris. I think pub date and title will be easiest for me to sort out, and those are high points.

message 45: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jan 23, 2015 02:06PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Dancing Queen will post an example soon. You'll get a cheat sheet for this week to help you find books.

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments I learned of a new author named "Alanis" (Knight) - looks like paranormal sort of stuff. Would give 5 pts for the 3rd song. Found lots for authors names just with a simple search.

message 47: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

We mods have discussed it and decided you may choose two (2) categories from which to accumulate points.

Still, within each category you will only get one match. So, if you have two names that match two in the the "name" category, you would only get five (5) points, not ten (10).

EXAMPLE ONLY. Player Review & Points

♬ Week 1 Song: "The Safety Dance" - Men Without Hats (1982)
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Book: A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby
Rating: ★★★★★
Finished: Jan. 27, 2015
Review: This was an unexpected surprise. The cover doesn't do the book any favours but once I started reading, the characters hooked me right in. I'm not usually a fan of the suicide attempts, but this book broke the mold and pulled at the heartstrings. Love the bonding of the characters.
*Link: SHELF - Humorous
*Names: Ivan & Colin

Individual points for this player:
[shelf (1) + names (5)] = 6

message 48: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Chris, we are discussing your post.

message 49: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Dancing Queen RLftCI | 678 comments Becky, one angel is fine.

message 50: by Dancing Queen, Special Projects: Team Challenges (new)

Posting Questions

We don't want to miss your questions, and we don't want other Teams to miss our answers. Therefore, please post your questions to the Mods in the R3: ♬ 1, 2, 3 Step or HOW TO PLAY thread. Thank you!

P.S. You may certainly continue to post your questions to your Captains in your Team threads.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9