The Fellowship of the Ring The Fellowship of the Ring discussion

Frodo's luck and (possibly) fate

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angie Is it just me or was Frodo "fated" to have bad luck since the beginning?

It is just that in the book seems more remarkable than in the movies.

I listed some of the things that happened to him until now:
-His parents died in a boat
-He got shunned by some hobbits because he started to live with Bilbo and was declared as his heir (which had to be a good thing, but it wasn't).
-He had to finish Bilbo'business after his birthday party, receiving complains of hobbits.
-Received the ring
-Had to give up Bag End to Bilbo's enemies
-Had to be persecuted
-The paths he though to be more secure, turned to be not secure at all.
-He calls the attention even though he doesn't want like in the Tracing Pony
-The Ring corrupts him more than with Bilbo

And this is just before he got stabbed by the Nazgul

What do you think?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sorry, but I've read this discussion three times over and I still don't really understand what you mean. Could you explain further?

Angie Do you think Frodo has been unlucky even before he had the Ring?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, thanks :)

Well, I don't belive in luck or people being fated to undergo things, but I do agree that several bad things had happened to him before the ring.

I think that all these things that happened were nessasary for both the development of the story and the development of Frodo's character.

They showed how Frodo could have seen Bilbo as a father figure. Frodo being willing to undergo these thing shows how much he cared abbout Bilbo and The Shire and how he was willing to take on tremendous burdens for those he loved.

Elentarri That's not bad luck - that's just living a real life dealing with real people. Sometimes "bad things" happen. Sometimes good things happen. I suppose it depends on how you deal with it.

Kelly Brigid ♡ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Ioanna It's discussed by the wisest that Frodo is meant to bear the Ring, and in a lot of ways, I think that what he faced in the past has only prepared him better for this task. I do believe that, the way LOTR is written, Frodo was the only one who could successfully complete this task.
Bilbo's finding of the Ring and Frodo's parent's death certainly lead to Frodo having the Ring to take to Rivendell in the first place. The fact that his spirit was so similar to Bilbo's when it came to being curious about the world outside and wanting to do the right thing was also both something that pushed him both towards being Bilbo's heir and the Ringbearer, and towards being the right Ringbearer.
The mockery and dealing with the Sackville-Bagginses were a natural extension of that.
While the "short-cut" through the Old Forest was certainly not as easy as Frodo had expected when he chose to take it, it was still better than the road, let's not forget that it led to Merry having the dagger/sword from the Barrow and (as they used to belong to the men who dwelt in that land, who fell in battle against Angmar) was therefore deadly to the Witch-king, a very important death! So while it seems like bad luck, it could just as well have been a touch of fate to ensure that the head of the Nazgûl would die.
The Ring corrupts him more than Bilbo simply because he actually has a purpose with the Ring and is constantly thinking of it because he is carrying it. The Ring is also more desperate because it knows Frodo means to destroy it, so it tries harder to corrupt him and to reveal him to enemies; for example by slipping onto his finger in the Prancing Pony.

But, while Frodo appears to have been destined to carry the Ring and destroy it, he could not have done it without Sam, who is the real hero of the Lord of the Rings. Sam is incorruptible and goes through all the difficulty Frodo does with about half the praise. Even Tolkien stated that while Frodo was the main character, Sam was the real hero all along... In my opinion, showing that it's not destiny that makes you a hero, but who you are. Because Sam was never destined to go with Frodo. He went with him and helped him complete his destined task because he was a good friend.