English 2341 Spring 2015 Class discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Practice Question: The Necklace

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 21, 2015 12:05PM) (new)

The following is a practice question that we will use in A105 on Thursday 1/22:
After our discussion about fiction and theme, answer the following questions about Guy de Maupassant's "The Necklace":
What does this story say about life?
What advice/ wisdom does it offer?

message 2: by Kenia (new)

Kenia Cuellar | 29 comments "The Necklace" reminds us of the most important things in life. Mathilde had a good loving husband, the had tranquility, she did not have to work, she had a maid, and she had everything that she needed to be happy. Mathilde thought that a piece of jewelry could represent her as a person and take place of her personality and her own charm. The story talks about how we sometimes forget about the real priorities in life and get stuck on the littlest things that are in the end not really important.

message 3: by Kristina (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:56AM) (new)

Kristina | 30 comments What "The Necklace" says about life, in my point of view, is that life is ever changing and you cannot control the outcomes of it. For example, when Mathilde left the ball after having the greatest night of her life, she lost the necklace Jeanne had loan her and thus lead to the events that made her life even more miserable that before.The advise that I got from this story is that you have to be grateful for what you have even if its not much because at any moment it may change and put you in a worst position that you were before.

message 4: by Viviana (new)

Viviana L. | 39 comments The short story "The Necklace" is basically trying to tell us the readers that not to take life for granted and to also learn how to appreciate what you have in life. Nothing comes easy you have to work for what you have. We can see that when she starts living the poor life at the end to pay off the debth that she has for the diamond necklace she replaced. Loisel was very unhappy with the life she was living. She dreamed of being a rich woman like everyone else was. The necklace made her fell happy and special because everyone at the ball appreciated her. This is the attention that she wanted all along. Life isn't always about money. Money isn't everything. Its surprising to know that when we found out that the necklace was fake her friend seemed to be enjoying life a lot more than what she was. She was suffering from the poor life for about 10 years and looked horrible. This is what happened because Loisel was more interested in what the value of what she had on that night of the ball was more important.

message 5: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo | 53 comments The Necklace mainly focuses on how some people put more attention to materialistic and loose focus on life and what they have in present.The story offers awareness not to be ambition and admire others individuals life,be proud with what you have and gain in life.In the story Matilda suffer for ten years working hard to pay off a necklace that was worthless.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 42 comments The story "The Necklace" was about how she did not appreciate her husband neither her life. Having rich things and money was what she thought was the best in life and that it was what makes her happy. What this story is trying to say about life is that you should be happy with what you have and appreciate every single moment, because you can end up in a worst situation. According to "The Necklace" by Guy De Maupassant it proves how unhappy she was like such "as if she had been denied her rightful peace of society."

message 7: by Elvia (new)

Elvia Martinez | 29 comments This story explains how some people are not satisfied with the life they have. People look at a dream sort of life that really isn't within their reach.Living life and wishing it was different leaves that person unhappy and lonely bringing sadness or unpleasantness to everyone around that person. With whatever lifestyle fate has dished out to you, you must live it to the fullest capacity. One must look at how others are faring because of your outlook on life. In the story, Mathilde begins her marriage unhappy with the choice of husband, wanting a rich man. Mathilde wasn't satisfied that he provided her with a maid or that her husband spent his last penny so she could have a dress.

message 8: by Ilze (new)

Ilze Salazar | 31 comments This story reflects a lot about our life, Most of the time we aren't pleased with what we have and are greedy for more. In this story it mentions, "Yet luxury was all she cared about; she felt that she had been born for it. she wanted so much to give pleasure, to be envied, to be alluring and admired." It shows us how Mathilde wanted to live another life A life that she nor her husband weren't able to give her.

message 9: by angel (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:56AM) (new)

angel  castillo (angelcastillo12) | 38 comments The Necklace makes Mathilde Louisel a materialistic character which symbolizes the desire having everything in life, which is a guilty pleasure that someone who doesn't have the good fortune to be rich craves with the envy that will not cease. Mathilde being a dreamer who ignores the reality of her real economy, lives a the life that is only found in her greedy desires, "But she was dreaming of refined dinners, of glittering silverware, while on the walls tapestries portrayed people from olden times and exotic birds in the midst of a fairy tale forest".
Not finished :S

message 10: by Monica (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:56AM) (new)

