The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > possible 2015 Hugo nominations for TV+Movies

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ulmer Ian (last edited Jan 21, 2015 04:05PM) (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments What are the best movies and best TV episodes of 2014?

It's never hard to guess movies. TV episodes are a little more tricky. I'll probably nominate the last episode of Ascension, just for the encouragement. And you generally can't go wrong with the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones.

Here are the official categories:
• Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form): This Award can be given a dramatized production in any medium, including film, television, radio, live theater, computer games or music. The work must last 90 minutes or longer (excluding commercials).

• Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form): This Award can be given a dramatized production in any medium, including film, television, radio, live theater, computer games or music. The work must be less than 90 minutes long (excluding commercials).
tl;dr: movies and tv shows.

The related threads are:
possible 2015 Hugo novel nominations
Possible 2015 Hugo nominees -- short stories - lot's of good free reading here, even if you don't care about the Hugo. Neil Clarke of Clarkesworld stopped by. :)
Hugo Nominations Are Now Open - all the things!

message 2: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (oliviayoungers) | 115 comments So Hugos are fantasy/scifi -- but I still hands down think the best moment of television this year was that Viola Davis scene from How to Get Away With Murder.

It seems like Doctor Who always gets at least one nomination but there wasn't a single episode that blew me away this season in particular?

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Legend of Korra season 4 for long form and Interstellar of course.

message 4: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments You sure about Season 4? Season 3 had Zaheer and the Red Lotus, though! :)

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Patema Inverted. A movie hasn't made me go, "Whoa," like that since The Matrix.

message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments I think it's going to be a big showdown between Guardians of the Galaxy and Interstellar this year. I'm hoping for Interstellar.

Is there anyone else out there who really liked Transcendence?

I don't watch a lot of TV so I have no idea there. Figure you're guaranteed to see something from Game of Thrones nominated.

message 7: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jan 21, 2015 09:26PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
David wrote: "You sure about Season 4? Season 3 had Zaheer and the Red Lotus, though! :)"

Season 4 had the better overall story and huge points for bravely ending a family friendly show with the suggestion of the 2 lead female characters going off on a "romantic" holiday.

message 8: by Ulmer Ian (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments Well especially because it is a kid show (which understandably has to restate plot points repeatedly), Korra really showed no bravery by having such a subtle lesbian relationship. The resulting shrugs will maybe give Nick more courage in the future though.

message 9: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments Matthew wrote: "Is there anyone else out there who really liked Transcendence?"

I did. It got a bit silly with the nanotech towards the end, but I thought the AI modelling and genesis was done pretty well.

message 10: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments Long Form;
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Edge of Tomorrow
Godzilla

Short Form;
Something from Game of Thrones
Something from Doctor Who
Something From Doctor Who
The Flash: "The Man in the Yellow Suit"
Agents of SHIELD: "What They Became"

Because World Con attendees now represent a only a small portion of geek culture, you end up with a very predictable list of possibilities. There's always something from game of Thrones, and a couple of things from Doctor Who. Other than that, the picks above are my own.

message 11: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jan 22, 2015 05:11AM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
I think you mean "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" ;-) Don't feel too bad, I actually rented "Rise" thinking it was the sequel. Doh!

Of the few Sci-Fi movies I saw last year, I think "Lucy" and "Snowpiercer" were worthy of nomination. (of movies not yet mentioned)

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel K | 164 comments Ulmer Ian wrote: "This Award can be given a dramatized production in any medium, including film, television, radio, live theater, computer games..."

I'd rather say the game named Talos Principle tugged my heartstrings. It is immersive philosophical story about self-awareness of an AI which is played by you in this great creative first person puzzle.

As for movie i would go for Edge of Tomorrow and Interstellar (maybe the former one has the edge because its more serious and realistic one).

As for TV show i'm not sure there were any great things this year. Ascension is rather mediocre in many ways. Doctor Who is a silly comedy and low-budget sci-fi for me. What else is there? Only Game of Thrones, but i cannot say that i liked 4th season very much. Maybe just the final episode where Tyrion, you know, does right things...

message 13: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Do superheroes automatically fall into the sf/f category? Guardians was clearly SF, but Captain America Winter Soldier was just an all around stellar movie. Though it was a great bit of fun and adventure, I'd go for Winter Soldier if push came to shove.

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel K | 164 comments Thane wrote: "Do superheroes automatically fall into the sf/f category? Guardians was clearly SF, but Captain America Winter Soldier was just an all around stellar movie. Though it was a great bit of fun and adv..."

I'm absolutely agree with you. It definately goes to the top 3 moview of 2014 for me. But i doubtful if it could be placed to sci-fi list. Technically it probably should count as sci-fi.

message 15: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 184 comments Best SF TV show I've seen in the last year has been Person of Interest. The third season as a whole deserves it, but to be honest it wouldn't have much chance against the big films. If I had to pick episodes, the obvious choice is the S3 finale, "Deus Ex Machina", although you might also make arguments for episodes like "Death Benefit" and "Beta". I suspect fans though would be distracted into voting for this year's "If-Then-Else" (which IMDB currently lists as the second-greatest episode of television of all time, after 'Ozymandias')... it's great, sure, but it's not AS great as people think right now and they're going to go off it over time as the impact lessens with distance. "Deus ex Machina" has to go down as one of TV's boldest narrative decisions.

I'd say any of those episodes should be considered better than anything in GOT, DW or M.A.O.S.H.I.E.L.D. this year.