The Beast Within (Villains, #2) The Beast Within discussion

This take on the story: Mature or Immature?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 21, 2015 09:01PM) (new)

It is clear that this book presents itself as a "darker," more mature side of the classic Beauty and Beast story.

Could the very fact that it tries to be this way actually have the opposite effect?

To me it seemed like it didn't live up to the standards it set for itself with such over the top language and wording, often haphazardly handled. It seemed to try too hard.

It put me in mind of beginner's writing you might come across somewhere like fanfiction.net; catering to all things "dark" or emotional/angsty/romantic... Poor sentence construction, cheesy word choices, etc... Very adolescent/fanfictiony esque.

Any thoughts?

message 2: by ZQ (new) - rated it 1 star

ZQ I agree. The dark elements seemed to be there for the sake of being grimdark. It didn't help that the movie was genuinely dark and had a lot more subtlety.

Elaiyna I would definitely disagree! I believe that she is trying to speak to a younger population. She is not expecting necessarily to have adults or older teens read it. I believe that it is an amazing book. Possibly one of my favorite. It is, however, definitely very dark. However, it ties in greatly with the rest of this series. (I love the sisters).

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I was a kid when I read it.
In any case, I think the "it's just for kids" argument is always weak. There are lots of books for kids that are good quality.

I agree that the Disney movie is actually darker and deeper despite being "just a cartoon." It's more satisfying in its sincere subtlety than this immature story that was trying way too hard.

message 5: by ZQ (new) - rated it 1 star

ZQ Elaiyna wrote: "I would definitely disagree! I believe that she is trying to speak to a younger population. She is not expecting necessarily to have adults or older teens read it. I believe that it is an amazing b..."

I will admit, I was very confused by what age range this book was intended for. The sentences and plot were written in a way that made me think a younger audience was in mind, but Barns & Noble stocked the books in their YA section and some of the word choices used seem like they'd be needlessly confusing for kids.

Hayley Noble I liked this book alot. Although I did see where the immature comments could come from. I did like the way this book tied in with the others in the series, but I thought the evil queen one was a lot better. A better version of a beauty and the beast book is the twisted tales- Tale as old as time. It does change the story completely though.

Tannia For me, it came off as bad fanfiction written by a teen trying hard to be dark and edgy. The storyline was all over the place and in the end, they try to cram in a half-assed, rushed attempt of the original tale told from Adam's POV (which sucks because that's what this book promised)
The word I would use to describe this book isn't immature, but rather amateurish.

Yusra (aka liz) Well, I first read this in middle school and thought it was fine......

Danielle This book is more based on Beauty and the Beast from Adams point of view. It also establishes that there is a link between all of the villains through the three (four?) sisters. The first with the Evil Queen and then that it was them that cursed him. Then the third book comes out and concretes it that they are in fact the behind the scenes of the story.

It took not a mature look at the Beast, but more trying to understand his character and where he comes from. Make him more sympathetic in a way. In the original movie, he's got VERY little redeeming qualities, and this book tries to help explain why.