Monica Escobedo | 38 comments This story shows us that we have to appreciate and be happy with what we have no matter how little it is. Also,it shows how some of us can become depressed and miserable by pretending to be something that we are not; and at the end will end up being worst from trying too hard. Another thing that can be taken from the story, is that we have to be honest and tell the truth when an accident happens. As showed in the story, Madame Loisel would have saved a lot of trouble and debt if she had just told the truth to her friend Madame Forestier.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Vasquez | 37 comments I think this story says a lot about life and basically that we have to be content with what we have in each of our lives. Appreciate the little or the most that we have in all our economic, social and professional part of our lives.

It is good to be ambitious but to a certain extent because like this story teaches us, sometimes we go to the extreme to get something we want but can't have but because of our uncontrollable ambitious to have it we make decisions that can lead our path and put us in a worse place than the one we were.

Learn to love the life that you have because even though another person you know may seem to be having a better life on the outside, nobody knows what goes n behind close doors. She believed her friend to be in a great status and yet at the end, her necklace was not real. Be grateful for what you have and what is given to you because like this husband to his wife, he gave up buying his riffle to buy her a new dress but it was all to make her happy.

Honesty in this story would have saved Mr. and Mrs. Loisel ten years of hardship. They would have found out that the necklace was actually worth 500 francs and could have just paid that to replace the necklace to Madam Forestier.

message 12: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Shubin | 44 comments Monica wrote: "The following is a practice question that we will use in A105 on Thursday 1/22:
After our discussion about fiction and theme, answer the following questions about Guy de Maupassant's "The Necklace"..."

This story shows how quickly life can change, which reminds us that we need to appreciate what we have. Madame Loisel lived a comfortable life but in a moment everything changed. The story could have had a better outcome for Madame Loisel would have done a few things differently. The major factor affecting the character was her search for happiness in material possessions. This is evidenced by the statement: as if she had been denied her rightful place in society. Instead of being content with her current life, she felt and displayed a bitterness because she lived in a more humble manner than she felt was deserved. Also, had she been honest with her friend she might have found out the necklace was fake and could have spared her family much heartache.This teaches us that we need to be happy with what we have and look for happiness within.

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria | 40 comments The story "The Necklace" has a lot of meaning about someone's life and that people should appreciate what they have. As sated in the story Madame Loisel "wanted so much to give pleasure, to be envied, to be alluring and admire". Madame Loisel did not appreciate what she had and what her husband was giving her as a result she got a worst life because of her obsession with luxury. An advice giving is to appreciate what one already has.

message 14: by Amalia (new)

Amalia Lerma | 51 comments I think this story explains how in life we are always going to want more than what we have. It's in our human nature. This is great in the sense that we should achieve to get it, but we shouldn't let it get to our minds. For example, let's say you have a job as a waitress and you see that your friend that is a model. You want to be a model so bad because you see how your friend gets a lot of attention and money and seems like she doesn't have to worry about anything. Then, you begin to think if only I was a model I could have this and that and I could do this. You bring yourself down in the way that you don't value and what you have right now is not enough. I like how this story described the hard effort that the lady that lost the necklace had to go through to pay off the necklace. At the end author puts how the necklace was fake. It shows how someone can live their whole life trying to get something they think is so valuable. Right now you may not be getting much or have much but, your there for a purpose that later in life you can get something higher. Maybe a model maybe not but, it is important to enjoy what you have right now in life.

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula Rivera | 30 comments Monica wrote: "The following is a practice question that we will use in A105 on Thursday 1/22:
After our discussion about fiction and theme, answer the following questions about Guy de Maupassant's "The Necklace"..."

