CVHS Honors English discussion

35 views
Animal Farm Question 1

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_crowley) | 15 comments Mod
What are the qualities of a good leader? What might be the reasons why a government might be overthrown?


message 2: by Felicity (new)

Felicity Newman | 11 comments The qualities of a good leader are trustworthy, reliable, responsible, and persistent


message 3: by Felicity (new)

Felicity Newman | 11 comments The qualities of a good leader are trustworthy, reliable, responsible, and persistent. These qualities tie in together what the role of a leader is. A leader cannot rule effectively if he doesn't have the trust of his followers because they won't obey someone whom they don't trust. Also, being responsible is key because people are trusting you with their lives and God given rights. Therefore you must be responsible to take on such a huge task. Thats also ties in with reliable because you must have a record of always being in your place and doing your work completely. Any leader without these qualities has a shy chance of ruling with completely control and effectiveness because many, if not all, his citizens will be less convinced that they are suitable for the job of ruling over a group of people when it seems he cannot rule over himself first.


message 4: by Alexander (new)

Alexander | 9 comments Qualities of a good leader would likely include selflessness, skill, intelligence, and responsibility. A government would probably be overthrown in a situation in which it does not have powerful enough control over its people to prevent such an event, if the people of the nation had been convinced that this government was negative, or where the government is otherwise considered unjust or incompetent. Not only would there have to be existing oppression within the nation, but the people would have to not be so indoctrinated or ignorant as to ignore it.


message 5: by Troy (new)

Troy Anderson | 7 comments Qualities for being a good leader are being realistic, trustworthy, responsible, and being loved by his/her people. The reason governments have been able to be overthrown is because the leader of said governments may lack some of these qualities, especially being loved by their people. It doesn't matter how well a person governs if their people hate them, because hate transfers into rebellion.


message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Nguyen SquarePants | 21 comments Qualities for being a good leader are being trustworthy, honest, honorable and respected among st others. Leaders must put others before themselves in order to even consider themselves as a leader. In a situation where a government were to be overthrown, it would be because the government would be too selfish to care about the people and would only take advantage of the people. Governments are seen to be overthrown when the society contains too much poverty within its people. However, there are some occasions where governments are overthrown because how oppressive the government is towards it's people.


message 7: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Skousen | 18 comments Some qualities of a good leader are being trustworthy, responsible, and being respected by the people. The leader needs to be trustworthy so that they provide many of the things that society needs and not what they want. The leader needs to be responsible so that the group can run efficiently, and the leader needs to be respected by the people so that they can keep their role as leader.


message 8: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Skousen | 18 comments Governments can be overthrown by the leader not having any of these qualities. For example if the leader is not trustworthy of responsible the people will rebel against their poor leader. Also if the leader is not liked by the people then the people will revolt because they do not like the leader and because if the leader doesn't like the people this will reflect on his leadership. Usually it is oppressive rebel.


message 9: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Skousen | 12 comments A great leader needs to goal-oriented and charismatic. The leader needs to know what the people want and have a plan to give it to them. A government might be overthrown when the leader loses sight of the goals made, and when it fails to see what the people want and when the leader cannot stop attempts overthrown.


message 10: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Murrell | 15 comments A good leader, in my opinion, must have an immense care and devotion to their followers. They must be able to make hard decisions and stand as a voice for their followers.
A way that a government might fall would be if the leader chose they wanted over what the group wanted, or if their leader wasn't always present with their group.


message 11: by Eden (new)

Eden | 9 comments the qualities of a good leader depend on the audience/people he is trying to please. A good leader is a good leader in the eyes of his people. A government might be overthrown if the government isn't doing its job correctly in the eyes of the people. If the majority of the people aren't happy, then the "good government" is now void in its plausibility.


message 12: by Jerry (last edited Jan 29, 2015 11:23AM) (new)

Jerry Star | 14 comments A good leader should be honest and respectful of others. Also, he must be selfless and be willing to do whatever is necessary for the community to thrive. A good leader must be devoted to their cause and he must be responsible as well. They must set goals and do their best to achieve them. Another good characteristic is that a good leader must be liked by the community. A government might be overthrown if the people feel that it is not working, or if the leader is taking advantage of his power.


message 13: by Ellinore (new)

Ellinore Duncan | 18 comments A good leader should be someone with varied skills. They must have real world and book knowledge in order to fully control the farm. They must be able to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of the people they are leading and make the tough decisions that others would hesitate to make. These characteristics are hard to find in one person, this means the pigs will most likely have a flaw and lead to corruption of their freedom.


message 14: by Ellinore (new)

Ellinore Duncan | 18 comments Eden wrote: "the qualities of a good leader depend on the audience/people he is trying to please. A good leader is a good leader in the eyes of his people. A government might be overthrown if the government isn..."

