The Reading Challenge Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Readathons > Mini-Readathon for National Readathon Day

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kassandra (last edited Jan 22, 2015 10:42AM) (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments In honour of National Readathon Day on January 24, we're going to have a mini-readathon this Saturday!

This will be a casual, fun readathon starting at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, January 24th and ending that night at 11:59 p.m. Given that we have members in various time zones, please start and end this challenge according to your respective time zone.

This thread can be used to discuss anything about the readathon so feel free to post and update the group on your progress!

Happy National Readathon Day!

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Sounds like a great plan!

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Cool. I'm going to read The Ice Dragon for it as I got it from the library and will be my first ever George R. R. Martin book.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm pretty busy that Saturday, but I'd love to participate! :)

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee | 6 comments I'm in! Given my current sleep schedule, I'll probably be reading the day in. ;)

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 106 comments Sound like fun! I'm in!

message 7: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I'm so excited to see so many people already making plans to join in!

Amber, best of luck with starting your first Martin book. Let us know how you get on!

Renee, reading the day in is such a lovely expression, I may have to borrow it.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina Choy | 51 comments I will try and join. I have mh son this weekend so might be hard.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Thanks Kassandra and I will. :)

message 10: by Holli (new)

Holli (hollidemyan) | 1 comments I would love to try and join :) Saturdays are generally pretty busy for me, but I will make my best efforts.

message 11: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra (chibisuke) | 266 comments Count me in! I'm participating in another Readathon anyway, so why not join both :D Guess I'm going to take on the chunkster I'm ignoring a bit at the moment (for the sake of another chunkster) and a lighter read for breaks :)

message 12: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Punnett A great idea, I'll be joining in:-)

message 13: by Esme (new)

Esme (AthenaStorm) I'm in. Yay, now I have an excuse for staying in bed and reading.......:-)

message 14: by Becca (last edited Jan 22, 2015 06:52AM) (new)

Becca Tyler (scrappybec) | 294 comments What? Read all day? I'll try to force myself! :-)

message 15: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Wow, you're such a hard group to convince to spend the day reading :) Love it!

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie I'll be reading!

message 17: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) I'm in!! Sooo excited!! My 9-yearold will be so into this too when I tell him what day it is!

message 18: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (mesdupmoi) | 52 comments I shall do my best to join in with this. Do we just list how many pages we read or something? I have a 2 year old, so how much I read often depends on his behaviour..

message 19: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments That sounds like a fun way to spend the day, Kara.

Caitlin, I'm happy you're joining and getting your son in on the action!

Lucy, in the past we have used this thread to update each other on the progress. Each member decides how they want to track - some track pages read while others track books read. This is a shorter challenge so pages read might be more popular but it's really up to what works for you! The most important thing is to have fun with it and cheer each other on when we can. Looking forward to having you join us if you can.

message 20: by Odette (new)

Odette | 7 comments Love to join as well! Just one question, the 23rd isn't on Saturday but Friday. But I'm guessing you mean this Saturday the 24th of January?
I'll be continuing with the Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton :)

message 21: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments EEK! Thank you Odette - clearly I have my dates all confused. Yes, I mean the 24th. I'm going to correct that on the thread now. Thanks again!

message 22: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments Sign me up

message 23: by Denia (new)

Denia  Books & Baubles (deniareads) | 4 comments I want to be here too

message 24: by Odette (new)

Odette | 7 comments Haha, no worries, mistakes happen ;) And you got me checking the date and the message a couple of times as well to make sure that I didn't read it incorrectly.

message 25: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (mesdupmoi) | 52 comments Tracking pages sounds perfect - thanks! I will be continuing with Rose Madder, by the legendary Stephen King! :) See you Saturday!

message 26: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments Yay! I will be here.

message 27: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
I'm in! Apparently, I've been saving Unbroken for this Readathon. I'm looking forward to reading what you've all raved about this month.

message 28: by Evan (new)

Evan (perfect_leaves) | 97 comments I'm going to try to get through Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome. It's been sitting on my shelf for ages, might as well read it now. :)

message 29: by Evan (new)

Evan (perfect_leaves) | 97 comments Odette wrote: "Love to join as well! Just one question, the 23rd isn't on Saturday but Friday. But I'm guessing you mean this Saturday the 24th of January?
I'll be continuing with the Age of Innocence by Edith Wh..."

