The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
Our TMS Reads > Jan/Feb Book: Cinder, SPOILERS AND GUESSTULATIONS!!!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hana b (tzveyah) | 164 comments All right people! Bring it!! All those spoilers and guesses/postulates you've got about this book and the further books. Feel free to comment below throughout the book, bringing your best Sherlock theories and even your worst ones!

Katie Cunningham (kcunning) | 19 comments Cinder is totally the lost princess. I mean, come on, dad goes to Europe, comes back with a weird cyborg girl, dies without explaining anything? She's even missing parts, which could have been what was found in the fire.

Bridgett Ashley | 9 comments Absolutely Cinder is the lost princess. That foreshadowing was not subtle at all. Which, since that princess is the rightful heir, I think by the end of the series she'll marry the prince and bring peace between Luna and Earth.

Sara | 46 comments Yeah, the lost princess thing was not subtle. I'm willing to forgive it, though.

Megan (candystripe_legs) | 39 comments I need fanart of cyborg Sailor Moon, stat.

Rachel (ribbonquest) | 56 comments Megan wrote: "I need fanart of cyborg Sailor Moon, stat."

Manga Hotaru? Though I never actually read that far, so I don't know how visual the cyborg thing is...

Googling did turn up a few good pictures: http://rebloggy.com/post/sailor-moon-...

Holley | 21 comments Hana wrote: "All right people! Bring it!! All those spoilers and guesses/postulates you've got about this book and the further books. Feel free to comment below throughout the book, bringing your best Sherlock ..."

It was very obvious that Cinder was the missing, presumed dead princess.
Spoilers if you haven't read to the end of the book yet:

The girl on the other end of the D-comm is Rapunzel right?

message 8: by Ell (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ell Eastwood (ellociraptor) | 14 comments How does the name Cress relate to Rapunzel? The rest are obvious, Cinder = Cinderella, Scarlett = Little Red Riding Hood, Winter = Snow White (I'm assumig). Had never heard the word Cress before and looked it up, apparently it's a plant? Might be that is has a meaning the online lexicon didn't know of though. Or is it just that this plant grows quickly like Rapunzel's hair?

message 9: by Holley (last edited Jan 29, 2015 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Holley | 21 comments Ell wrote: "How does the name Cress relate to Rapunzel? The rest are obvious, Cinder = Cinderella, Scarlett = Little Red Riding Hood, Winter = Snow White (I'm assumig). Had never heard the word Cress before an..."

In one of the versions (or maybe most of them), Rapunzel's mother is pregnant and craving foods, as often happens. She developed a taste for a rapunzel (or rampion--same thing) plant found only in the neighboring witch's garden (a really bad idea)and convinced her husband to climb the wall and steal some for her. He eventually got caught and the witch agreed to not punish him so long as he would agree to give her the baby when she was born.

Rapunzel was named for the plant and it's leaves are used like lettuce or spinach while the root is like a parsnip or a turnip.

message 10: by Hana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hana b (tzveyah) | 164 comments Holley wrote: "Ell wrote: "How does the name Cress relate to Rapunzel? The rest are obvious, Cinder = Cinderella, Scarlett = Little Red Riding Hood, Winter = Snow White (I'm assumig). Had never heard the word Cre..."

OMG this brought me back to growing up in the 80s and watching Shelley Duvall have drug trip like dreams of the radishes next door while acting as Rapunzel's mother (and Rapunzel) in Faerie Tale Theatre (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249906/).

And yes, that makes more sense now!

Holley | 21 comments Hana wrote: "OMG this brought me back to growing up in the 80s and watching Shelley Duvall have drug trip like dreams of the radishes next door while acting as Rapunzel's mother"

Ba-ha-ha-ha! I had the same reaction at the time. I thought it was really weird.

message 12: by Katie (new) - rated it 1 star

Katie Cunningham (kcunning) | 19 comments Ugh. I'm 75% of the way through, but I have to tap out of this book at this point. I'm someone who LOVES a good romance plot, but this one makes me want to throw the book. Since I'm listening to it through Audible, I'm going to stop listening, rather than risk breaking my phone.

message 13: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 16, 2015 12:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer (truerealmommy) | 3 comments Ell wrote: "How does the name Cress relate to Rapunzel? The rest are obvious, Cinder = Cinderella, Scarlett = Little Red Riding Hood, Winter = Snow White (I'm assumig). Had never heard the word Cress before an..."

But, Cinder isn't really Cinderella if she is the missing princess, it makes her Snow White.