I agree with this because a leader should vary what their decisions are based on the people that they are leading.


message 15: by Ellinore (new)

Ellinore Duncan | 18 comments Troy wrote: "Qualities for being a good leader are being realistic, trustworthy, responsible, and being loved by his/her people. The reason governments have been able to be overthrown is because the leader of s..."

I agree with this because a person must be brave in order to make decisions for the people even if the decision will not be appreciated by everyone.


message 16: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Skousen | 18 comments Tanner wrote: "A great leader needs to goal-oriented and charismatic. The leader needs to know what the people want and have a plan to give it to them. A government might be overthrown when the leader loses sig..."
I agree with this statement because to be an effective leader you have to be able to give the people what they want so that the people won't rebel.


message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 7 comments There are many things a good leader needs to be but one of the most important is to know what is going to happen next and be ahead of the game. A leader who is one step ahead of everyone else is one who can be trusted to do the right thing, smart because they know what they are doing to stay ahead and they give the people what they want including peace of mind and knowing that they are safe in that leaders care and that they are committed to help until the end and not rebel against their group or country.


message 18: by Aira (new)

Aira (airavalera) | 21 comments A good leader is someone who sets an exemplary example for all people. They are passionate about what they do and are confident in doing it. They are able to function in tough situations and keep their mind focused on the main goal the leader is striving for. A government might be overthrown when the citizens under said leader(s) are treated unjustly. If the government is unable to fix any problem, it is likely they will be overthrown. If the government holds too much power over the people and controls every aspect of their life they will be overthrown.


message 19: by Aira (new)

Aira (airavalera) | 21 comments Sydney wrote: "A good leader, in my opinion, must have an immense care and devotion to their followers. They must be able to make hard decisions and stand as a voice for their followers.
A way that a government ..."


I agree with this because to be a good leader you must be caring but also firm in making tough decisions to better the people even though they might not see it at first.


message 20: by Aira (new)

Aira (airavalera) | 21 comments Eden wrote: "the qualities of a good leader depend on the audience/people he is trying to please. A good leader is a good leader in the eyes of his people. A government might be overthrown if the government isn..."

I agree with this because there are different needs for different groups of people and if a leader can tend to those needs and make those certain people people happy then he is a good leader regardless of the needs of other groups of people not under that leader's control.


message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick Yeager | 6 comments The qualities of a good leader are dependability and selflessness. If a leader can not be dependable to follow through in their promises then no one will trust their word to make their society a better place. The selflessness really helps since they would not be thinking about the benefit of them but only about the community.


message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick Yeager | 6 comments Aira wrote: "A good leader is someone who sets an exemplary example for all people. They are passionate about what they do and are confident in doing it. They are able to function in tough situations and keep t..."

I agree since their passion is what will encourage them to thrive and love what they do.


message 23: by Nick (new)

Nick Yeager | 6 comments Ellinore wrote: "A good leader should be someone with varied skills. They must have real world and book knowledge in order to fully control the farm. They must be able to sacrifice themselves for the greater good o..."

I agree especially with the book knowledge. This is especially important since this is essentially what seperates the humans from the animals. The books allow them to see into the minds of a human and find a way to be greater than them.


message 24: by Aira (new)

Aira (airavalera) | 21 comments Felicity wrote: "The qualities of a good leader are trustworthy, reliable, responsible, and persistent. These qualities tie in together what the role of a leader is. A leader cannot rule effectively if he doesn't h..."