Let me know how you like it! I'll be reading another Wharton novel.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I'll be reading The House of Spirits and Unbroken.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate Count me in. I've just started Kydd so I'll continue with that.

message 32: by Sam (new)

Sam I'm working a 10 hour shift! and training for a half marathon afterwards but I'll still manage to fit some reading in ;-)

message 33: by Odette (new)

Odette | 7 comments Sarabi wrote: "Let me know how you like it! I'll be reading another Wharton novel."

So far I really like it, which I'm especially happy about considering that a few months back I started with the House of Mirth and couldn't really get through it (partially because I was very busy). Have you read anything else by Wharton? And please let me know what you think of Ethan Frome, it's also on my TBR list!

message 34: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments It's about 2.5 hours away from midnight for me. I'm doing my best to try and stay up to make the most of the day but I may not make it!

message 35: by Becca (new)

Becca Tyler (scrappybec) | 294 comments Since I fell asleep early last night, I started off the readathon by reading the last 50 pages of A Tale of Two Cities this morning!

message 36: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
I'm hoping this will give me the push I need to finish Wuthering Heights. Or at least make a decent way through it. I'm once again struggling to read it, but I'm starting to get into it slightly.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it this weekend.

message 37: by Julie (new)

Julie I'm reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and while doing some housecleaning, will listen to the audiobook Life After Life. Gonna read all I can today :)

Happy reading all!

message 38: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I started Fever 1793 last night. It's YA Historical Fiction, but I'm hoping to get into Unbroken today. It's gray and looks like impending snow, so I'm ready to huddle with a book.

message 39: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) So I have just finished the 327 pages needed to end War and Peace. Feeling pretty accomplished. I think I am going to take a small break and then hit the library.

message 40: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I just finished about 200 pages of The Time Traveler's Wife and now I'm going to try an audiobook as I clean the house. It's rainy outside, perfect for staying in!

Everyone is doing so well with their reading today - it all sound like so much fun!

message 41: by Becca (new)

Becca Tyler (scrappybec) | 294 comments I just finished the 242 page Shanghai Escape. This book is part of a series of holocaust remembrance books for young readers. Before reading this book, I had no idea that European Jews had escaped to Shanghai only to be persecuted there after the Japanese invaded.

message 42: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Becca, I had no idea that had happened either! I'm going to have to check out that book to brush up on my history.

message 43: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'll be reading The Ice Dragon in one sitting today for national readathon day today later. Then got to get back to Misery and my other reads.

message 44: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (mesdupmoi) | 52 comments Why is it that the day you want to read all day is the day you end up busy from the moment you wake up until dinner time!? I've only read about 60 pages so far, but I will be off soon to read plenty more! I hope to finish my book, I've got just under 100 pages left to do it :)

message 45: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments Wed im doing an all day read at the library. Mold removal in our apt.

message 46: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 106 comments Finished reading the last 32 pages of 'Assassin's Creed: Renaissance'.

Going to start reading 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' next.

Total page count so far: 32

message 47: by Becca (new)

Becca Tyler (scrappybec) | 294 comments Kassandra wrote: "Becca, I had no idea that had happened either! I'm going to have to check out that book to brush up on my history."

Since it's a young readers book, it's a very quick read. The author spoke at the school where my daughter works, and she purchased it for me. The author travels the country talking about the holocaust.

message 48: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Thanks Becca. I may have to go to the bookstore later today to pick it up

message 49: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra (chibisuke) | 266 comments Did you like Assassin's Creed, Stephanie? :)

I read Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - with a bit of an early start, I guess, but I'm also stopping now (an hour before the day is over). I think I haven't read a book in such a short time for a very long time.

message 50: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Way to go, Caitlin! I'm only at the halfway pint of W&P.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.