Goodreads Singapore discussion

talking about books > What books do primary school children like?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 22 comments I'm trying to get an idea of the range of books that primary school children enjoy. Apart from the G. Stilton books that seem to be topping charts week after week, are there any other books our young readers enjoy?

message 2: by Lim (new)

Lim Sue Qin | 2 comments I cannot remember much of what I read in primary school (just that I did read a lot)!

However, I would probably recommend the Wishing Chair series by Enid Blyton as a start. I remember enjoying it very much.

Books by Roald Dahl are good as well. George's Marvellous Medicine was funny. The Witches was interesting as well!

Apparently, my brother used to like the Percy Jackson series too when he was younger.

message 3: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Chua (joycechuawrites) | 3 comments Justine wrote: "I'm trying to get an idea of the range of books that primary school children enjoy. Apart from the G. Stilton books that seem to be topping charts week after week, are there any other books our you..."

Anything by Roald Dahl, Beverly Cleary, Eva Ibbotson, Diana Wynne Jones, and Enid Blyton.

Also, the Harry Potter series, The Doomspell trilogy by Cliff McNish, and all the Nancy Drew books.

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart, The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood, Wildwood by Colin Meloy, Drift House by Dale Peck.

message 4: by ah li (new)

ah li Encyclopedia Brown Series, Boxcar Children, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys series

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments My daughter enjoys these local series: Ellie Belly, Robozonic, Sherlock Sam, Danger Dan, Diary of Amos Lee.

message 6: by Jess, Founder (new)

Jess (thereadingpublic) | 52 comments Mod
I read a lot of Enid Blyton. We got a reading list in P4 of excellent books for younger readers - can't remember what, unfortunstely. i read encyclopaedias - the condensed illustrated kinds. (DK has a great one called the Explore or something.) Lots of DK Eyewitness books. I don't remember specifically going for books marketed at children, like the Stilton series (they weren't out back then anyway, but my brother liked them when he was younger). I'd wander the kids' section and select books at random that looked appealing.

message 7: by Jess, Founder (new)

Jess (thereadingpublic) | 52 comments Mod
Artemis Fowl and Harry Potter definitely.

message 8: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Liang | 1 comments For girls, the Tracy Beaker series by Jacqueline Wilson is good.

I'm reading some of the classics with my daughter (now P5) - she won't read on her own but she likes to have them read to her.....Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, What Katy Did, Ballet Shoes

message 9: by Zhang (new)

Zhang | 3 comments Anything, but Enid Blyton. She wrote her books in the 1950s, so they are old-fashioned and politically incorrect.

DreamWorks released "How to train a dragon 2" last year, so act quickly before the child loses interest. Get "How to Train Your Dragon" series by British author Cressida Cowell.

message 10: by David (new)

David Fhu | 6 comments My girl(P5) is reading Harry Potter.

message 11: by Loveawesomebooks (new)

Loveawesomebooks | 3 comments Back when I was primary school I really enjoyed the goddess girls series and the magic tree House

message 12: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (Gabby411) | 1 comments There are still many kids who like Enid blyton

message 13: by Aw (new)

Aw (meaw27) | 2 comments I found Django Wexler's Forbidden Library series to be very engaging and age-appropriate for primary school kids interested in fantasy.

The Forbidden Library

Jonathan Stroud's Lockwood & Co. is pretty good as well (nice mix of horror and humor), if a tad dark for kids not into the supernatural themes

The Screaming Staircase

for kids into Enid Blyton/mystery style books, Robin Stevens is a good choice, with a mystery series starring a Hong Kong Chinese girl in England, pre-World War 2

Murder Most Unladylike