I agree with this because in order to run a good government one most have the trust of their followers and that happens by being dependable and responsible.


message 25: by Aira (new)

Aira (airavalera) | 21 comments Tanner wrote: "A great leader needs to goal-oriented and charismatic. The leader needs to know what the people want and have a plan to give it to them. A government might be overthrown when the leader loses sig..."

I agree with this because a leader should put into consideration the thoughts of the people and follow through with their needs.


message 26: by David (new)

David Andelin | 2 comments I think that many will agree with me that there are certain characteristics that distinguish a good leader from a bad one. Some of which include selflessness, perseverance, good work ethic, determination, intelligence, rhetoric, charisma, dominance, humility, and the list goes on. To be a good leader, one must be liked and respected by his followers and keep their interests in mind, as well as what is best for them. A good leader must not be afraid to make tough decisions that will be the best for the well-being of those depending on him. He must also not look to leadership as a source of personal power or gain, which will lead to corruption and the collapse of his leadership. A government would be overthrown exactly because of this. If the government is being partial towards themselves and against the good of the whole, they will not last long enough to enjoy their unjust power.


message 27: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Buer | 21 comments A good leader needs to be genuinely concerned about the well-being of those he leads. Otherwise, he will just end up becoming corrupt and taking advantage of those around him.


message 28: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Buer | 21 comments Mike wrote: "A good leader not only knows how to throw an awesome party, but is also capable of maintaining it. You want the party to be really sick, but you have to be able to clean up before your adult figure..."

I think Mike has a good point because being a leader means taking responsibility and helping your followers to have a good life, but you also need to make sure your decision doesn't affect other people in close relation to you.


message 29: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Buer | 21 comments Nick wrote: "The qualities of a good leader are dependability and selflessness. If a leader can not be dependable to follow through in their promises then no one will trust their word to make their society a be..."

Nick is correct because in order to become a leader in the first place you need to be able to show people that you are dependable


message 30: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 8 comments The qualities of a good leader so someone who is humble, wise, and does what is best for everyone. A reason why a government may be overthrown is due to lack of some of these leadership qualities. A leader who is greedy and selfish may end up running a dictatorship where everyone is suffering.


message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie Solliday | 20 comments A good leader should lead for their people and not themselves. They should not be manipulative or lie. A government may be overthrown when a leader does not cooperate with the people. If they try to make situations better for themselves, they may be making situations worse for others.


message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie Solliday | 20 comments Aira wrote: "A good leader is someone who sets an exemplary example for all people. They are passionate about what they do and are confident in doing it. They are able to function in tough situations and keep t..."

I agree that a good leader cares deeply about what they are doing. However, all good things must come to an end. Every good leader will at some point no longer be able to hold that power, and will become corrupt.


message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie Solliday | 20 comments Eden wrote: "the qualities of a good leader depend on the audience/people he is trying to please. A good leader is a good leader in the eyes of his people. A government might be overthrown if the government isn..."

I agree different people lead in different ways, and many of these ways can be considered "good leadership". It depends on the people being ruled over, but also what the leader is controlling. It depends on the society and how the leader puts out their laws.


message 34: by Riley (new)

Riley Herman | 23 comments The qualities of a good leader are responsibility, honor, and wisdom. It is important that a good leader cares for others and only makes decisions for the good of the community. They must put the needs of other's before there's. There are many reasons as to why a government might be overthrown, such as an unhappy community. A government that is greedy, selfish, or abusive in any way will anger citizens and will increase the chances of getting overthrown.


message 35: by Riley (last edited Feb 08, 2015 03:02PM) (new)

Riley Herman | 23 comments Taylor wrote: "A good leader needs to be genuinely concerned about the well-being of those he leads. Otherwise, he will just end up becoming corrupt and taking advantage of those around him."
I agree with what Taylor said, because if a leader does not care for the people that they are leading, this would cause the leader to abuse thier power.


message 36: by Riley (new)

Riley Herman | 23 comments Katie wrote: "A good leader should lead for their people and not themselves. They should not be manipulative or lie. A government may be overthrown when a leader does not cooperate with the people. If they try t..."
I agree with what Katie said about a good leader doing his job for the people and not for themselves. If they only make decisions that benefit themselves, they would not be a reliable leader that could be depended on when trying to grow as a community.


message 37: by Brian (new)

Brian Nguyen SquarePants | 21 comments Jerry wrote: "A good leader should be honest and respectful of others. Also, he must be selfless and be willing to do whatever is necessary for the community to thrive. A good leader must be devoted to their cau..."