'The necklace' is an insight to the thoughts and dreams perhaps shared by many materialistic people. It lets us see inside the mind of an ill-content perhaps bored house wife that is unrealistically dreaming of a life full of grandeur and expensive material things.
This read can make the reader think and reconsider those possessions or moments that we personally deem valuable in our own lives. As a reader I found myself thinking that nothing is as good as it seems. Even Madame Loisel at first pictures shiny elegance with nothing but happiness and laughter, however, when she finally does get to make a purchase of high quality and expense, she not only does not keep it, but has to work 10 hard long years after to pay for the lavish necklace.
--didn't finish completely

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 40 comments This story reminds me of the classic saying "Keeping up with the Jones". Madame Loisel in my opinion did not seem appreciative of her husband or his sacrifices to make her happy, such as him giving up his four hundred francs that he had saved for his rifle and everything she already had such as her apartment, "stay at home living" and a loving husband. She wanted more. Madame Loisel was a dreamer and her mind she living in an extravagant fantasy world, where in real life she brought to reality. I think it's ok to set goals for yourself and want more in life, but then you have to think about at what expense? I think after reading this story, especially after reading the last sentence, readers can sit back and re-evaluate their own lives and appreciate what they have.

message 17: by Jorge (new)

Jorge medina | 51 comments The story tries to show audience how a simple symbol as a necklace can change people's life. what the story explains about life is that no matter how something might cost or represents. Beauty, and elegance will always be something from your inside personality and the most important is that you show who you really are in life.
One advice from the story I believe is that do not try to represent something else. (not finish)

message 18: by Luis (new)

Luis | 21 comments What this story says about life is that you have to be happy with what you have and what has been given to you. You can't go through life wanting to be someone else cause that will keep you unhappy. For example, "luxury was all she cared about, she felt she had been born for it". She did not care if she was middle class and that she had a maid, and was still able to go out in a nice dress. She kept dreaming of the fine things in life, wanting them more and more everyday. Since she was unable to reach that position in life, she felt miserable. The advise and wisdom of this story, is that be happy with what has been given to you in life and if you want to improve your position, go out and work hard for it. Don't just stand there dreaming about it. Also when in trouble, try to talk about resolving the issue and and not just assume the issue.

message 19: by Senaida (new)

Senaida Nunez | 45 comments what this story says about life is don't ask for what you can't afford and be greatful for what you have. an example of this is that Mathlide thought she was born for geat things. My advice is to be happy and thankful for what you have no matter if you think is not enough because you can be in worse situation.The wisdom that this offered was to be smater about doing things. I did not get to finsh.

message 20: by Maria L. (new)

Maria L. Lucio | 40 comments This story represent the life of several people out there.This story also shows how a simple material item such as "a necklace" can transform the reality into a dream space. Sometimes our thoughts can alter our dreams too much about having material articles that we forget about the real meaning of those articles. The necklace represent the confidence, ambition, dream, and satisfaction for Mathilde.
On the other hand, the husband was an other important element in this story because is the one who makes every come true for Mathilde, and sometimes we do not pay attention those little details in our lives.
In conclusion, we think that everything that brights is gold, however sometimes is not real.

message 21: by Lizette (new)

Lizette | 10 comments Monica wrote: "The following is a practice question that we will use in A105 on Thursday 1/22:

I believe that the story indicating that to be grateful for what you have. We all have dreams that we want to live, but some dreams are not what you really think they are. Most of the time people are blinded in these dream that they want and don't comprehend the cost that dream is going to affect your family, friends, and yourself. In the story, Madam Loisel, had a simple life with a simple husband, living a fair way of life. Unfortunately, in the story made me feel that she was materialistic person that wanted more. She was a big dreamer. She had a wonderful husband that was willing to a;most full fill her desire.

message 22: by Dave (new)

Dave Bujanos | 34 comments In the short story "The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant, presents a character named Mathilde who is a materialistic woman and dreams of riches and a life of luxury. As the story progresses, she obtains a slice of that life, only to lose it the long run. The amount of years she spends to recover from such a feat proves to be long and hard. "Madame Loisel came to know the wretched life of the poor, [and] this life lasted for ten years". (1221)
(I didn't get to finish)

message 23: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Amaro | 30 comments This story say about life that one thing or symbol can change a person point of view. As in the story, Mathilde is a poor who is unhappy for the reason that she "denied her rightful place in society". (not finished)

message 24: by Arturo (new)

Arturo | 20 comments The Necklace has a lot of lessons and wisdom it can offer. After reading this story and how it ends; makes us see the irony of how Madame Loisel dream became a nightmare. This story says about life that we should not take the life we have for granted. I didn't get to finish I was going to add some lessons this story shows.

message 25: by Katia (new)

Katia De La Fuente | 30 comments Monica wrote: "The following is a practice question that we will use in A105 on Thursday 1/22:

