Stephen King Fans discussion

Dark Tower Series > Chronological Reading ?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 52 comments Hi,
I'm not quite sure if this topic has been discussed before, but if so I hope I may add my thoughts as well...
I'm attempting to "catch up" with my Stephen King chronological reading but I'm in need of some clarification..
I'm saving the "Dark Tower" series to be read as a separate arc at one time. But, as I've been led to believe "The Eyes Of The Dragon" and "Insomnia" contain elements that are important to the Dark Tower.. is this the case ? Should they be read within the framework of the DT when I start the DT as a whole or can they be read as separate novels?
I just recently finished "The Dark Half" and "The Stand" so it looks like the next book in the chronology would be "Needful Things".... am I going in the right direction?

message 2: by Becky (last edited Jan 21, 2015 07:56AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Eyes of the Dragon & Insomnia do have tie-ins to The Dark Tower series, but they are not PART of the series. So no, you could read them separately unless you want to read all of the DT and DT related books in order... which would be kind of cool, actually.

Here's a list that someone put together - maybe it will help for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-True...

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 52 comments Thank You, Becky for that great list. Just what I needed.. a sense of direction.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) No problem! :)

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Oh, just be careful with that list... the info about why each book is on there could be spoilery.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 52 comments I'll be careful. I'll just follow the title suggestions. Thank you again so much.

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments I can say that the three best recommendations from the linked list are Salem's Lot, Insomnia, and Hearts in Atlantis. The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon are great and really add to it, but I sort of don't feel that those are necessary to read before or during The Dark Tower books (but they should definitely be read)

I think that something is lost in The Dark Tower series if you do not read the three I mentioned first. The only one of the three I did not read before I read The Dark Tower was Hearts in Atlantis - and I felt like I missed out a lot because of that.

I am sure others have different opinions that what I have written . . . but it covers how I felt about it.

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Also - I noticed that list must be old because it does not include The Wind Through The Keyhole, which can be read either between Book 4 and Book 5, or after the whole series when it was originally released - I don't think it matters.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hearts is a hard one to place for me. If you just go by our world chronology, I agree it should be close to first, since it takes place in the early 60s. However, all of the references it makes to the DTU (Dark Tower Universe) are from the tail end of the series, so by the time you get there, you've read so much in between that it could be hard to remember.

I actually think it makes the most sense to read Hearts and then Everything's Eventual (the story itself) right before The Dark Tower. Not only because it's then relevant and fresh for the characters that we'll meet in The Dark Tower, but it ALSO has a more relevant fear and dread attached because of what we saw in Song of Susannah. It just fits better there, to me.

I also think Insomnia should be read somewhere around books 5, or 6 as well, because it sets up the whole 'creation' thing. Just my personal preference there.

message 10: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 50 comments I've been reading the Dark Tower series and am on The Wolves of Calla. I didn't read Eyes of the Dragon, but I did read The Wind Through The Keyhole, which I enjoyed very much.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 50 comments I've been reading the Dark Tower series and am on The Wolves of Calla. I didn't read Eyes of the Dragon, but I did read The Wind Through The Keyhole, which I enjoyed very much.

message 12: by Terri (last edited Jan 23, 2015 10:54AM) (new)

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 149 comments I'm reading Hearts now and yes, the Dark Tower is mentioned in Part 1.

message 13: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Amber makes a good point: Do you want to know about all the little intricacies and connected story lines prior to the Dark Tower, or do you want to encounter them for the first time in the Dark Tower series and then read the "origin" stories later?

I think either is fine, it would just be what you prefer.

message 14: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Anthony | 16 comments I started backwards. First King book I read was 11/22/63, which was the best book I read that year. Then Hearts in Atlantis and other of the later stuff. Really liked Mr. Mercedes and thought Revival was pretty good.

When I started reading the earlier books, I enjoyed them but not as much. After reading his book,On Writing, and learning more biographical info, I decided he is a better writer now that he is sober.

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Dennis wrote: "I started backwards. First King book I read was 11/22/63, which was the best book I read that year. Then Hearts in Atlantis and other of the later stuff. Really liked Mr. Mercedes and thought Reviv..."

Or at least still as good a writer now that he's sober.

message 16: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Wilkins It's good that I read this thread, because, for some odd reason, I had been led to believe that Eyes of the Dragon was a prequel to The Dark Tower, much in the same way that The Hobbit is a prequel to Lord of the Rings. I've actually been waiting to read 'Eyes' first because I thought that was the way they were supposed to be read. Now I can (and probably should) continue on without it!

message 17: by Trent (new)

Trent (stephenkingaddiction) | 152 comments dang that link doesn't work

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 52 comments Hi Trent,

FYI, the Amazon link above seems to be working, now.
Just to let you know.

message 19: by Chris (last edited Jan 26, 2015 02:59AM) (new)

Chris King | 152 comments http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Rock-Sto....

Sorry to complicate things but this might be of interest to you.Long days and pleasant nights.

message 20: by Trent (new)

Trent (stephenkingaddiction) | 152 comments Non of the links work for me maybe on a computer instead of my phone