Book Lair discussion

Monthly Reads > February 2015

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana (anaslair) | 2312 comments Mod
February is the smallest month of the year! How many books are you planning to read? Any in particular?

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty I'd be happy with 2 because I'm really not a fast reader at all and I tend to get into slumps easily.

I'm trying to read at least one book a week but don't want to put too much pressure on doing that because it takes the enjoyment out of it.

message 3: by Ana (new)

Most definitely, Kirsty. That's why a lot of people don't even throw a number in the GoodReads challenge, because of that pressure. I regret setting my number to 100, for some reason I did the math wrong and thought that would amount to 5 books per month, and instead it's 8 *blush*
Oh well, lucky for me even short stories count as books xD

Anyway.. back to topic. I am not sure what I will be reading in february just yet. It will depend if anyone wants to do buddy reads with me. So far no one has posted wanting to do one with me in the topic https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I plan on reading A Clockwork Orange as a buddy read here and The Namesake for the library book club I'm in.

Other than those two I'm not sure.

message 5: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments After the book I am currently reading (Death of a River Guide), I'll start A Clockwork Orange. I am expecting to finish my current book sometime this week-end, so I should be on time for the buddy read, around the 1st February.

Then, I am planning in order:
The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead Bald New World by Peter Tieryas

I have to read The Man Who Loved Children for another group read first, but Ana, if you want, I can join you for a buddy read of Bald New World afterward.

Although I have to warn you, with the coming Chinese New Year in February, my planning is going to be really hectic. So what I can suggest is just to plan the buddy read sometime at the end of February, and I'll join and add my comment whenever I can. Even if I read the book when I don't have a computer available for discussing it, I can come back later, whenever possible, to the discussion and throw in my opinion.

It might therefore not be really synchronous, but at least we'll be able to discuss the book.

Is that fine with you?

message 6: by Ana (last edited Jan 27, 2015 11:44AM) (new)

I answered you in the Set up buddy reads topic, thanks for suggesting it!

Hmm I may read all 3 Chimera books I got from netgalley during february:

Chimera Book One by Phil Gomm Chimera Book One by Phil Gomm
Chimera Book Two by Phil Gomm Chimera Book Two by Phil Gomm
Chimera Book Three by Phil Gomm Chimera Book Three by Phil Gomm

Either that or

The 100 (The Hundred, #1) by Kass Morgan and Day 21 (The Hundred, #2) by Kass Morgan

I feel like doing a series, go figure.

I might also go for Elora of Stone by Jaime Lee Mann Elora of Stone.

All are Netgalley books. But I obviously will not have time for all. I will most likely skip the first 3 and only do the last 3.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I keep wanting to revisit The Dark Tower series so hope to get to The Gunslinger but goodness knows how easily I am derailed.

message 8: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 110 comments Planning to read these:
Doctor Zhivago
Madame Bovary
Revival
Agnes Grey
Jacob's Room
Little Men
Jo's Boys

I think too many, but I thought the same in January, but I ended up making it.

message 9: by Ana (new)

Ooh, that's quite the list, especially for such a short month!

I have decided to past on the Chimera trilogy for now. I want to read at least the last three I mentioned in my previous post, then we'll see. I'll probably try and find a horror book in my netgalley list to give it a change from fantasy/sci-fi.

message 10: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments OK, I'm adding a book to my list, between A Clockwork Orange and The Man Who Loved Children, which should give me a final reading plan of:

A Clockwork Orange  by Anthony Burgess Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead Bald New World by Peter Tieryas

It might overflow onto March, but that's fine.

message 11: by Ana (new)

Oh right, I had totally forgotten about Bald New World, we're supposed to do a buddy read of that eheh. Everyone's welcome to join us, the date isn't set yet.

message 12: by Ana (last edited Feb 05, 2015 07:09AM) (new)

My updated list for February:

The 100 (The Hundred, #1) by Kass Morgan The 100 by Kass Morgan

Day 21 (The Hundred, #2) by Kass Morgan Day 21 by Kass Morgan

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Bald New World by Peter Tieryas Bald New World by Peter Tieryas

And maybe either Emissary by Chris Rogers Emissary by Chris Rogers or Seed by Lisa Heathfield Seed by Lisa Heathfield

I will probably read one or two short stories some time, books less than 100 pages I have on my Kindle or Kobo app - most likely after I am done with the current book Day 21. They will probably be horror ones, I feel like I need a break from the current type of books I have been reading. Clockwork Orange will surely be refreshing, I would have never even bought such a book if it weren't for you guys.

message 13: by Melaslithos (last edited Feb 05, 2015 09:24AM) (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments A Clockwork Orange is a classic of dystopia genre. Since you love this genre, I'm pretty sure you would have come to it one day or the other.

