Mock Caldecott 2022 discussion

The Farmer and the Clown
This topic is about The Farmer and the Clown
Mock Caldecott - 2015 > 2015 Mock Caldecott Award Winner

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 255 comments Mod
The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee won our 2015 Caldecott award.

Do you think it has a real shot at winning the real award now?

message 2: by Kristen (last edited Jan 22, 2015 08:25AM) (new)

You can vote for your pick for a 2015 honor book at the following link:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 378 comments I sure hope so. I really love Frazee's illustration style.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Draw! by Raúl Colón Draw! by Raúl Colón won our honor award by one vote over The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend and only 2 votes over Sam and Dave Dig a Hole. It was a very close finish.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

It's tempting to put Beekle and Sam and Dave as Mock 2015 honor books as well. Any objections?

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nfinchy) | 2 comments Kristen wrote: "The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee won our 2015 Caldecott award.

Do you think it has a real shot at winning th..."

Yes, I think it does. The more I look at it, the better it gets. Her pacing, clean lines, artistic skill, and the way Frazee engages our emotions all point to a winner (to me!)

Niki (Daydream Reader) | 42 comments Beekle + Sam and Dave are my two favorites! :) So I wouldn't object!

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 4 comments I ran Mock Caldecotts with 4 (Kdg-3rd grade) groups -- total of nearly 200 children -- results:

"The Adventures of Beekle: An Unimaginary Friend" stands out -- every class chose it - two as a winner and two as an honor book. "Neighborhood Sharks" and "Gaston" each scored one winner & one honor. "Little Elliot, Big City" scored two honors. Other honor books were: "Bad Bye, Good Bye" "Blizzard" "Eye to Eye: How Animals See the World" "Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads" "Louise Loves Art" and "My Teacher is a Monster."

Carol Simon Levin carolsimonlevin.blogspot.com

message 9: by Tberry (new)

Tberry | 1 comments Kristen wrote: "It's tempting to put Beekle and Sam and Dave as Mock 2015 honor books as well. Any objections?"

No objections here! They are both fantastic!

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 378 comments No objections

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol | 4 comments Ran one more Mock Caldecott today (a thoughtful and articulate group of 4th graders) - their choices were: GASTON for the gold, LITTLE ELLIOT, BIG CITY and ADVENTURES OF BEEKLE for the honors.

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Ferry (librarygarden) | 79 comments Our Mock wrapped up today and Beekle was the medal winner with The Farmer and the Clown and Sparky! taking the honors. This year was my first year running the Mock. It was great fun and I'd like to expand it next year. It was only possible because of our local public library helping acquire extra copies of our 12 titles. I can't wait to watch the ALA awards on Monday in my jammies!!

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (becky_nelson) | 8 comments My 30 3rd graders choose Quest as their winner. Honors are Draw!, Sam and Dave Dig a Hole, & Neighborhood Sharks!

message 14: by Francesca (new)

Francesca Mellin | 4 comments Our 3rd grade Mock Caldecott winner was The Adventures of Beekle (we don't award Honor books). We have a snow day today so the kids will be psyched to get the double-good news tomorrow!

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Ferry (librarygarden) | 79 comments My kids were thrilled with the Beekle win after the Seahawk loss yesterday. The ALA award announcements are helping me get through the day!