What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > I just wanted to know... how many people actually...

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raven137 (new)

Raven137 (alderpendragon) | 15 comments how many of you actually click at the bottom of a folder to look for more discussion topics? I mean... a little while ago i posted an unsolved forgotten book, and as more people posted their own topics mine went down the list... and now you have to click on the "more or so many out of so may" bar at the bottom of the folder... but yeah. back to the first question:

how many of you actually click at the bottom of a folder to look for more discussion topics?

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Willis | 9 comments I do :)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments I do too :) I usually start at the very first, very old, posts.

message 4: by Raven137 (new)

Raven137 (alderpendragon) | 15 comments that's great! i think those people really would appreciate if more people still helped people who have not found their book match for a long time. You make a good example. :)

message 5: by Tathariell (new)

Tathariell | 172 comments Whenever I have time, I pick a random "page" of posts. Haven't been able to help yet, but I'm still trying :)

message 6: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments I do too.

If you bump your post up every month or so, then more people get a chance to see it too.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
I do. I'm a mod now, but I also did it before I was a mod.

message 8: by Kokomomomo (new)

Kokomomomo | 62 comments LIGHT, you already posted this book a month ago and people replied to it then with some questions - perhaps you missed the notifications. Your old thread is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Jan 21, 2015 05:46PM) (new)

Thanks, Verena. Posts consolidated.

message 10: by Raven137 (new)

Raven137 (alderpendragon) | 15 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "I do too.

If you bump your post up every month or so, then more people get a chance to see it too."

how do you "bump up" your post?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Just type bump.

message 12: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1383 comments I just use my notifications page as my front screen. Every time I refresh it, I see all the new/updated/commented treads, and any other notifications I have.

message 13: by Teri-K (last edited Feb 05, 2015 11:23AM) (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments LIGHT wrote: "how many of you actually click at the bottom of a folder to look for more discussion topics? I mean... a little while ago i posted an unsolved forgotten book, and as more people posted their own to..."

I do, but not every day. Sometimes I start at the back and work my way forward.

message 14: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2476 comments I start at the latest and check down to where I left off last time.

message 15: by Edward (new)

Edward | 43 comments I do. I also bookmark mine and set google calendar to remind me to bump them.

message 16: by Michelle °O° (new)

Michelle °O° | 154 comments I don't but that is why it probably is a good idea to bump your book if it gets way down the page list.

I usually only look at the first 3 or 4 pages.

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott I do it only when I am looking for a particular post to see if there are new responses. Otherwise I just stick to what shows on the main page.

message 18: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1383 comments I said above, I use my notification page as my home, so I see every new thread - an each time one is commented on. Tho I don't click thru to page two and three etc. Usually once a week or so, when I have sometime that needs to be killed, I go head to the very back of the threads... pages 152 etc. I work my way back from there until I run out of time, and then next time, I head back to where I finished last time. Dates usually easier to track... Think I'm only up to Feb or Mar 2014.

message 19: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1288 comments I do look for more topics. I've gotten in the habit of checking the Unsolved board almost every day and I go down the list until I reach the point where I left off the last time I visited.

message 20: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Feb 06, 2015 11:58AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments I'm like Juels and Bargle, I have a tab for the Unsolved folder open - and just cruise the pages backwards, reading post subject lines carefully, until I find a topic that doesn't show new posts (ie: I read it last time, and nothing new has been added). I read all the subjects, and if any look interesting / solvable, I'll open 'em on my way backwards. If they're poorly written "help me!" subject lines - then I pass them by - they don't need my help, since they can't be bothered to read the 'how-to'.

A good, well-written subject line will catch my interest. That's key to getting my help, esp. on items that aren't in my particular bailiwick.

I try to check the tab once a day / when I'm bored. But it doesn't always happen, if I'm having a weekend - or a tough week, it often gets dropped.

I don't usually check the other boards/folders, I've got some posts in chat and some other places, and every once in awhile I'll hit those (or my groups), or peruse the Solved folders. But that's not a regular thing.

I worked my way quite far back originally, and I figure if anyone cared about their request, they'd hit it once a year or every two years... and that's good enough for me.

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 86 comments When I first joined I went to the older unsolved posts, even replied to a couple but mostly didn't get responses. So now I wait for the digest to come to me :)

message 22: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (coyote14223) | 17 comments I just joined this week, but I've been working the oldest first.

message 23: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
LIGHT wrote: "how many of you actually click at the bottom of a folder to look for more discussion topics?..."

That's an interesting question. These days I first look at the threads in my Notifications popup. (I also click the "Email me when people comment" link for topics I'm interested in but haven't commented on yet.) Then I start with the newest threads because these folks are around and primed to respond. Next I scan through the first few pages of topics - what you were referring to, Light. Sometimes I jump ahead a handful of pages so recent-but-pushed-down-topics aren't forgotten. The boards move along so fast!

But I appreciate that some folks prefer to start with the really old or random threads. Sounds like we're covering all the bases.

message 24: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Edward wrote: "I do. I also bookmark mine and set google calendar to remind me to bump them."

Now that's being organized. I'm impressed. :)