I agree with what Jerry said about being a good leader. A good leader must fulfill his duties and must be able to sacrifice his needs for the benefit of others. Because the community depends on the leader to make decisions, it is important that a leader must make the right decision in order for the community to thrive.


message 38: by Brian (new)

Brian Nguyen SquarePants | 21 comments Katie wrote: "A good leader should lead for their people and not themselves. They should not be manipulative or lie. A government may be overthrown when a leader does not cooperate with the people. If they try t..."

I agree with what Katie said about being a good leader. A good leader must not be oppressive towards their people. By being too oppressive to their own people, the leader will soon be corrupt and let the greed of power consume them.


message 39: by Cammie (new)

Cammie Shaul | 19 comments A good leader should have qualities that benefit the people they govern. They should be trustworthy and responsible. They should know the difference between what is wrong and what is right in a society. Also, a good leader should always keep his or hers people in mind when making decisions that impact a lot of people. People should be able to confide in a good leader and be able to trust them. A good leader should not lie or be oppressive towards their people. They should be open minded and able to take constructive criticism.


message 40: by Cammie (new)

Cammie Shaul | 19 comments Katie wrote: "A good leader should lead for their people and not themselves. They should not be manipulative or lie. A government may be overthrown when a leader does not cooperate with the people. If they try t..."

I agree with Katie that a good leader should lead for their people and not themselves. Because if a leader leads for themselves then that tends to cause many problems for the society.


message 41: by Cammie (new)

Cammie Shaul | 19 comments David wrote: "I think that many will agree with me that there are certain characteristics that distinguish a good leader from a bad one. Some of which include selflessness, perseverance, good work ethic, determi..."

I agree with David that a good leader should defiantly have good work ethic. I believe that a good leader should be able to work effectively with their people


message 42: by Scottie (new)

Scottie Poulsen | 11 comments Michelle wrote: "What are the qualities of a good leader? What might be the reasons why a government might be overthrown?"

Responsible, trustworthy, loyal, helpful, courteous, kind. If a leader doesn't have these qualaties they may be overthrown.


message 43: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Skousen | 12 comments Tyler wrote: "Some qualities of a good leader are being trustworthy, responsible, and being respected by the people. The leader needs to be trustworthy so that they provide many of the things that society needs..."

I disagree a leader does not need to be trustworthy a leader can control what the people see and hear. Hitler may not have been a good person but he brought Germany out of a significant economic crisis.


message 44: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Skousen | 12 comments David wrote: "I think that many will agree with me that there are certain characteristics that distinguish a good leader from a bad one. Some of which include selflessness, perseverance, good work ethic, determi..."

I agree with Mike's metaphor a leader should look after his people before he looks after himself.


message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_crowley) | 15 comments Mod
David wrote: "I think that many will agree with me that there are certain characteristics that distinguish a good leader from a bad one. Some of which include selflessness, perseverance, good work ethic, determi..."

Good points. And plenty of recent examples of this from around the world. Egypt, for example.


message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_crowley) | 15 comments Mod
Mike wrote: "A good leader not only knows how to throw an awesome party, but is also capable of maintaining it. You want the party to be really sick, but you have to be able to clean up before your adult figure..."

Love the metaphor. Anything else on your mind about leadership?


message 47: by J.r. (new)

J.r. Holloway | 8 comments A good leader should kind, fair, selfless, respectful, and cognizant. You must be able to make the country happy but also make hard choices and sacrifices. A country could be overthrown by being opressed for a very long period of time. For example, in Animal Farm, the animals were treated like salves by Jones for many years and they couldnt take it any longer so they snapped and overthrew the government.


message 48: by Vianella (new)

Vianella Burns | 10 comments Ellinore wrote: "A good leader should be someone with varied skills. They must have real world and book knowledge in order to fully control the farm. They must be able to sacrifice themselves for the greater good o..."

I agree with this because a leader should be someone who is not only book smart but also street smart.


back to top