Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Girl Who Chased the Moon
This topic is about The Girl Who Chased the Moon
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Allen, Sarah Addison - The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Informal Buddy Read; Start January 27, 2015

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 21, 2015 07:41AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

Book synopsis:
In her latest enchanting novel, New York Times bestselling author Sarah Addison Allen invites you to a quirky little Southern town with more magic than a full Carolina moon. Here two very different women discover how to find their place in the world—no matter how out of place they feel.

Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother’s life. Such as, why did Dulcie Shelby leave her hometown so suddenly? And why did she vow never to return? But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew—a reclusive, real-life gentle giant—she realizes that mysteries aren’t solved in Mullaby, they’re a way of life: Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbor bakes hope in the form of cakes.

Everyone in Mullaby adores Julia Winterson’s cakes—which is a good thing, because Julia can’t seem to stop baking them. She offers them to satisfy the town’s sweet tooth but also in the hope of rekindling the love she fears might be lost forever. Flour, eggs, milk, and sugar . . . Baking is the only language the proud but vulnerable Julia has to communicate what is truly in her heart. But is it enough to call back to her those she’s hurt in the past?

Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily’s backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

Stacie  (cowmingo) | 4759 comments Oh I'm so in for this one!

message 5: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4961 comments I requested it from my library. Shouldn't take too long since there was no wait for it as far as I could tell.

Jackie | 1891 comments I just got the ebook from my library.

Bella | 34 comments I've read this one, its fab! hope everyone enjoys it. I love the authors writing. such an easy pleasurable read.

Nikki | 28 comments I'm in :)

Jackie | 1891 comments I am so bummed! Went to my local Barnes & Noble yesterday and saw where Sarah Addison Allen had been there for a reading and book signing last week. So sorry I didn't know. I would have loved to meet her.

message 10: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4961 comments I have my copy and can start soon.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Have my copy but need to speed read something else before the 1st. Will read this after that!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) That is a bummer, Jackie!

message 13: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi | 663 comments when is this starting?

Jackie | 1891 comments The start date was Jan. 27 but I just started. Enjoying it so far. It has the same feel as Garden Spells and The Peach Keeper.

Bella | 34 comments As any one started? I might read again and read along.

Nikki | 28 comments Just finished chapter 1, intriguing so far. Hopefully everyone has started? I've never read this before or even seen it so decided to give it a shot and join in on my first buddy read too :) hope to read more tomorrow when I'm awake :)

Nikki | 28 comments I managed a quick chapter this morning, I have to say the dynamics between characters in this book are quite confusing, not in a bad way but in a good way as in there isn't a way I can predict what will happen next which for me is great I love the sense of mystery and secrecy so far.

Jackie | 1891 comments Nikki wrote: "I managed a quick chapter this morning, I have to say the dynamics between characters in this book are quite confusing, not in a bad way but in a good way as in there isn't a way I can predict what..."

So glad you're joining in on this buddy read! I've only read through chapter 4 so far but I'm intrigued by the characters and the mystery.

(view spoiler)

Nikki | 28 comments Yeah have to admit I don't have the drive to finish this one in one go as it seems a bit full on heavy but I'm pushing through the chapters in the hope I get to the story soon lol

message 20: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4961 comments I'm on disc 2 not sure what chapter that is at the moment.

Emily & Julia (view spoiler)

message 21: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4961 comments Jackie I am wondering that same thing.

Nikki | 28 comments Lol ah audiobook?

Jackie | 1891 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I'm on disc 2 not sure what chapter that is at the moment.

Emily & Julia [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I haven't started yet. I need a book that takes place in NC so I'll read this for that challenge, but I can't start the book until I am given the go-ahead by the challenge master. Soon, though!

Bella | 34 comments starting as soon as I can dig my copy out, currently bedbound with glandular fever. So should get some reading time in!

Jackie | 1891 comments Sorry to hear that, Bella. Get well soon.

Jackie | 1891 comments Through chapter 9.

(view spoiler)

Bella | 34 comments Thank you. It's given me a headstart on my challenge!

message 29: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4961 comments I had to put this down to read a book for a timed team challenge in another group. I couldn't make this work for the other thing.

But since the other thing is timed, I should be able to pick this up again in the next day or two. I want to finish it to count for what me be the last week of TTIII

Jackie | 1891 comments I finished. Really enjoyed the magical aspects of this book and liked the main characters. I love Ms. Allen's writing and hope she will write a follow up for these characters like she has just done for Garden Spells.

(view spoiler)

Nikki | 28 comments I also really enjoyed the magical aspects of this book and the way the main characters were portrayed made it so easy to feel empathy towards them, I can honestly say I've not read anything by this author previously but I will be taking the time to add some of her work to my want to read list.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl Who Chased the Moon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah Addison Allen (other topics)