The necklace was an interesting reading for me because it was a little instruction about real life. It is about an abolitionist woman that she lived in a dream. she wanted to feign being a rich person. For this reason, she wanted to shine luxury and important. When she was living her dream, she felt performed and very happy. Unfortunately, her ambition cost 10 years of unhappiness.She lost the necklace that it was borrowed. Now, she had to learn that her appearance is not the most important in her life.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

hi there

message 27: by Kenia (new)

Kenia Cuellar | 29 comments Katia wrote: "Monica wrote: "The following is a practice question that we will use in A105 on Thursday 1/22:
After our discussion about fiction and theme, answer the following questions about Guy de Maupassant's..."

I agree with you, when she heard the real price of the necklace it shocked her because she realized she lost 10 years of her life for a piece of jewelry that ended up being fake; i think it also hit her that she knew that if she could have been honest with her friend, none of that would have happened.

message 28: by Paula (new)

Paula Rivera | 30 comments I completely agree with you Ilze, she should have been grateful for what she had, and its a good reminder for the rest of us to appreciate our blessings and surrounding everyday.

message 29: by Luis (new)

Luis | 21 comments I agree with what you wrote, we need to appreciate what we have in life. We also need to be ourselves and not pretend to be somebody else. I also agree with being honest and saying the truth is always the best thing to do.

message 30: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Amaro | 30 comments I agree with you Maria, we should appreciate the things that we have and be thankful for it. we shouldn't ask for more then we already have.

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Vasquez | 37 comments I agree that it was a very interesting story and the author did a very good job in expressing how unsatisfied Mathilde was with her life. Her ambitious was so extreme that it cause her husband many hours of work and she learned what it really was to work and be unhappy. I feel there are many things that can be learned and that we can reflect on of this story.

message 32: by angel (new)

angel  castillo (angelcastillo12) | 38 comments Katia wrote: "Monica wrote: "The following is a practice question that we will use in A105 on Thursday 1/22:
After our discussion about fiction and theme, answer the following questions about Guy de Maupassant's..."

Yes, being materialistic for her greedy desires only lead her to her downfall. While I can sympathize with her; the author makes really clear that we have part of her in ourselves by analyzing what a person craves when it dreams without forgetting that is there is reality after behind and front of those dreams.

message 33: by Jorge (new)

Jorge medina | 51 comments I think the same as you Mathilde tried to impressed people by showing her as a rich girl and demonstrating what she always wanted to be and by that she lost the most important on her life her beauty and elegance by just one simple symbol that didnt even worth it.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 42 comments Hello Lindsay, I agree with your statement about the story. Her life could have been differently if she appreciated life. In the story it states how she suffered for ten long years to pay for a necklace that she thought was worth a lot more.

message 35: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo | 53 comments What you mention is true some people loose focus on what they have and don't appreciated what have gain in life.They had to work for 10 years to come up and pay off the necklace that was with out a good value.

message 36: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 30 comments I agree with your statement since even after Mathilde's husband had bought her a new dress with the monies he had saved for a hunting gun for himself, she was not satisfied with that and wanted more. Her dissatisfaction with her life and "Believing she had been born to enjoy more" showed how her life was lacking in what she wanted and dreamed about.

message 37: by Amalia (new)

Amalia Lerma | 51 comments I like and agree with what you wrote. They way you explained that we need to appreciate the little things in life no matter how small I agree with. Sometimes we get caught up in wanting to have the big things in life and we forget the value of the little things we own. Madame Loisel couldn't see what she had in her life she couldn't see the blessings she had been given. She only wanted to see the blessings others had around her. Sometimes though i believe we need to focus on our blessing and what we have than on what others have because we all have different lives.

message 38: by Arturo (new)

Arturo | 20 comments Katia I agree with you on your answer for the questions she did want luxury and jewelry and to feel rich. I would also say that this story has a couple of life lessons as well. The necklace ruined the life she took for granted and showed her the life of actually being poor. You were right about your last sentence when you said her appearance isn't the most important thing now in her life.

message 39: by Maria (new)

Maria | 40 comments I do agree with you that in the story Madame Loisel is unhappy because of her place in society. Although Madame Loisel is making herself unhappy because she wants get more than what she has.

