10 Minute Novelists discussion

Best Book This Week > Best book this week 1/19/15

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally Bishop (allybishop) | 11 comments Mod
Ok -- let's do something fun to kickstart our group! What's your favorite read this week? Some of us read a book a week. Let's put our favorites out there.

For me, it was Patricia D. Eddy's Shift in the Water. Werewolves, romance, elementals, and suspense. It kept me on the treadmill long past my workout end.

How about you?

message 2: by Roanne (new)

Roanne King (roanneking) | 1 comments I am finishing up Burning Sky by Lori Benton. I plan to post a review on goodreads once I am finished. It is very good--her descriptions are like poetry.

message 3: by Katharine (new)

Katharine | 5 comments I'm reading Back On Murder by J. Mark Betrand. I've been intriqued by mysteries lately -- even thinking of the possibility of writing one -- and this one besides being on a list of great mysteries was FREE on Kindle. I am very surprised by the high quality of writing, the twists and turns and LACK of bad language, graphic violence and sexual content. And this is a police procedural! I didn't know they came like this. This is definitely going to be a four star review for me and I'm just at halfway through, unless the whole thing falls apart in the end and everyone turns into singing vampires who fall in love and time travel back to Regency England.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (janesteen) | 5 comments The Martian by Andy Weir. He could do a lot better with his dialogue--there's a lot of "he said" and "she said" and it often sounds clunky--but the MC's monologues are appealing and it's a great Apollo 13-style story.

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (cmastfalk) | 10 comments Reading Shanna Hatfield's Heart of Clay. (Mainly because the lending library for Amazon Prime isn't so great. Can't seem to search it well, and I've read the books that interest me already.) Anyway, it's a nice, clean romance. Decent story, but a perfect example of too much showing and not enough telling, replete with info dumps. Trying to get to the end . . .

message 6: by Ally (new)

Katharine wrote: "I'm reading Back On Murder by J. Mark Betrand. I've been intriqued by mysteries lately -- even thinking of the possibility of writing one -- and this one besides being on a list of great mysteries ..."

Ha! Well, here's hoping it holds up to your expectations! :D

message 7: by Ally (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Reading Shanna Hatfield's Heart of Clay. (Mainly because the lending library for Amazon Prime isn't so great. Can't seem to search it well, and I've read the books that interest me already.) Anyway..."

ARGH! I hate when that happens. I see that a lot as an editor. Generally a sign of not good editing...which is why I have an article in the works about why editors need to remember that they are teachers as well. :)

message 8: by J. (new)

J. Dorner (j_lenni_dorner) | 1 comments I'm reading "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms" right now. It has its ups and downs. The ups are way, way up though, so that's cool.

There's a library described in the book. I want to go there. It sounds like Heaven. Except, you know, the books would need to be in a language I know. LOL.

message 9: by Ally (new)

J. Lenni wrote: "I'm reading "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms" right now. It has its ups and downs. The ups are way, way up though, so that's cool.

There's a library described in the book. I want to go there. It sou..."

Sounds awesome! I write in a place in New York City called "Housing Works," and everyone says that when I post photos of being there. I always find it a privilege to write among books. :) Next stop, NYC city library...

message 10: by Gail (new)

Gail Gauthier I finished "Little Women and Werewolves" yesterday. It's a mashup of "Little Women" and...werewolves. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," which was the first of the classic/paranormal horror books.

I started "Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend" last night.

message 11: by Ray (new)

Ray Marchalleck | 1 comments Dead of Winter by kresley cole. Best cliffhanger ever. Waiting a whole year for the next book