Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
Group Read Books - archive > The Girl on the Train - General No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments No spoilers on this general discussion topic please; are you planning to read The Girl on the Train?
Feel free to comment in general without spoilers on this thread for our Feb-2015 Group Read book.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments Yes, I am planning to read it as soon as my copy comes in from the library. I'm guessing a couple of weeks.

message 3: by Ann (last edited Jan 21, 2015 11:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Since the chapters are not numbered and are called alternately Anna, Rachel or Megan in a random pattern we may find it hard to break the book up into more than one or two threads and a final summary. I can at least separate the first nine chapters up to the first Anna one, after that we may be left with 29 chapters under one topic... we'll see.
I have the audio ready to go, it will probably be a couple of weeks before I get to it too.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I couldn't escape this book this past week. One newsletter I got said it's a must read. I went on ew.com and they're saying it's the new Gone Girl- though, to be honest, I didn't care for Gone Girl- so I'm psyched to read this!

Sherry  | 3619 comments definitely planning on reading this one.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments Ann, I wonder if you could do it by page numbers? I looked on Amazon and the "look inside" feature is available, if you don't have a print copy in front of you. I think 29 chapters in one thread will be a little challenging.

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I just finished this book, and wow!!! Lots to discuss! I think it goes back and forth between Megan and Rachel for each chapter and then Anna breaks in. That might be a good grouping?

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments I don't have a print copy, Carol. If someone wants to suggest page number breaks (or see the other suggestion below) for the chapters starting with the first Anna chapter that may work for another couple of breaks.
I used the Kindle look inside the book to view the chapters and saw there was too random a pattern of the three female names. There are dates under them though that will probably work better if someone has a copy of the hardback.

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments I'll see what I can come up with later tonight. I was thinking of you, Liz, when I started the topics last night after I saw you finished it. ;)

message 10: by LizH (new) - rated it 5 stars

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I think what you already have should work. Can't wait for everyone else to read this!!

message 11: by LizH (new) - rated it 5 stars

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I think what you already have should work. Can't wait for everyone else to read this!!

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments So I made an attempt to have four chapter segments, about right for a 38 chapter novel using previous group reads as a guide. Segment one is the first nine nine chapters, segment four is the last nine chapters. The break points in the middle are still very squishy.
I am thinking whoever posts first on the four topics can add enough of a summary of what they think it entails to guide us! Hope this works!

Donnajo | 3535 comments I was able to find a copy of the book don't know when I can squeeze it in. Still trying to get back to gray mountain

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments Thanks, Ann. Don't know when my copy will come through, but if I'm first in I will summarize...

Ann wrote: "So I made an attempt to have four chapter segments, about right for a 38 chapter novel using previous group reads as a guide. Segment one is the first nine nine chapters, segment four is the last n..."

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

The Girl on the Train is $6.11 on Google Play Store! Just got it!

Michelle (couchnest) I am reading it right now. When does it have to be read by to participate in the discussion?

Michelle (couchnest) I am reading it right now. When does it have to be read by to participate in the discussion?

message 18: by LizH (new) - rated it 5 stars

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Michelle, any time! I just finished Revival and that was discussed several months ago, but I still added my thoughts. I also just finished TGOTT, and will be adding my thoughts soon. So, please, feel free to add your thought at any time!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

On sale for Kindle too, FYI. :)

message 20: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments I started the audio today, then grabbed a Kindle copy too since it is on sale. Thanks for the heads up!
Christina wrote: "On sale for Kindle too, FYI. :)"

message 21: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 1342 comments Thanks for telling us. I got it for my Kindle.

message 22: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 1270 comments Just got it too. I'll start it next, after I finish Alone.

Michelle (couchnest) I'm new to this, so is there a special thread/place to post thoughts? I just finished it last night. Btw, I am reading Revival at work right now. It's pretty good. Better than I anticipated.

♣Tessa♣ | 16 comments I'm thinking of using one of my Audible credits on the audio version.
(I have Kindle Unlimited so I am getting stingy with buying books when there are so many good free ones there. LOL).

message 25: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Michelle: this is a link to the folder where the threads to comment have been set up. There are four topics for groups of the chapters and one for final comments.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...
If you are able to comment on topic 1 I have summarized the first nine chapters. I am in the middle of the second section group of chapters now. I look forward to your comments!!

Cecelia/Ceil (ceil0614) | 41 comments Glad to see this book was chosen for our Feb. read. I will start it today.

♣Tessa♣ | 16 comments I got my audio copy. Started it tonight while at the gym. Like it so far. Some of the best narration I've heard too.

message 28: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Stephanie: Yes, it is very good on audio!

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments Ooh, you guys are tempting me to get the audio....

message 30: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Carol: this is one where having both is a big advantage. I enjoyed the narration, the voices were very well done, and yet the print really helped keep up with what was going on for the segments to comment by especially.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ooh, you guys are tempting me to get the audio...."

BurgendyA | 57 comments I just started reading the novel today. Even though a friend of mine suggested to try the audiobook. Maybe I'll use both.

message 32: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments BurgendyA:
Both would probably be my choice. I enjoyed the audio, but sometimes supplementing with a print version is a plus! Enjoy the book, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

BurgendyA wrote: "I just started reading the novel today. Even though a friend of mine suggested to try the audiobook. Maybe I'll use both."

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments BurgendyA, when I was listening I was longing for a print version, because the jumping from one perspective to another was confusing. Other than that, I enjoyed the audio, so I don't think you can go wrong there.

BurgendyA wrote: "I just started reading the novel today. Even though a friend of mine suggested to try the audiobook. Maybe I'll use both."

Donnajo | 3535 comments I'm finally reading this book and have it have it finished before June for the challenge I'm reading it for. so I'm pushing myself to get so far in the book. I have it on the nook, I had the regular copy of the library book and yesterday I took that back and got the large print which my library had (the other library didn't have a copy when I got the other book) I'm 84 pages into the book. came on to watch a few you tube videos to help me try and get into it and understand what I'm reading more and I think it will help. also saw a very interesting interview with the author.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments Oops, I suggested on the NR/JF topic that you come over here, and here you are! I'll read on to see if this makes you want to read the book any more.