YA LGBT Books discussion

Old story Challenge nominations > February 2015 writing - Two winners - threads posted

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Feb 04, 2015 11:16PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments We're looking for inspiration to vote on for February 2015 creative writing - this month we'll go back to any length of writing. Flash fiction will still be fine, poems are fine, longer stories also fine.

So nominate the picture(s) (YA-appropriate) that you would like to see in the voting for story writing in February. Is there a favorite image you'd love to have inspire stories by group authors? Something that sparks your own creativity?

These can be young couple pictures but don't have to be. Whatever inspires you . Do feel free to browse our
Girlfriends - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
and Boyfriends- https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
picture threads for inspiration or post from your own favorites.

Max 3 pictures per nominator. Nominations close Midnight Jan 29th or when we have 12 to choose from. Nominations now closed; poll posted here : https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... through Feb 3rd.

We have two winners - writing threads posted.

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments

message 3: by Kaje (last edited Jan 21, 2015 09:29AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments

message 4: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments description

message 5: by Jay (new)

message 6: by Jay (new)

message 7: by Nik (last edited Jan 22, 2015 06:16AM) (new)

Nik Osmancevic | 6 comments I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!

description

message 8: by Tully (new)

Tully Vincent (tully_vincent) | 78 comments

message 9: by Tully (new)

Tully Vincent (tully_vincent) | 78 comments Kaje, #2 is so adorable. . . just makes me smile

message 10: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Wow, lots of great pictures already :)

message 11: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments

message 12: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Ooh, nice one K!

message 13: by Edyth (new)

Edyth Chamblee | 8 comments Kaje wrote: "We're looking for inspiration to vote on for February 2015 creative writing - this month we'll go back to any length of writing. Flash fiction will still be fine, poems are fine, longer stories al..."

I like them all how do I choose! They all make me proud! The SYFI one is amazing

message 14: by Kaje (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:53PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments We'll vote for a winner at the end of the month, but yeah, every month it's soooo hard to choose.

If you haven't already, you might like to take a look at the Girlfriends and Boyfriends picture threads (I put links in the first comment box.) So many lovely LGBT couples on those threads, it's heartwarming to look at them :)

message 15: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments I have to say that I'm feeling choice overload. All of them are great. How about going with top 2 at the end of the vote?

message 16: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Jay wrote: "I have to say that I'm feeling choice overload. All of them are great. How about going with top 2 at the end of the vote?"

Maybe - if the top two have similar totals and very different feels to them, I have done that.

message 17: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Kaje wrote: "Jay wrote: "I have to say that I'm feeling choice overload. All of them are great. How about going with top 2 at the end of the vote?"

Maybe - if the top two have similar totals and very different..."

True. Two similar prompts would not help.

message 18: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Kaje wrote: "If you haven't already, you might like to take a look at the Girlfriends and Boyfriends picture t..."

Just wanted to add something here.. Whilst yes, these threads are heartwarming and cute, there is no reason why your photograph has to be of a couple.

While this group did grow out of the M/M Romance Group initially I like to think that we've moved forwards to embrace a wider remit.

These stories don't have to be romance based... in fact, sometimes it's really nice to see other YA stories with a non cis-gendered het main character. There is a whole rainbow spectrum of characters to write about, and situations to put them in.

I find my pictures by searching for random images on the net.... just go for it, browse around until you find something that jumps out at you and says "write about me"

message 19: by Kat (new)

Kat (cutestsubever) Bild

message 20: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 583 comments

message 21: by Kaje (last edited Jan 23, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments K wrote: "Kaje wrote: "If you haven't already, you might like to take a look at the Girlfriends and Boyfriends picture t..."

Just wanted to add something here.. Whilst yes, these threads are heartwarming an..."

Agreed - (Hence the cat :) And those last two are both worth a look.

I meant that someone who loves the pictures posted here may really enjoy cruising the sweet pics on the couples threads.

message 22: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Ooops, sorry I didn't mean for it to come across as a criticism.... more just a general comment!

message 23: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments #19 offers the chance to go historical, alternate reality, and/or foreign. Very evocative.

message 24: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Kaje wrote: "K wrote: "Kaje wrote: "If you haven't already, you might like to take a look at the Girlfriends and Boyfriends picture t..."

Just wanted to add something here.. Whilst yes, these threads are heart..."

That's why I've started putting any m/m young couples on the boyfriends page as well as here as prompts. I try to have any m/m couples I post have a hint of story to the photo, not just two hot guys sharing a moment of tenderness. Not always successful, but that's the goal.

message 25: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments K wrote: "Ooops, sorry I didn't mean for it to come across as a criticism.... more just a general comment!"

I did not take the comment as criticism but just opening things up to other possibilities.

message 26: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments K wrote: "Ooops, sorry I didn't mean for it to come across as a criticism.... more just a general comment!"

Nope - I thought maybe I hadn't made it clear enough, because I absolutely agree. The picture of the coffee cup with a smiley drawn on it was one of our most popular prompts. :)

message 27: by Kaje (last edited Jan 29, 2015 07:20PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Since we have twelve pictures I'm going to close this thread to nominations and get the poll posted.

POLL is Here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Vote through Feb 3

message 28: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments This is going to be tough.

message 29: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Oh yeah! If two very different pictures are close, I'll do two threads.

I did leave the results visible, so people can change their vote if desired, when they see how it's coming out. (votes are still anonymous, but the totals should be visible after you vote.)

message 30: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments We had a tie, with two very different pictures, so I posted two writing threads. Have fun.