What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA/Children's title about a Blind Girl and horses

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments I'm looking for a book I read around 1996-2003. It was a physical book, possibly a hardcover, I discovered in the children's area of the library. The book was aimed at kids aged 10-18. The story was about a recently blind girl who was upset with her parents for sending her to a blind camp. I think I recall she went blind after an accident where she hit the back of her head on a balance beam while doing gymnastics. She meets a boy at the camp who teaches her how to live as a blind person. There are horses at the camp and she befriends one particular horse named "AT&T" or some other variation of these letters. I can't remember any more. I appreciate any information. This has bugged me for years!

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments Thanks, but it's not any of those. I've done some research and discovered a movie called "breaking free" (1995) which has a similar plot to the book I read, but I can't find any mention that it was based on a book.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments The book was not a movie tie-in.

message 5: by Liralen (last edited Jan 23, 2015 10:54AM) (new)

Liralen | 712 comments Hmm now I'm curious. Neither of these looks quite right, but just in case:

Wild Horse Summer
A Horse Called Blackberry

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments It's not those either, but now my TBR pile is growing!

message 7: by Avaminn (new)

Avaminn F'nett (dawnflower8) | 39 comments Diablo: Days of Darkness is a YA book involving a girl who goes blind and a horse but it's probably not right. It's also a late book in a series.

message 8: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
time period/location story takes place?
Were there other activities at the camp (swimming, hiking, arts and crafts, etc)?

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments I can't remember the cover. As far as I know it was not part of a series. I don't recall activities of the camp, but I seem to remember a scene where the main boy is showing the girl how to eat by herself and when he was showing her how to pour juice, he told her to place her finger on the rim of the cup and then pour.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Does anything in the Keystone Stables series by Marsha Hubler look familiar?
https://www.goodreads.com/series/1009...

Do you remember anything else about her family?
What the location of the camp?

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments No, nothing there looks familiar. I can't recall anything else about her family or the camp. The books was a hardcover approx. 8" high by 5.5" wide and 1/2"-1" thick. I don't know the page count, but I it should be around 200-400 pages.

message 13: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Mystery at Camp Triumph is similar but don't think it has the details you mentioned apart from horses and recent accident causing blindness.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments No, none of these are it.

message 15: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Katie was it new or an older book at the time you read it?

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments I'm not certain. My library removes books that have not circulated in 12 months so it must have been receiving some attention. I'm thinking it was published after 1994, but again, I'm not positive.

message 17: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments I'll search later. Thought I knew the blind camp stories. Have you checked the books on LibraryThing with the tag blind--fiction

message 18: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Do you recall what country it's set in? Terminology used? Eg blind, legally blind, was a long cane used? Was she completely blind?

message 19: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Listing books with a blind character at camp:

I'm Lucky I Can Read In The Dark : A Teen Camp Story Of Guts And Goals
by Alex J. Goldman (PublishAmerica Inc., 2000. Marc and his seeing-eye dog King.)

Bright Morning by Jan Hathaway
(Sharon Publications, Incorporated, 1964. Laura Gray, camp counselor, must take care of a girl who's blind.)

Stevie's Other Eyes by Lois Eddy McDonnell (Friendship Press, 1962. Six year old Stevie moved to a new place, attended school, camp, etc.)

A Horse Called Blackberry by JoAnne Chitwood Nowack (Review and Herald Publishing Association, 1996. Seven campers who were blind, horses, religion.)

Summer Of Discovery by Eric Wilson (Collins, 1984. Camp for children with various disabilities, minor characters with blindness.)

Mystery At Camp Triumph by Mary Blount Christian (Albert Whitman & Company, 1986. Angie was recently blinded by car accident, attended a summer camp for disabled children.)

Still haven't come up with the answer...

message 20: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Breaking Free was also released as A Leap of Faith. Both are on DVD, that will be interesting to watch...

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments It was in the USA. She was completely blind.

message 22: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Haven't forgotten about this, just need more time to search. You'd think it would be easy to find if blindness and camp were the main part of the story.

message 23: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Noting for my info.

A summer to grow on
By Paula Montgomery
Pacific Press Pub. Association, 1991 - Juvenile

message 24: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments http://www.horsecrazygirls.com/breaki...
A review for Breaking Free mentions the balance beam. You're sure it is a book?

message 25: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Paul has a summer job
Michel Rabagliati - From School Library Journal. Adult/High School-In 1979, Paul, 18, lands an unexpected job at a camp for underprivileged ... fears and the reality of shepherding a blind child through camp experiences.

Another camp, blind book.

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments I'm sure it was a book, I've never seen the movie. Perhaps it's just one of those books that's just meant to remain a memory and never be reread. Thanks for looking.

message 27: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Katie, did you move this to Query Abandoned? We don't normally do that if the original poster (you) is still actively posting. As long as you want to find the book, it makes sense to leave the thread in Unsolved.

message 28: by bookel (last edited Feb 25, 2015 05:44AM) (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Sorry didn't get notified of your reply. I'm still searching most days so please keep in UNSOLVED. Don't give up so easily! I'm partway through Breaking Free. Great movie! The girl definitely hit her head in the balance beam when she dismounted. Maybe watching the movie would trigger your memory for other clues you could write here. For instance, was the boy she met at camp a counsellor or a boy who's blind? Does she use a cane?

message 29: by Lia (new)

Lia Marcoux | 20 comments This is not ticking all the boxes, but "blind" and "horses" reminded me of Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, the 1991 film, which was based on the memoir: A Girl and Five Brave Horses. Almost certainly not it, but the movie was a good one (I haven't read the memoir). Good luck! : )

message 30: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Same Lia, have seen the movie but not read the memoir. It's great, as is the film Can You Feel Me Dancing? Though don't think that's on DVD sadly. I'm still searching for the book in question.

message 31: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Willow King: Race the Wind! by Chris Platt. Not this one. Lost sight due to riding accident.

message 32: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments New book at the time or older?
Cherished Wish by Melody Carlson mentions blind, camp, but doesn't appear to be a match.

message 33: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Another horse, blindness and camp story, but may not be it as it's only 24 pages.

A Pony Named Midnight by Susan Taylor Brown.

message 34: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments Maybe, Taking the Lead Taking the Lead (Sweet Dreams Special, #4) by Deborah Kent ?
Shelley Sayers is devasted when the doctors tell her she will never see again. But then two different boys come into her life. One encourages her to get back into the swing of activities at school, while the other urges Shelley to try her hobby of mountain climbing again. Shelley must learn for herself which boy really has her best interests at heart.

message 35: by Kris (new)

Katie, are you still looking for this book or did you find it?

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie Kipe (katiekipe) | 1 comments Still looking, it's none of the above. Great suggestions though!

message 37: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Yeah, not Taking the Lead, it is an excellent story though. Katie are you sure you aren't mixing details from a film and the book Mystery at Camp Triumph? It's maddening I can't find it, I spent ages looking again this evening. Keywords aren't bringing up any similar stories.

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan (suzy87) | 3 comments I remember watching a movie about a girl hitting her head on the the end of a balance beam because of the camera flashes or something like that. I didn't read it in a book.

message 39: by Kris (new)

Moved this request back to the Unsolved folder.

message 40: by Kris (last edited Sep 14, 2016 08:37PM) (new)

message 41: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments I think with Mystery at Camp Triumph the cause was a car accident. It's frustrating as I haven't found any other books close, even when searching. Which country was it set in?