Modern Book Collecting discussion

Childrens Books > Harry Potter

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Merrill | 23 comments A couple of years ago I found a first printing copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. If you're looking for these, you already know every Harry Potter book says First Edition, so you need to know a fair amount of points to find one. I sold that one for $450 on Ebay. I thought for sure that would be my only one. A couple of weeks ago, I found another one. It came out of the same Good Will store as the first. This one is in much better shape. I estimate it's value around $1000. So, I will continue to look at every one I find. There are still finds of this sort out there. Given the difficulty in identifying one, I suspect most people who own one gave no idea they have one.

message 2: by JDB (last edited Jan 28, 2015 07:07AM) (new)

JDB | 154 comments Mod
Here's a little something.

http://youtu.be/tuN-z9aM3hU

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) | 297 comments Mod
JDB wrote: "Here's a little something.

http://youtu.be/tuN-z9aM3hU"

OH, Now that is a hard edition to find. The first UK edition has to be the HOLY GRAIL of all the Potter books.

message 4: by Misty (new)

Misty (miste2blue) | 3 comments Anyone hear anything about the upcoming New version of the Harry Potter series with drawings in color by Jim Kay? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on what the book will look like from a cover standpoint.....I'm hoping that they make a nicer collectible version.....but somehow I highly doubt it. Any thoughts?

What about the slipcover collectors edition that they will release next week? That one looks promising!

message 5: by Kevin (last edited Jan 31, 2015 05:55PM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) | 297 comments Mod
Misty wrote: "Anyone hear anything about the upcoming New version of the Harry Potter series with drawings in color by Jim Kay? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on what the book will look like from a cove..."

There's been a bunch of collectible editions released. The question is, how many are being circulated? The scarcity of the item will draw the money along with the popularity of the product on the open market.

I would be more inclined to hunt for the true first edition / first printings, but that's always been my thing. I like the original prints.

There is no wrong or right way to collect, whatever you desire to own, go for it. It should be about what you love, and not the monetary value, when all is said and done. If you find the books desirable, go for it.

message 6: by David (new)

David Merrill | 23 comments Thanks much for the link. I have to admit, living in the U.S. The UK first is so much a Holy Grail, it isn't even on my radar. And I sure don't have a few hundred grand lying around to buy one. I prefer the U. s. 1st printing from a book hunter's standpoint. It's just a needle in a haystack. By comparison, I have a real shot at success. I will keep an eye open for the young Dumbledore, though. That makes it really easy to recognize, where the U. S. 1st is a little less obvious.