The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

Book Critique

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sqgathers605 (new)

Sqgathers605 I believe the book was alright. Even though the storyline was developed and involved a lot of Greek mythology ( which I enjoyed), it missed the opportunity to captivate its audience by confusing readers through the use of different narration forms without a clear transitions and defined boundaries. Another aspect that made this book more enticing to read was my similarity to some of the characters, such as Grover, Percy, and Luke.
For the next book I read, I would like for the storyline to be just as involved but with more realistic violence such as that seen in the video game "God of War."

Kelly Brigid ♡ Sqgathers605 wrote: "I believe the book was alright. Even though the storyline was developed and involved a lot of Greek mythology ( which I enjoyed), it missed the opportunity to captivate its audience by confusing r..."

This book's audience is aimed at 10 year olds, so...there's 10 year-old level violence.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

News Flash: 12 yr olds even 15 yr olds i know love this book.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Kylee wrote: "News Flash: 12 yr olds even 15 yr olds i know love this book."

I'm well aware that 15 year olds have read this book. Heck, I know adults who've read this series. I was just saying that this book was made for a 10-12 year old audience, so the violence isn't going to be too gruesome.

Robert Wright @Sqgathers605 - Not sure what you mean by "confusing readers through the use of different narration forms without a clear transitions and defined boundaries."

I found the narration quite compelling and typically easy to follow for a book written at a 4th grade reading level.

Of course, I'm quite a bit older than that and still found the books enjoyable, if not terribly deep or complex.