I have been having it on my reading list for ages. I admit I have been a bit hesitant to pick it up, but Kandice enthusiasm made it for me. And I regret not reading it earlier.

message 14: by Katy (last edited Feb 09, 2015 02:14PM) (new)

Katy (katysaunders) | 3 comments I'm proud to say I've finished 3 books this month so far :) Technically one was started January 29th but finished February 2nd so I'm counting it. The other books I have read are all less than 400 pages though. The rest of this month I hope to read the whole of the Infernal Devices trilogy which arrived today and I am SUPER excited about, and if I have time, These Broken Stars.

This month I have already read:
Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
Ask The Passengers by A.S. King

I'm hoping to finish:
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Katy wrote: "I'm proud to say I've finished 3 books this month so far :) Technically one was started January 29th but finished February 2nd so I'm counting it. The other books I have read are all less than 400 ..."

Nice list!

message 16: by Ana (new)

So, February. Quite a productive month it would seem, at least the first 2/3.

I read:

The 100 (The Hundred, #1) by Kass Morgan The 100 by Kass Morgan

Day 21 (The Hundred, #2) by Kass Morgan Day 21 by Kass Morgan

A Gift of Ghosts (Tassamara #1) by Sarah Wynde A Gift of Ghosts by Sarah Wynde

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Raising Riley by Brick Marlin Raising Riley by Brick Marlin

Shadow Out of the Sky (Transitional Delusions #1) by Brick Marlin Shadow Out of the Sky by Brick Marlin

Seed by Lisa Heathfield Seed by Lisa Heathfield

Emissary (Legends of the Realm, #1) by Thomas Locke Emissary by Thomas Locke

Crystallum (Save the Queen, #1) by Michael Alexander Crystallum: by Michael Alexander

message 17: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments And you put up your blog!
Where are you finding so much time to do all this! I'm impressed.

For my part, if you count in number of books, I was actually quite productive, but most of them where very short reads. So actually, my page count is not that great.

Here's my final tally:
A Clockwork Orange  by Anthony Burgess Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky Is a Worry Worrying You? by Ferida Wolff Trees, Vol. 1 (Trees #1) by Warren Ellis The Pullman Porter by Vanita Oelschlager

message 18: by Kandice (last edited Feb 27, 2015 09:56AM) (new)

Kandice I’ve been feeling as if I’ve been in a slump because I’ve been at the hospital so much and find it impossible to read there, but surprisingly I’ve read quite a few. :D

Doctor Who: Engines of War
Authors vs. Goodreads
A Clockwork Orange
The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse
Cinder
The Reformed Vampire Support Group
The Namesake

message 19: by Ana (new)

Alas, I wish I didn't have that much time, it would mean I actually had a proper job. Several of those were short reads though, so not that impressive :)

Hey, we all have one book in common eheh

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think I am going to read The 100 in March. I bought it recently and you liked it well enough to continue the series.

message 21: by Ana (new)

Yeah well they were both free on netgalley xD
It's nice, just very teenagery.
I'm not spending money on the third book, though.

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ana wrote: "Yeah well they were both free on netgalley xD
It's nice, just very teenagery.
I'm not spending money on the third book, though."

LOL, thanks for the tip! There are quite a few YA series that I have begin and then felt slipped enough after the first installment not to care about continuing.

message 23: by Ana (new)

True, but it's extra hard when there's cliffhangers, I kinda wanted to know what happens nextm just not enough to spend money on it :P

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ana wrote: "True, but it's extra hard when there's cliffhangers, I kinda wanted to know what happens nextm just not enough to spend money on it :P"

I know exactly what you mean, which is why I am happy I have teenagers and can just ask them (or one of their friends) to summarize!

message 25: by Ana (new)

Ahah let me know how it turns out then!
I am guessing that (view spoiler), not sure what happens beyond that, everyone will probably end up living happily ever after xD

message 26: by Julia (last edited Mar 01, 2015 01:46PM) (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Feb 2015 Reads

3. Cancel the Wedding by Carolyn T. Dingman Cancel the Wedding - my review - 02.07.15 - 3/5 - chick-lit
4. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah 4. The Nightingale - my review - 02.09.15 - 5/5 - historic fiction WWII
5. Obsession in Death (In Death, #40) by J.D. Robb Obsession in Death - my review - 02.14.15 - 4/5 - mystery-romance
6. Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult Leaving Time - my review - 02.16.15 - 5/5 womens fiction
7. One Man's Wilderness An Alaskan Odyssey by Sam Keith One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey - my review - 02.26.15 - 5/5 - non-fiction memoir

New Authors: Carolyn T. Dingman, Richard L. Proenneke
Female Authors: Carolyn T Dingman, Kristin Hannah, J.D. Robb, Jodi Picoult
Male Authors: Richard L. Proenneke
Debut: Cancel The Wedding
New Series:

Favorite of Month: The Nightingale
Least Fave of Month: Cancel The Wedding
Biggest Surprise of Month: One Man's Wilderness

Poems I've Read 02-2015
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 27: by Ana (new)

Nice!
I really like how you classify what you read, Julia.

message 28: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Thanks Ana, I can't take credit though. I borrowed the format from another group I belong to.