message 40: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Shubin | 44 comments I appreciate the point you brought out about going to extremes and how the outcome may be that we are in a worse position than when we began. Madame Loisel was an extreme dreamer, choosing to fantasize about a nonexistent reality. This is shown by the statement: "She would imagine gleaming reception rooms." Her life could have been much happier had she learned contentment.

message 41: by Dave (new)

Dave Bujanos | 34 comments I agree with you. I admire the fact that you brought up the husband in the picture because he has just as much of a role as Mathilde does. The fact that something so small and materialistic can have a such a great impact on our everyday lives is baffling at some point, but also can prove to be a rude awakening. I believe, just as you said, that we need to be wary about our surroundings and our own ambitions that we tend to lose sight of what really matters.

message 42: by Katia (new)

Katia De La Fuente | 30 comments angel wrote: "The Necklace makes Mathilde Louisel a materialistic character which symbolizes the desire having everything in life, which is a guilty pleasure that someone who doesn't have the good fortune to be ..."

Angel wrote a interesting paragraph about the short story " The Necklace" because he mentioned that Mathilde was a materialistic person. He recognized the importance to know the real level economy. His quote is interesting. I think Angel have to explain the quote with a very interesting paraphrase. He did fine his paragraph. I like to much because he wants to say that this short story has many life lessons, and he did focus in unreal economy of Mathilde. I like it. it was a good job!

message 43: by Viviana (new)

Viviana L. | 39 comments I do agree with what you are saying. It is true that sometimes we do have friends that probably have better lives than we do. But we shouldn't revolve our lives on what others do. We need to appreciate what we ourselves have. And like you said our lives get better and better throughout time. Nothing goes from one day to the next.

message 44: by Monica (new)

Monica Escobedo | 38 comments I totally agree with you some people are always wanting more than what they have just because they want the attention that others that have it get from it. i truly believe that by working hard and being grateful everything will come at its pace.

message 45: by Maria L. (new)

Maria L. Lucio | 40 comments Elvia, I agree with you! You have a really good point of view about the story because like you mentioned people sometimes are not satisfied with their lives such as Mathilde.

message 46: by Ilze (new)

Ilze Salazar | 31 comments In "The Necklace" it mentions, "Yet luxury was all she cared about; she felt that she had been born for it. she wanted so much to give pleasure, to be envied, to be alluring and admired." It shows us how Mathilde wanted to live another life A life that she nor her husband weren't able to give her that life style. Mathilde was never content with herself even though she had more than others she would still compare herself to the her rich friends. We have to be pleased with what we have instead of having an ambition that will never happen.

message 47: by Elvia (new)

Elvia Martinez | 29 comments I agree with your first statement. What comes to mind in my own opinion, your comment relates to my praying to God and asking for something that is far out of reach. Even though my thoughts are that God didn't answer, in reality the response was negative because God knows the future and if your request would be good for you. You are right about Mathilde materialistic and wanted to live a life of fantasy pretending to be someone she wasn't after borrowing what she thought was a real diamond necklace.

message 48: by Lizette (new)

Lizette | 10 comments Elvia wrote: "This story explains how some people are not satisfied with the life they have. People look at a dream sort of life that really isn't within their reach.Living life and wishing it was different leav..."

Elvia wrote: "This story explains how some people are not satisfied with the life they have. People look at a dream sort of life that really isn't within their reach.Living life and wishing it was different leav..."

Maria wrote: "The story "The Necklace" has a lot of meaning about someone's life and that people should appreciate what they have. As sated in the story Madame Loisel "wanted so much to give pleasure, to be envi..."

Lindsay wrote: "Monica wrote: "The following is a practice question that we will use in A105 on Thursday 1/22:

Elvia, I feel and think the same way you do on this story. Such as, "People look at a dream sort of life that really isn't within their reach" that you have mentioned in your post. I felt bad for the outcome of the story, since it could have been prevented if the main would see the bigger picture.

message 49: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 40 comments Senaida wrote: "what this story says about life is don't ask for what you can't afford and be greatful for what you have. an example of this is that Mathlide thought she was born for geat things. My advice is to b..."

I have to agree with you on this one. Mathilde didn't appreciate the life she already had and then she lost it. By being materialistic not only did their finances suffer, their health did to. The life they ended up living at the expense of the necklace could have been different had she been honest with herself and Madame Forestier.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.